x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Tinybook support only

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-04-29 4:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I believe that we will soon see many CE6 netbooks hit the market, so I decided to start a post to consolidate information specific to an orphan machine, the Samsung Tinybook T706.

Support for this device is non-existant. Here is what I have discovered through many phone calls.

Samsung did not manufacture the Tinybook, nor did it have any part in its support or sales. The primary vendor that actually released it did so through a now defunct website called Exstreamvision.com.au.

There were actually 3 versions of the Tinybook released. The T700, T702, and the T706. The T702 was a touchscreen device.

The last distributers were from Jokerag.com.

If someone has a user's manual, it might be worthwhile to convert it to pdf format for others. I'd be glad to do that if someone doesn't have the capability. Just scan the pages or photograph them with a camera and send them to me in an email.

SINCE THIS ORIGINAL POST, THE USER MANUAL HAS BEEN ADDED TO DEVICES AND SPECS ATTACHMENTS AREA[black]

PDF files for those brochures mentioned above attached

Attachments
----------------
Attachments t700sheet.pdf (368KB - 14 downloads)
Attachments t702sheet.pdf (264KB - 10 downloads)
Attachments t706sheet.pdf (359KB - 40 downloads)
Attachments germanpdf.pdf (375KB - 5 downloads)
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2010-04-29 7:51 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Rich,
That photo and name look a lot like the Veus tiny book. However, it looks like that tinybook uses Linux...

Do you think this Veus company might have bought them out?
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2010-04-29 8:05 PM
#
Rich: Mine has a sticker on the bottom saying that it was made for O-Digital (o-digital.com exists and sells electronic gadgets but i couldnt find the tinybook listed). Also that brochure is all wrong. The photo isnt correct nor are the specs. My machine is 667mhz with 256mb ram and 1 gb nand. 7th Avenue also sells the tinybook (though their specs and photo dont really match up either). At any rate, might be worth while to check into those 2 sites and make some more calls. I never bothered because i'm trying to hack the bootloader to boot linux from SD card, but a recovery file would be nice to have. The internal hardware is identical to the smartq7's, so if you're curious about whats inside there's plenty of data sheets on those machines.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-04-29 10:00 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Thanks RTFM...after your info I contacted O-Digital. I also spoke with a gal in New Mexico who has one. She tells me hers is a T706 as well, but runs at 533mHz. She bought it last July at some CES convention and that brand new it came in a generic box without a user manual at all. Hers, she claims, is extremely slow. Another person I contacted is totally fed up with hers as well and said she has no paperwork and has never been able to find any support.

I'm assuming this is another example of some Chinese endeavor with a lot of plastic labels to slap on the devices.

Mine also has the O-Digital label on the bottom, along with a Softmaker 2008 serial number/sticker for the full version to reinstall...one of those proof label thingies...

Check out this webpage: http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2009/cebit2009/joker_tiny_books.shtm...

And this one: http://www.weltdergadgets.de/cebit-2009-reviewnvidia-joker-ag-htc-p...

I know the pictures don't look like ours...but someone must have these devices.

Yoldering, that site you have posted shows a netbook clone identical to all the those newer Chinese things, just like my Augen eGo...arrrghhh!

For what it is worth...the term Tinybook is startig to get overused. Just like the Veus Yoldering mentioned, I see it advertised here: http://www.seventhavenue.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=47722&ke...

Note that it is called a Tiny Book...two words, not one like the T706. Also note that it appears identical to the Veus and all the other clones we are seeing.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2010-05-03 2:22 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Tinybook T706 specs:
Samsung ARM11 cpu running @ 667mhz
256mb DDR ram
1gb nand partitioned 3 times. 128mb hidden (\pocketmory\), 128mb labeled System Disk, and 512mb labeled as Flash Driver.
7" screen w/800x480 resolution
1 SD card slot
2 USB slots (host. works with mice, keyboards, cdrom drives and external hard drives)
1 Mini/micro USB slot (works for activesync with supplied usb drivers)
1 Headphone jack
1 Microphone jack
Built in wireless
Built in ethernet
Built in microphone
Built in stereo speakers
Built in camera (takes pictures and video, but not as webcam)
Battery life 5-7 hours depending on usage (wifi enabled or not, screen brightness, etc)

Pros:
VERY fast to boot (7 seconds)
VERY quick and responsive (no lag starting most apps or viewing menus + icons)
Powerfull enough to play 700mb divx videos without having to reencode them to lower bitrates
Plays Doom 2 full speed
Speakers actually sound pretty good and are quite loud
Built in mic is nice for built in Skype (no need for external mic to lug around)
Brightness applet actually *works*
Built in lid switch shuts off screen when closing the lid
Comes bundled with a legit OEM bundle of softmaker office (not illegal or trial versions)

Cons:
CE Internet Explorer 6 is outdated and still slows to a crawl on most heavier websites. (however thats a winCE issue not an issue with the tinybook)
No built in flash plugin for IE
No known recovery procedure or recovery file.

All in all, great device.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-05-03 4:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Oh, you might all be interested to know that the actual registered manufacturer for this device is (try saying this 5 times quickly):
Matsunichi Communication Holdings R&D (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd.

Their postal address is:
43B/F, INTERNATIONAL CHAMBER OF COMMERCE TOWER
FUHUA RD3 CBD
FUTIAN DISTRICT
SHENZHEN
CHINA
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-05-17 7:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I've been playing with .NET Compact Framework software this morning. Lots of fun. If you've never done that, you should give it a try. Here is one site that is a good place to start: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/bb735326.aspx

For instance, scroll down to Delmar and download the Delmar Alarm Clock if you want a nice HUGE clock. I mean I love to turn a $100 notebook into a $9 alarm clock. Anyways, this is a simple one that does the job....among many others. Screenshot below running on my Tinybook

(pc_capture1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments pc_capture1.jpg (21KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
Valentin
Valentin Page Icon Posted 2010-08-12 7:18 AM
#
how do you get the wireless to work on the thing?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-27 3:42 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

There is a software program to turn on the wireless. If it is not on your desktop, go to the Windows folder and search the applications...you'll find it.

Flashing this thing...

No luck so far, but I did discover that if you hold down the right mouse button while powering on, AND you have an SD memory card in the slot, you get the message "System Update. Waiting..."

Perhaps I just don't have the right folder on the SD card, but at least now I know how to make it look for something....
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2010-08-27 7:27 PM
#
Awesome. How'd you figure that out? I tried numerous key combos and never thought about the mouse buttons.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-27 7:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Downloaded the SmartQ7 stuff and read through them, and the only instructions were to hold down the "menu" button with the SD card in place. So I figured I'd try it.

I did it before, with every key, but nothing. But when I read about having the "SD card in place," I stuck one in the slot and went through the process again.

Imagine my surprise when I got to the bottom of the keyboard and tried the right-mouse button and saw that text on the screen!

Now if I could just find a flash for it. I'm sure it is looking for the right folder and file name....and I just haven't found it yet.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2010-08-28 8:50 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Details, please. I'm intrigged.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-28 9:06 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I simply was cleaning up the registry file on the device, nothing more. I decided to delete some keys that I thought were remnants...that obviously were not. Now my device, when I turn it on, does the loading thing on the opening screen, and as the hashmarks move from left to right showing it is about done, when it gets to the far right...the device stalls and does nothing else.

I corrupted the registry, and in the process turned a beautifuly little device into a paperweight. My only chance would be to flash it with a good image to restore the registry. But I can't even find anyone, O-digital or anyone, who knows where to obtain such an image.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2010-08-28 9:31 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Does it act as a mass storage device when connected to the PC? Or is it able to establish a connection with AS?

Edited by Alt Bass 2010-08-28 10:09 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-08-28 10:24 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Rich, have you tried connecting the device to a PC during the boot process to see if ActiveSync connects? I did this with my Augen eGo, and was able to use CERegEdit on the PC to edit the eGo's registry.
 Top of the page
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 52 - Executed queries : 28