x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Data Evolution...Where Are You??!!

1 2
dazz
dazz Page Icon Posted 2005-06-21 11:48 PM
#
Many here probably knew and loved the Clio HPC and been eagerly awaiting the new Clio NXT for a while. Data Evolution has been making a lot of promises but seem to be falling down flat when it comes to keeping them.

In the fall of last year I had been promised a pre-production unit to review but it never came, despite having promised on a number of occassions.

In February DE announced they were offer discounts to those willing to put a downpayment on their device and that it would be available in April.

The latest from Data Evolution is that they will be showing the Clio NXT at the NECC conference at the end of this month but they have not even secured a booth there yet!

Even more disturbing, I received an e-mail from one of the resellers Data Evolution had included in their most recent press release, and this distributor is not even able to get anyone to communication with them!

I have posted about this on my site: http://smartmobileassets.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?,v=display,b=news...

Either Data Evolution is in serious trouble or are just terrible at communicating with Partners, Press and customers.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-22 1:04 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i'm afraid this is more an issue of having serious problems than just being terrible at communicating.. the first is more likely than someone just this terrible
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-22 7:20 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Nice job Darren, I've posted your article in the news threads.
dazz
dazz Page Icon Posted 2005-06-22 11:24 AM
#
Thanks Chris.

It's a real shame DE has not done a better job with this. I know a lot of people were keen on seeing the NXT, including myself.

I'll let you guys know more as I find out.

Thanks for linking, Chris.

Darren
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-22 12:32 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Data Evolution => Data Extinction ...
dazz
dazz Page Icon Posted 2005-06-22 12:55 PM
#
Snappy! - 2005-06-22 12:32 PM

Data Evolution => Data Extinction ...

Ha! I was going to write the same thing in my post!
dazz
dazz Page Icon Posted 2005-07-07 12:04 AM
#
Well, Data Evolution did not show up at the NECC conference, just as I figured they wouldn't. They have posted a message to their site about the new release date being sometime this fall.

Ya, whatever. Truly, there has been no products whatsoever from Data Evolution (they just bought the rights to the Clio device) so we have no way of knowing if they can even bring one to market. So far it doesn't look like they can.

Hey, I'm still waiting for an OEM to make an HPC device with a usable keyboard that runs Windows Mobile on it. That would be nice!
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-07-07 1:27 AM
#
dazz - 2005-07-06 10:04 PM
Hey, I'm still waiting for an OEM to make an HPC device with a usable keyboard that runs Windows Mobile on it. That would be nice!

That would be incredible, but somehow I doubt we're going to see it

Edited by corporate 2005-07-07 1:27 AM
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-07-07 3:38 AM
#
H/PC Elder

dazz - 2005-07-06 9:04 PM

I believe Windows Mobile for Pocket PC is not allowed to run on such a device, because it would introduce incompatibilities due to the form.

Toshiba kinda forced Microsoft to support VGA on PPC (much like Sony forced Palm). They risked a lot by releasing a product that costs more to develope and produce, in return for a non-standard feature that may not be supported by the software developers, and therefore their customers. It would be even trickier and, more importantly, riskier to release an HPC that way. But hey, it could happen.
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-07 3:53 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ehh, i don't like windows mobile... but the compatibility would be great for sure..
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-07 7:27 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

WM2003SE and 5.0 licensing restrictions have been relaxed, and it can operate on a clamshell device.
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-07 8:44 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Ya, whatever. Truly, there has been no products whatsoever from Data Evolution (they just bought the rights to the Clio device) so we have no way of knowing if they can even bring one to market. So far it doesn't look like they can.

It makes one wonder how a company like that can survive for so long without releasing a product!?

Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-11 7:02 PM
#
H/PC Elder

http://brighthand.com/article/Release_of_Clio_NXT_Cathena_Delayed

Enuff said ...

The next-generation Clio will have many features not available in the original, such as built-in Wi-Fi, a larger screen, a 400 MHz Intel XScale processor, industry-standard USB connectivity, and multiple memory card slots.

The first Clio had little or no multimedia capabilities, while the upcoming model will have an MP3 player and audio input/output ports.

The Clio NXT will run Microsoft's Windows CE .NET 4.2 Professional operating system.

by the time the NXT is released (in 2010 maybe? ), the XScale 400MHz should be at bargain price and they should be able to do production ... oh wait, no, its out of production, so NXT will be delayed again!
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-07-11 9:48 PM
#
Snappy! - 2005-07-07 6:44 AM

It makes one wonder how a company like that can survive for so long without releasing a product!?

Ever heard of the Phantom? It's still around
dazz
dazz Page Icon Posted 2005-07-11 9:49 PM
#
It is pretty amazing they are in business but I have a feeling it is basically a one person show.

I had been speaking with Hal Goldstein of PocketPC magazine and he mentioned that the OS itself is really only designed to double-up on the pixel to take advantage of the higher res but is not really designed to be a true VGA. Still, so many have installed the mod that allows them to view WM in VGA that I would think someone would include the ability to at least switch between.

Who knows, maybe MS has something in their agreement that procludes OEMs from making a true VGA device. <shrug>

One of the readers at my site seems to have been recruited as an unofficial spokesperson and is convinced the wait is a good thing. I don't think the delay is about improving things though, but rather about a lack of $$. There is no way Data Evolution would wait so thy can include a new processor of more RAM because there would be no end to that wait.

The only thing I think is a ligit reason to wait would be because of a new process that would allow them to sell these for $499!!
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 30