x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2010-05-30 4:33 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Sigh, getting tired of gadgets that once I have them I can only take them so far before I hit walls or encounter things I don't have the time to sort out.

The ipod was fun while it lasted but for the $$$$ I spent better things exist. So I got rid of it. The Magellan ce 5 pna units are awesome, really are, but no wifi is a big shortcoming. There are amazing gps/media players but lousy for pim or other ppc type stuff.

So, looks like a smartphone may work. I've got a line on a cheap 6.1 ce smartphone depending....

Roughly, how much of my ppc 2002/2003/hpc ARM collection can I expect to run on the 6.1 platform without major (meaning time consuming) hacking? Ideas?

I want the basics, pim (included in 6.1 yes?) office, (not included in 6.1, right?), banking access, expense tracking, some games, a fair choice of media (tcpmp, gsplayer, etc), some file management stuff (cecommander, some reg editing)

thanks
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-05-30 5:29 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's the nice thing about H/PC software - plenty of programs work nicely on other CE devices, including Pocket PCs, without any additional DLLs. (A few are MFC-based and will need the H/PC versions of mfcce300.dll and olece300.dll - or mfcce211.dll and olece211.dll.) The only issue of course is using them on the small screen - but a lot of programs wrap the application window to fit the screen. Total Commander and TRE (or PHM Registry Editor) will work perfectly out of the box; so will TCPMP and GSPlayer. As for office apps, I think Office Mobile is included in Windows Mobile 6.1, isn't it?
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-05-31 7:34 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

CE Geek - 2010-05-30 12:29 PM
Office Mobile is included in Windows Mobile 6.1, isn't it?

(reduced versions of) Word and Excel create and edit files in WM6.1; powerpoint will only display files, may or may not be included.

The important thing in choosing a smartphone I believe, is to get a version of WM6.1 that is well tweaked by the phone manufacturer, to where it behaves a tad more like an HPC version than the clumsy Microsoft Mobile standard. Going even from the older CE.NET 4.2 to WM6, can otherwise be numbing.

Other advice in buying a WM6.1 smartphone:
Also, I would say, don't settle for less than 320x320 resolution-type pixel-size on the phone (in varying screen sizes depending on whether you prefer a solid or sliding or software-only keyboard). There are many used WM6/6.1 smartphones on the market, including the HTC Touch Pro. I would stay away from Blackberry models unless you want to pay more for the special plans some carriers force you to take on a Blackberry. And of course, you need to choose also whether to go with GSM or CDMA, or a hybrid phone doing both.

To moderators: with the progressive (seemingly?) convergence of WM and CE, do you envision hpcfactor to start sections of support for smartphones?
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2010-06-01 11:50 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Out of interest, which CE6 phone do you have? As far as I know most Windows Mobile phones (6.1, 6.5 etc.) run atop CE5.

Is it the Meizu M8?

Edited by ZSX 2010-06-01 11:54 AM
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-07-23 3:29 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

ZSX - 2010-06-01 6:50 AM

As far as I know most Windows Mobile phones (6.1, 6.5 etc.) run atop CE5.

I'm curious - as I only know WinCE4.2 from an HPC, and never had a WM5 phone:
Do you mean that WM6 is more like Windows CE5, than like WM5?
In what way do you mean that WM6 runs atop CE5?

Please give details

My phone is a Treo 800w.
There are more modern phones now running WM6.
Especially, the new HTC Touch Pro - looks like a mini-mini complete PC, with its widescreen and "normal-looking" slide-out keyboard.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10