x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Using Skype to make voice calls to landlines on WinCE6 netbooks

1 2
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-07-23 3:48 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

By necessity I have totally replaced my landline phone, with an internet cable connection, to have and keep a cheap SkypeOut phone account that I can take with me wherever I go.
So one of the most obvious uses of a Netbook for me, would be to serve as a portable but large-screen Skype phone.
And the netbook I would buy needs to run a version of Skype that can do SkypeOut voice calls.
But there is little info out there on this topic, because a lot of people simply use Skype as something extra besides their real phone.
They use Skype in peer-to-peer mode, to do SMS or calling only other Skype users, instead of using it as their official home phone to make "regular, normal" phone calls.
I'm a bit worried as to what versions of Skype are preloaded on Netbooks, because earlier Skype specifications I had read about (regarding smartphones), mentioned Skype needed processors above 400MHZ to work properly for voice calls, without cuts in speech.
So I'm wondering if the versions of Skype that are preloaded on netbooks are limited to SMS and peer-to-peer calls?
Could readers who have a Netbook with Skype on it, relate their experience here?
To properly compare and evaluate, I would like to know:

__Netbook brand/Model/CPU
__Skype version details
__what features of Skype work well, (especially as regards voice calls to landlines)?
__was the described version pre-loaded on your netbook, or did you install it yourself?

I hope those who can reply will take to heart to do it in detail:
it could help a lot of people, as SkypeOut is only less than $10 per month, yet it works like a landline in most ways.

Edited by Jacobi 2010-07-23 4:06 AM
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-08-04 3:56 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

The majority of these Chinese netbooks come with Skype installed,
so... what can you do with it?

Here are a few facts for readers who have not used Skype yet.

WHAT IS SKYPE
Skype is primarily a software phone,
which uses generic internet access,
and non-proprietary hardware most people already have

Once you have installed Skype software on your PC/laptop,
you only need plain-vanilla internet for phone connectivity,
(with your laptop connected to your home router, or to a wifi hotspot, or connected to a LAN with internet at school, etc.),
For hardware, you need a computer (PC, later HPC, etc.),
with headphone and mic jacks, and a headset, that's all.
That's hardware you probably have and use already for other things: nothing proprietary there.
Also, you can install it to and run it from a USB flashdrive, SD card, etc.: it's very portable!

If you buy a phone # and 1 year' SkypeOut service, total about $60 in US,
with that you can use your # as your home phone, but without the tie up:
instead, you can receive phone calls to your # from anywhere you are in the world,
and make phone calls as well from anywhere in the world, on anyone's PC etc...
In the US and Canada phone calls are free 24/7.
The only limitation is that you have to be online, to receive calls.
(Though you can pay extra for a feature that will push calls to your cell phone).
Btw Skype is great for travelers who want their relatives to be able to reach them at little or no cost when they are away: since they start out with a local#, and take it along with them, when they travel they can call bak and forth for free in the family (or with US/Canada phone #'s) anywhere in the world just as they would inside the US and Canda.

SECURITY:
Btw so far as announced by Skype, voice phone call are sent encrypted.
Security when using extra features is another matter, see below.

FEATURES:
Besides voice phone calls, Skype also has lots of other addons: SMS, chat, video conferencing, etc.,
though the connectivity there is more like the P2P type (or bittorrent) I believe,
(I need to research this further).
I'm curious to hear from users if they do use these extra features on their netbooks?

Notoriously, TV news correspondents often use Skype video-chat.

Example:
very clear photo and sound in short Skype webchat in broadcast on NBC Nightly News on Aug 2, 2010:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#38529577
in "Latest program" tab
Vignette:
"A summer of change in US for for Afghan orphan"
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-08-04 4:44 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

COMPARING SKYPE TO OTHER CONSUMER VOIP SERVICES

MAGIC JACK
Magic Jack uses proprietary hardware (usually $30-$40 for the widget);
The software install is triggered in the firmware, it installs automatically to the HDD when plugged in,
mostly from the web, and there is no information given to the user, it's all in the background.
I believe that at the moment, its only works with Windows, and the hardware requirements are not meager, so I don't expect it to run on a low-end netbook soon.
Calling tech support to find out more about it, they would not tell me what directory it installs to, what protocol it uses for internet transport, what software ports it opens and uses, and where the phone directory was saved. They only told me that (unlike Skype) the phone calls are not encrypted.
Magic Jack is still very cheap, $10/year I believe, but who knows for how long?
Skype voice calls were free during the first year.

FRING
quoting from another post:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15180&posts=6&start=1

Rich Hawley

"Fring is a peer-to-peer Mobile VoIP based internet telephony network. Fring calls are routed to a VoIP gateway and PSTN termination server. Calls destined to GSM and PSTN networks pass through a circuit switch such as Skype or SIP. Calls to VoIP users continue through the VoIP gateway to their destinations."

So when and which way, is a specific call routed?
When using Skype directly, strictly on wifi, you know exactly when and how the cost of a call will apply.
You can choose to use Skype only for the calls that are free, as you already control the mode of transport.

cmonex
"Fring also supports some of the more popular IM services too.
http://mscdex.net"

The question is, if you already have Skype, why would you need fring, on which you would still use your Skype account?
If instead you use Skype, you know exactly who is handling your account and your phone activity.
I guess fring could be good in mission-critical operations, where what matters the most,
is that the call goes through, no matter via which transport and what the rate will be.
If not using Skype under fring, is there a separate fring phone account?
And what about encryption, depending on which account one would use?

Anyway this is a quick aside off the topic -
So far among possible VOIP avenues, it seems only Skype comes pre-installed on the netbooks.
And it's the concern in this thread:...
many questions on it need to be answered yet.
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-08-04 5:00 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

IMPORTANT SECURITY QUESTION
RE: SKYPE VERSION ON CHINESE NETBOOKS

I've been wondering what version of Skype is inluded on 7", 10" and other non-XP netbooks.
A few years ago I had downloaded Skype for PPC 2003, but since then I had not noticed any new HPC version, i.e. for Windows CE.
In the last few years, the smartphone versions of Skype, as I've read, wavered between allowing voice calls with SkypOut or not allowing them.
So I was wondering what Skype features came up on the netbooks.

But it turns out there is a much more serious reason to wonder about the version of Skype on these netbooks.
I had been intrigued in the last few months to see mentioned "English version of Skype" in Chinese netbook sale descriptions?
It seemed redundant since everything in the description already pointed to the english-speaking market.
But I just read some details on the Chinese version of Skype that point to an
OMINOUS SECURITY RISK IN CHINESE SKYPE.
The Chinese Skype version presents problems which go beyond the mere technology.
They are beyond the framewoek of this site, so I won't discuss it.
Here is a simple quote below, and you can read more here:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13908_3-10058825-59.html

Skype's Chinese version left the surveillance door wide open

"Security researchers recently found that IM conversations on the Chinese Skype program were not only filtered, but also recorded on a massive, nonsecure, server.
The possibility of surveillance flies in the face of Skype's supposed strong encryption, and has provoked outcry among privacy advocates.
... Obviously, people who want to communicate securely in China will need to use other technologies."

Now,
as long as the Skype install software was downloaded from the US Skype site and not the Chinese TOM-Skype site,
there should be no problem on Chinese netbooks sold for the export market

But is there some possible ways this might not have been the case, in some of the Chinese netbook installs?

There have been so many mentions in forum posts, of Chinese language appearing here and there on those netbooks, giving the feeling that the Windows CE install was incompletely cooked, and partially translated?
So might some installers of Chinese netbooks, have used the TOM-Skype software download in China, and just have cooked the English interface for it?

Looking on the Skype US site, did I miss an English version for Windows CE? I could not find one...
For now, if I were to get one of those Chinese netbooks I would hold off using Skype....
Surely, I hope this great concern will prove to be only "crying wolf"!
I'll contact Skype to get clarifications on this matter, and will report on their reply when I get it...

Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-08-08 3:35 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Had a chat with the tech support level at Skype.

Here is the gist of it:
__MAYBE we'll get an official, downloable US Skype version for Windows CE 5-6 soon (?) ye-ye!
__as for the Chinese version, they disown it.
__Skype tech did monkey -no see -no hear -no talk, on what version gets installed on Chinese netbooks for export: mystery remains.
So I'll be trying to find that out in other ways...
I'm particularly interested in obtaining an installable Skype for WindowsCE 6 version in order to run it from SD card and for general reinstall use.

Details: below are (collated) excerpts of the chat, with usernames replaced.
I over---emphasized the security question regarding the Chinese version, to get past the first-level answer:
"we don't know, we don't support Skype for Windows CE anymore;
sorry I can't help you more;
is there anything else I can help you with today?",
and also, to hopefully get more informative anwers.

...So here is how it went:

Skype User:
There are tons of Chinese netbooks sold in US which have skype pre-installed and are running windows CE 5 or 6.
Prior Tech told me Skype no longer supports Windows CE...
so where are these Chinese installers downloading Skype from?
And if I use one of these netbooks, will I be able to make SkypeOut calls using the installed version, or will it not run?
I don't know why you stopped supporting WinCE, it slumbered for a while but is really revived with ver 6.. Hope you will return to it?
I'm paying for my Skype account, and I would really want to be able to use it on a great variety of devices! Thanks

Skype Tech:
Probably they have the installer from 3rd party website where the installer is still available.
but we don't support it anymore.
due to this fact I can't tell you will be able to call SkypeOut contacts or not with that old version

Skype User:
what was that version filename and common name?

Skype Tech:
you may search the net with these keywords: Skype for Windows CE
But I can not help you much
as we don't support this version officially

Skype User:
I understand but there is a real security issue and it would be good for Skype to take a position on it, otherwise there could be a backlash due to turning your back on what is a widespread use of Skype for CE, (whether you like it or not).

Quoting from this article:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13908_3-10058825-59.html
Skype's Chinese version left the surveillance door wide open
""Security researchers recently found that IM conversations on the Chinese Skype program were not only filtered, but also recorded on a massive, nonsecure, server. The possibility of surveillance flies in the face of Skype's supposed strong encryption, and has provoked outcry among privacy advocates."

SO IT SEEMS IT WOULD BE VERY USEFUL FOR SKYPE TO OFFICIALLY GET BACK TO WINCE AND MAKE SURE ITS USE IS SAFE FOR AMERICANS

Skype Tech:
Please note that the Chinese version is not made by us
there is another company called skype.tom.com
they develop that version
and as far as I know it works only in China
You can contact them directly at skype.tom.com regarding this problem

Skype User:
Well Chinese netbook vendors state they install the "english version of Skype" for export, but I need to make sure what the filenme is for YOUR (true Skype) version, to verify that!
In the meantime, if they are lying, Skype should be very concerned about the wrong use of its name, no?
How can Skype ignore this whole issue?
The security issue is really a concern, for Americans buying all those Chinese netbooks
Seems to me the best way for Skype to clear its name is to resume offering a TRUE-BLUE version of Skype for WindowsCE 5 and 6, so the American buyers can verify what version of Skype they are using.
by offering I mean - a downloadable version

Skype Tech:
I will forward your request to the relevant department, maybe they will consider to re-release that version
And I totally understand your concerns
and I will draw my managers attention to this issue

End of chat

So, anyway,
... has anyone used Skype on their netbook, how was it?
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2010-08-08 7:26 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I replaced my landline with Ooma. One time investment ($220) does it all. No monthly charge ever.
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-08-08 2:52 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

CAuser - 2010-08-08 2:26 AM

I replaced my landline with Ooma. One time investment ($220) does it all. No monthly charge ever.

Interesting, never heard of it
Can you use your Ooma account on a PC, a WM6 phone, and a netbook, and run it from an external memory card, on your own device or someone else's, anywhere in the world, like Skype?
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2010-08-08 4:24 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Ooma is like Vonage, but no subscription. Ooma does not need a PC, it only needs a broadband connection. Ooma mobile is only available on iPhone at the moment. Google Voice is also a choice for internet calling: no charge within US and Canada. So, I have an array of options: Ooma for home, IP phone account for calls from anywhere in US (and abroad) to anywhere, cell phone for mobile, Google Voice for call and text forwarding to save mobile minutes, and Peek Pronto for mobile email and text (again, one time investment, no subscription as I hate it).
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-08-08 6:12 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Lots of choices indeed!
So with these services, besides your cell phone number, how many phone numbers do you have?
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2010-08-08 6:28 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I have a home phone number from Ooma, a cell phone number, an office phone number. That's it. These are 3 standard numbers people have. IP phone account is for backup as Ooma is not really mobile. I use Google Voice number to forward calls to office and mobile. In principle, you only need one number--Google Voice. GV is good for call forwarding, but calling from GV requires internet connection.

Edited by CAuser 2010-08-08 6:33 PM
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-08-11 3:54 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

In the news, Skype filed for IPO.
[AP article:
http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2010/08/10/business/doc4c60822fe6a6f647715217.txt]
I'm mentioning this article because it states that
"The company makes most of its money from calls that Skype users place to landline and cellular phones."
That is counter-intuitive to me, as Skype is hyped a lot for its video chat, and of course that would not apply to calls to landlines, and would not apply to cell phones except the more advanced.
The latest version of Skype for the desktop, (PC and I expect the same for Linux distros and Macs) weighs heavily into the "extra" features of Skype, it feels like a Web20 intrusion into phone service.
Personally I only use the previous version.
The good thing is, hopefully this IPO means Skype has millions of paying customers. On busy days you can see there are about 17 million customers, but that number does not tell which ones are using SkypeOut, which they have to pay for, or, Skype-to-Skype calling, which is free.
Hopefully they will improve their reach at both ends of the spectrum, from SkypeOut to Skype video chat.
I'm curious to know what Skype is like now on netbooks, and hope to find out soon.
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-08-11 3:59 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

On the occasion of some other news,
I'm wondering how Skype encryption compares to RIM's?

And whether we'll see some untowards developments against Skype, in countries not favorable to the Canadian business model for the Blackberry; we already know the Chinese government forced changes on their own...

Wondering btw, specifically what features/services of Skype are encrypted at present, besides SkypeOut?
stuff to research...
 Top of the page
julia
julia Page Icon Posted 2011-08-13 1:19 AM
#
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2011-08-13 1:55 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Wow Jacobi this thread is like a promotional webpage for Skype.

Anyway, to be able to receive calls, don't you have to have a computer connected to the internet at all times? Like you can't even put it on any kind of standby mode if you want to be alerted to incoming calls, right?

I don't know in other areas, but at where I live there are several companies that provide internet phone services that just connects to your router and acts like a real landline phone, but with way cheaper long distance rates. I have recently switched to my cable company's phone service which uses its broadband cables to provide a similar service, without eating up your internet bandwidth. And because it's bundled with my internet and TV services, it's super cheap for both local and long d calls.

I guess if you really travel a lot while working, you could use Skype. But if you're like me, I stay put most of the time. On the rare times when I am not in town I probably prefer email and facebook over phone anyway.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-08-15 2:53 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I have used Skype perfectly well on the built in app on my Eee.

Also, I can tell you first hand that Magic Jack works very well. It is all we use at home.

Have you had a look at google voice? I can make calls from any PC...But I have not tried from a HPC yet...
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 9