x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Tinybook support only

« Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next »
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-17 7:46 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Finally, a question that deserves its own fearful post: RedGear cab installation. In my quest to put HandBase on the TinyBook, I've done the arm/xscale to all/cef cab edit to all the RedGear cabs.

But I'm very worried about bricking the machine, so haven't done an install. I know its .dlls in \Windows (and RedGear.exe) will need to be copied over with each boot, but I'm apprehensive about the registry changes.

I won't hold anybody to anything, of course, but what's your opinion about forcing a RedGear install? I PM-ed Isotherm about using his app in WinCE 6, but I haven't heard back.

Jake
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2011-11-17 7:49 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yeah, I'll try my part using my limited skills. Hopefully, restore.exe looks for hv files and image (nk.bin) though we don't have the image yet. Be extremely careful with registry change. I once deleted a value because I could not edit it. Afterwards, I could not add a new value. Maybe, my registry editor is not fully compatible with TB.

Edited by CAuser 2011-11-17 7:54 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-17 8:11 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I've found that reg bug as well. Kinda scary. I ended up deleting the whole key and starting again (I hate that )

Sometimes, I get an error that that the new key can't be made, but there it is anyway...

Tricky stuff,
Jake
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2011-11-18 12:50 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Here's the files you need attached below. I had created a backup of my tinybook before i ended up bricking it. Speaking of that, i still have a near mint condition tinybook with charger if anyone wants it. It powers on but freezes up just as the desktop starts loading. $25 +shipping to anywhere in the U.S. Send me an email @ wicked5850 at yahoo dot com if interested as i don't log in here everyday.

Cheers.

Edited by RTFM 2011-11-18 12:53 AM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tinybook-mky-files.zip (0KB - 8 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-11-18 5:33 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Jake - 2011-11-17 12:11 PM
Sometimes, I get an error that that the new key can't be made, but there it is anyway...

TRE gives that error message a lot. Then you have to close and reopen it before editing it. That's why I use Total Commander for registry edits whenever possible.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-18 5:42 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

RTFM, thanks for stepping in. Am I correct in assuming that those two files don't contain registry stuff? In the /pocketmory directory, there's a bunch of stuff, including a 2.6mb file which I assume is the actual OS.

How were you able to copy those two files? Perhaps using your experience, I can put the entire directory onto an sd card.

CE Geek, I'll try using TC for reg edits.

Jake
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2011-11-18 6:01 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I can copy user.hv but not system.hv. The message is "The source or destination file may be in use". Restore.exe is under \Windows\StartUp. ActiveSync can't see \pocketmory from a host machine.

Edited by CAuser 2011-11-18 6:29 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-18 6:38 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I get the same error messages, the same results with ActiveSync.

Jake
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2011-11-18 9:26 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Edited by chiark 2011-11-18 9:26 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-11-18 9:12 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

God, if that doesn't sum it all up for me...
Jake
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2011-11-19 4:52 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Well, system.hv, default.vol, and another user.hv inside a directory called "default" one level down can't be copied. I wonder if a hex or binary editor would help to copy the contents of those files. I guess that's risky. Editing those files may turn a TB into a brick.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-11-19 5:40 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Can they be renamed? I seem to recall this being possible with the Netbook Pro, which also has a hive registry. Then, when the device is restarted, it creates a new system.hv and user.hv while leaving the renamed files intact.
 Top of the page
BigRoam21 Page Icon Posted 2011-12-24 5:51 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello Gentlemen,
I have the T706 TinyBook. I am new and not too savvy with this technology. I have synced the TB to my XP desktop. Reading the posts, I downloaded Opera mini and successfully installed it ( Thanks moderators), but i still cannot access flash objects on the net, it keeps asking me to update flash. There is a shortcut on the desktop that says "flashPlayer" which is macromedia flashplayer 5.0. Is there any way to update this?
Also, Skype is installed, but does not seem to work, any advice?
I am also interested in installing the M$ entertainment pack, but one thing at a time.
Thank you all and happy holidays!

Edited by BigRoam21 2011-12-24 6:11 PM

(Picture 46.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Picture 46.jpg (88KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-12-24 6:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

When the Tinybook was produced...the current version of flash used back then is different than is used now. I'm not sure if anyone has installed a current working version of flash on their Tinybooks yet.

As far as installing the MS Entertainment pack...that is much easier and works 100%. You can either install the individual components of the CAB files manually, or an easier method is this:

1. Install the OCP Software cab manager program on your desktop.
2. Attempt to install the MS Entertainment Pack. The files will not install because when the program was written, the CPU type for the Tinybook wasn't yet made.
3. Go to the Activesync folder and find the ARM cab files for the programs you want to install and open them up with the OCP Cab Manger program.
4. Click on the "cabinet" command then "properties"
5. Select the "cabinet" tab and then for the cpu type, select ALL/CEF and then resave the file.

You should now be able to copy the CAB file to your Tinybook and tap on it to install the program. Be sure to save it an an area on the Tinybook that will maintain the program after you shut down....
 Top of the page
BigRoam21 Page Icon Posted 2011-12-24 9:55 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you for your quick response. I will try this and update this post. Any ideas why the pre-installed skype does not work? gets stuck at "signing in". I assume the problem is either related to login authentication or software.
Really, no Flash?is youtube or disney, nickelodeon, etc. out of the ??
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.217 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 10