x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

chesters10 Page Icon Posted 2010-07-23 11:06 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

hi ,i have just bought one of these little unmarked EPC (going by the box) mini notebooks guys at a boot fair ,looks ok at first glance but mine seems to have no calendar installed so you cant use it for appointments and even stranger no email facility!
while it connects fine to the web using either wireless or network cable (via the pc's second network adaptor) it seems unlike my usual PDA (i have a few dotted around) does it use activsync if so how activesync cannot see it via wireless or network cable nor a doube ended USB cable if thats used .

several other strange things have been noticed ,theres a "stylus" testing part in control panel but its not touch screen?
how do you adjust the memory it looks like you scroll the marker along but its fixed and i run out of program memory fast even browsing!

It looks ideal for logging on on holiday as its screen is far better sized than my PDA's and probably worth the £25 i paid for it but on hindsight WIN CE6 seems far harder to use than WIN 2003SE

any tips please
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2010-07-23 12:55 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Could you please give a link to this product? I am suspicious about what exact model you do have.
 Top of the page
Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-07-23 1:16 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Sounds like another of the generic Chinese minibooks.

Most, if not all, of these won't connect via activesync. I don't know if that's intentional or just inept programming, but the target use for the minibooks is a cheap PC replacement, not a PDA replacement where you'd expect to use activesync. Certainly a lot of other issues with these things seem to point to inept programming. There's a lot of variability in how they're shipped, according to the whim of the programmer, and what they felt like (or forgot to) include.

The inclusion of stylus functionality is doubtless because CE was originally intended for touchscreen devices. Can't say about the calendar app, it's not something I use mine for, but there are other PIM and scheduler applications available.
 Top of the page
chesters10 Page Icon Posted 2010-07-23 1:40 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

theres no link i can find ,it just seems to be the unmarked 7" model doing the rounds at the moment ,win CE6 ,VIA ARM VT8500 ,128MB memory ? 256mb system disk, 1.62 gb flash disk.
i bunged a 4gb sd card in and its happy and it see a 4gb usb stick fine.

i keep getting annoying "serious" errors with IESAMPLE so IE explorer closes down quite often.
is there a way of updating anything ie IE etc or bunging in media player 10 for pocket pc etc which is standard in older software versions? ofcourse it installs via activesync but is there a way of doing it on the netbook?
seems to be WINCE 6.0 rather than WINCE 6.2 spotted on similar stats on the WEB

Edited by chesters10 2010-07-23 1:55 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-07-23 6:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Welcome to the world of 7" Chinese netbooks! At least you got the VT8500 which is easier to upgrade and flash than others. All you have to do is have the proper files in the proper folder on an SD card when you turn on the computer and it will update just fine. If your IE is funky, you may consider doing just that. As Dana said, no Activesync or built in PIMs for these babies. You can add PIMS for direct input, but no way to syncrhonize them with your desktop. No update for IE either, but there are some other browsers that might work for you...such as Opera Mobile...
 Top of the page
Dana Page Icon Posted 2010-07-23 8:22 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Opera Mobile works on these? I didn't think any version of Opera worked on CE8.

I haven't had any problems with IE on mine, except of course for flash sites that it can't handle.

Saw a sleazy newspaper ad today for these, advertising them for $179 and claiming they sell for "up to $600 in stores"... never hinting they're not a normal laptop computer...
 Top of the page
chesters10 Page Icon Posted 2010-08-03 1:59 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Has anyone got Android going on these ,i see a few links and have tried putting it on a SD card but nothing happens other than loading OS etc where it just sits,
I need a really newbie HOW TO do it if its possible ,tried using tips from elswhere but i'm going wrong somewhere
Still cannot get it doing much other than whats comes pre loaded (not a lot) perhaps Android is more sympathetic ?
looking at activesync the network cable of the version 3 has been removed and "wireless" is only bluetooth ,tried installing 3.xx but despite uninstalling 4.5 it is determined not to let me install the older version.
the netbook is just what i need but only with a decent calender ,a "to do" and contacts etc ,you know a big screen version of pc2003se of the pda's
got several pda's but the netbook has an advantage in its screensize for browsing and emails etc

even a bluetooth dongle with CE drivers would be a start

Edited by chesters10 2010-08-03 2:07 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 44 - Executed queries : 30