x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Tinybook support only

« Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next »
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2011-11-15 8:03 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yeah, I'll compare the registry settings of the two to see if there is any clue.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2011-11-16 4:59 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Problem was solved!

Edited by CAuser 2011-11-16 5:38 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-16 9:03 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Well done; glad it worked out. I've had a little success myself and can now sync with ActiveSync.

Rich, a CEPIMs hacking question for you. TB won't install CEPIMs (TecAce.PB30_ARM.cab), but going back in the threads, in the Augen Sync thread, you said:

"Yeah, I was talking about the CEPims. I actually copied the cab file over and installed it fine and it made the registry entries for me..just had to edit the cab file to accept any cpu and not just Arm/Xscale."

Could you illuminate about the cab file editing? How would I go about that?

Still can't believe I have an ActiveSync connection

Jake

Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-16 10:22 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I took the plunge, and cribbing from CE Geek's helpful object.reg file in the Augen, I added sync keys to the registry, and up popped TecAce Calendar, etc as choices in ActiveSync.

But if you do have a moment, Rich, any cab editing tip would be much appreciated.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-16 12:05 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Most of the old arm cab files are keyed to open/install only if you meet the software requirements. That is you have a minimal version of CE installed, and the proper cpu. Most arm cab files are keyed to install only on arm/xscale cpus.

The newer CE devices use a cpu that wasn't around at the time the program was compiled for installation, that is it doesn't report to the cab that it has an arm/xscale cpu, even though we know the instruction set is compatible.

So you have to use a program like OCP's cab manager to open the cab file and change the cpu type for arm/xscale to all/cef. You also have to make sure that the cab is not limited to a single platform, or that when the cab file is saved that it is compressed (a lot of pocketpc and CE6 programs are). Once you make those 3 changes, you resave the cab file and it will open and install on any CE computer, even a MIPS computer.

It won't run of course on a MIPS device, but it will install.

Anyways, a lot of these old ARM cab files are set for arm/xscale cpus and need to be modified to install on the TB...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-16 1:58 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Very kind of you, Rich, to give such a detailed response. Your summary will hold me in good stead if I can figure out a way to get HandBase to work on a CE 6 device.

If editing can make any cab installable on any OS, you could bring tech support of any targeted company to its knees: "But it said it installed. I saw it."
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2011-11-17 7:13 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Ok, I found system.hv at \pocketmory\Documents and Settings. This is the file the system uses during booting process. Along this line, I would think user.hv controls the access.

Edited by CAuser 2011-11-17 7:16 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-17 7:54 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I guess a follow-up question would be: can these files be put on an sd card and used for reflashing the OS? Doesn't appear to be the case.

Jake
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2011-11-17 8:43 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

The HV files are hive files, which contain the registry settings.

It really looks like we should create a sticky thread that indexes or extracts all the wisdom about the TinyBook. I'm saying that for the good of the community, not just because one is on its way to me.... Ooohhh noooooo!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-17 12:32 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

That was my question Jake...can you copy the system.hiv and user.hiv files onto an SD card, then update a locked or bricked Tinybook by holding down the right touchpad button when powering on when the SD card is inserted?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-17 1:01 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I just bought a bricked TinyBook from GodMedia (for the battery).

Hasn't come yet, but I'm willing to guinea-pig it when it does.

Are those two files copyable to an SD card? And do I need others, do you think?

Jake

Edit: Hmm. They do not appear to be copyable. I get a share error, telling me they're in use.

Edited by Jake 2011-11-17 1:05 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-11-17 5:25 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Try copying them using Total Commander...sometimes that works with other ways don't.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2011-11-17 5:29 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'll see if I can copy all of the contents under \pocketmory. BTW, I found restore.exe somewhere on my TB. Hopefully, that's a useful program.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-17 7:32 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Total Commander didn't want to copy those files, either. @CAuser: if you can get those files out of the TinyBook, and uploaded somewhere, then I can do a lot of experimenting, since this particular TinyBook is already bricked.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2011-11-17 7:32 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-17 7:40 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

In the meantime, with gratitude for Rich's cab help, I have good news:

1) If you're connected to ActiveSynch, and start MobiPocket, it'll sense the TB and want to install mobireader.arm. The desktop will send it to the machine and the machine won't install. Edit the cab from arm/xscale to all/cef. This will install and then you can sync to desktop MobiPocket. The great thing is, the MobiPocket in RTFM's wondrous collection of apps has a *much* better GUI. So you essentially use mobireader.arm to install and synch, but use RTFM's to read the *.prc's.

2) Microsoft Entertainment Pack for CE 2.0: edit those cabs from arm/xscale to all/cef and they will install nicely. Each cab seems to want to create a Games directory, so I kept renaming the directory of previously instally game to Games1, etc., and then finally moved them all to Games. They even come up on the Start menu in Games.

Caveat: Sink The Ships doesn't start after reboot, and sometimes, it won't restart even before a reboot. Oh, well.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2011-11-17 8:08 PM
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 29