x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Magellan roadmate 2200t

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2010-05-17 4:52 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I bought the above cheap to use on my Honda . The unit is wAterproof and has a sd slot and USB port. It includes a music player photo viewer app which are hokey. I hope to convert it to an all around ppc with pIM .

It has a Ce5 core. There are hacks I found and I wonder if anyone here has experience updating it to a full PDA ? Or even experience just converting it to a crossover model.

Oh ya, I finally caved and found a 32gb iPod touch cheap and bought it. It really sucks compared to a hpc for PIM, it even sucks compared to a ppc but may be with time it will get better

Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2010-05-18 12:48 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Funny, I bought a RoadMate 1420 two weeks ago out of necessity... BTW, what is cheap? I love my GPS even though it does not have the MP3 or photo App... Hahah...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-05-18 1:34 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Wow...32gb...wonder how many songs you could put on that thing, and if you did, how long it would take to listen to it from beginning to end. Maybe it would be nice to be able to add apps to your auto gps however. I could see how reading an Mobipocket ebook while driving down the highway could be a useful timesaver, or looking at your family photo albumn. "...and here's a cute one of little Billie....screeech...CRASH!"

Yoldering, you joined the gps crowd? Out of necessity? Gee whiz, that's the same reason I bought a small road atlas. Since I don't have one, I'm forced to only drive where I know I am. I do however save gas these days. I'll get one installed when my Alzheimers gets worse so I can find my way home...if I can remember where that is.

I'm thinking I would like one of those car radios you see advertised in the new Fords...where you just talk and say something like, "Play Johnny Cash" Of couse I would also say, "Skip all the rap music."

Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2010-05-18 1:48 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Wow Rich, I thought I was reading a letter from my grandfather...

My printer was out of ink and we were taking an anniversary trip. It was so nice to drive in to town, decide to have Mexican food, look up the exact place we were looking for on the GPS, and get turn by turn directions... Not to mention the directions we got the rest of the weekend...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-05-18 11:17 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I'm probably as old as your grandfather. Don't get me wrong. I love gps devices. I'm sure they probably saved my life a couple of times. More than once I relied on them 100% to find my way back to the car in a total whiteout blizzard when I used to snowmobile in Alaska. Without them, I would have never made it back. Used them all the time marking my kill spot when hunting moose and then ferrying the meat back to my truck. Still use them in my boat to mark fishing holes, or when I'm racing my sail boat and want to lay a marker with the fewest tacks possible.

I just never had a need to use them in my car, though I have played with them a few times with my HPCs.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2010-05-18 1:21 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Well, the story has two sides. When the baby comes, my mother in law will be driving around all over Austin. I figured I could tell my wife I wanted to get one for her mother while at the same time have one for all of the road trips we take. I got it at a pawn shop for around $60

I had never used a GPS ever. I grew up in the Austin area and pretty much know it better than most people. Anytime we went anywhere else in Texas, I would either write down the directions or print them.

I never realized that most GPS systems have POI's built into them. For instance, when we were leaving the coast last weekend we were thinking we would want some food in about an hour. I looked for a place along the way, called ahead and placed an order. When we arrived, we picked up our food, ate, and left while the people who were in line before we arrived were still waiting in line...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-05-18 3:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The gps apps for cellphones are getting so powerful these days, I wonder how much longer we will see designated units.

BTW, any device that can get food served to me quicker is well worth any investment.

Pawn shops...hmmm, I wonder how many gps units are in those places that are so hot they are hard to touch....
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2010-05-18 9:41 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hey guys, interesting take...

First, I paid $35 for the roadmate. As indicated , it's good for a motorbike, easier to see than my hiking gps. I really can't be bothered remembering stuff like directions anymOre.

I think the dedcated units have life in them. Lots of places I travel have poor cell service. And downloadEd map/directions are only good if you have no detours/sdetrips.

Doubt I'll use half of the iPod memory....

Yoldering , when's the big event?

I doubt I'll use a fracti
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2010-05-19 1:34 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

On or around the 5th of July... Can't wait!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2010-05-19 4:17 AM
#
H/PC Elder

lots of joy when the baby arrives!

I've loved every minute since my daughter arrived ...

As for gps stuff I never got a hpc to fully work with a gps.! Had limited sucess but would love to try some more.

I bought ms st2008 which includes the Pharos USB sirf 3 gps. It's designed so the gps puck can be mounted in a variety of interfaces. It came with the USB I/f but a CF sleeve, very pricy, is available. IF I can get the cf sleeve I can use the Pharos in my hpc rigs!

I need to pick a platform and stick with it for all my needs....I'm driving myself nuts buying new rigs to mess with. Haha
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2010-05-22 3:14 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I got the raodmate all sorted out.

flashed it with new firmware then loaded miopocket on it. Miopocket turned it into a full pda so now I have less stuff to carry on the motorbike.

went from a mp3 player, handheld gps, crummy cellphone and palm tx /ipod to just the roadmate and cellphone.

I know I could do all I wanted with just an iphone (i think) but the idea of having an expensive iphone out in the rain mounted on my motorbike handebar is not appealing.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2010-05-27 11:32 PM
#
H/PC Elder

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tard here can't figure out how a simple ppc screen rotate program works.

I need to rotate the roadmate for some things to run and when I hit the rotate choice this weird little box pops up.

Without further delay....

(Capture001.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Capture001.jpg (18KB - 5 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-05-28 12:10 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That "weird little box" is MoveWindow.exe, which means the "Rotate" button is linked to MoveWindow.exe instead of Rotate.exe. Unfortunately, I don't know what the registry keys are for those "Volume," Taskbar," etc buttons, so I don't know how to link them. If you can access the native explorer.exe, you can execute Rotate.exe directly. (Or, if the "Start Menu" is the native CE one, you can try executing Rotate.exe from the command line, either through the Run dialog or through the Command Prompt [cmd.exe].)
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2010-05-28 11:06 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ce, thanks for the tip. I'll mess about when I have some time to do so.

So far.....well let's just say the hpc/pna/ppc bug is rearing his itty bitty nasty head in my direction.

Methinks my playing about with this stuff isn't done. haha
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-05-29 8:36 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

We hope it isn't.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 10