x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

The last CE5 netbook I am going to buy

1 2
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-05-26 9:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Okay...got one of those CE5 slower (248mHz) netbooks today. Picked it up because I wanted an all white one. Has the ARM926 cpu. Anyone had any luck trying to upgrade this one?

When you boot you are prompted to hit F1 to update the system. If you do, you are then prompted to enter the password: ZTK. When you do that, you get the screens below. I'm sure all I need is a good XIP.nb0 file. Anyway, I always wanted an all white one....

(Picture 001.jpg)

(Picture 002.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Picture 001.jpg (52KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments Picture 002.jpg (35KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-05-26 10:38 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's basically identical to my Konaki Netbook Wonder. Specifically, the processor is an Anyka AK7802, a version of the ARM926EJ-S. Check the OpenANYKA forum; there may be an updated CE 5 image, but no CE 6 image that I'm aware of.
 Top of the page
bitbank Page Icon Posted 2010-05-28 1:51 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Does your title imply that you're fed up with WinCE netbooks and you'll never buy one again or that you've found a great one which suits your needs and can stop searching?

L.B.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-05-28 2:21 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I suspect neither . . .
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2010-05-28 9:03 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I will buy one the day I see something more like Sig3 in size with good screen size (touch screen would be best) and good cpu (tegra, snapdragon, cortex etc.)

Until then I suspect Sig3 will stay with me. Even if someone did one of these but dropped the touch pad and made the device same size as keyboard I may be more likely to grab one.

John
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-05-28 9:43 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you manage to find or dump a rom for it, let's get it into h/pc:update. I can see a time in the not too distant future when all of these no-brand manufacturers have died a painful death and we'll be getting a flood of corrupt rom reflash requests.
 Top of the page
ojejoe Page Icon Posted 2010-05-28 12:14 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Can you dump the rom using DiskRW.exe?
What is this XIP disk, Execute In Place disk, never heard about this.
How can you load new rom into this device, is there SD slot?
How big is the Flash2 disk?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-05-28 1:02 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The reason I am through buying netbooks is I don't want to become like CEGeek! I can barely stand in his shadow when it comes to collecting. The only thing I have over him is that I have bricked more of these than he has.

After playing with the majority of them, I'd have to say that my favorite, hands down, is the Tinybook. Just faster, double memory, and built better. However, there is something to be said for the VT8500/VT8505 machines where you can build your own custom rom much easier and flash it as well.

This last one I bought, the all white one, has the latest CE5 flash on it...so until someone comes up with a CE6 build, I'll stick with it as it is. I haven't tried to flash anything yet, but I imagine all I have to do is copy the bootloader and bin file to an SD card and stick it in the slot and select the proper screen command. Seems quite a few people have tried this already with the Chmbook.

Guess my next step will be to one day try and dump the rom on this one.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2010-05-29 9:21 PM
#
H/PC Elder

And so we can start having reviews of these devices on hpcfactor? Pretty please?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-05-30 1:18 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Good idea.

I'll put one together on my cheapo Chinese machine this weekend and have it ready for publishing ASAP....
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2010-05-30 2:25 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I got one too. They said CE 6, but it came with CE 5.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2010-05-31 6:46 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Um, I can't access Yahoo! mail. Nor can I use YouTube (it says your browser is not supported). We really need an updated image. I thought the seller was going to give me a tool and image to upgrade it from CE 5 to CE 6. Instead, they simply want to refund me $10. Obviously, the seller doesn't have CE 6 image either.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-05-31 11:52 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

XIP allows the device to read the rom directly from the rom address instead of swapping from rom to ram and then executing (as WM does). It results in faster boot times and a lower ram use footprint as the os doesn't need to be shadowed into ram at boot (hence WM taking such a long time to start). It can however mean that the system runs slower over all as ram reading is usually faster than rom reading.

I haven't heard anything from anyone on getting hold of and rom images. Can anyone with one of these devices try contacting the regional redistributor and ask for the image under the auspice of a needed reflash?
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2010-06-05 4:10 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Oh, I gained Yahoo! Mail (classic) access. That's because I had not adjusted the date to the right one yet (Those security certificates were considered expired). Now, I need to make YouTube work. A CE 6 image must exist as the seller asked me to send her a photo showing CE 5 (her listing says CE 6). The task is to get it!

Edited by CAuser 2010-06-05 4:11 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-06-05 6:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Apparently, it does exist, as evidenced by this device:

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Touch-Screen-windows-CE-6-0-Tablet-PC-ip-ad-/...

Now we just have to find out where to get the image.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.282 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 14