x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows CE for mini computer

munga Page Icon Posted 2010-07-24 2:37 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Please may I ask for some help. I have just bought a 7" computer which is running Windows CE 5. I have no technical knowledge whatsoever, being a grandma with no formal computer education.

I would like to use my 7" to keep things like names, addresses, notes,medical diary, ordinary diary. I want to use it as a notebook but the only programs which came with it were Wordpad and Excel.
I have tried looking on the internet but everything I have found has made my head spin, they are all so technical. This computer did not have an instruction book with it, so I am having to try whatever I can to get it to work.

Many thanks
 Top of the page
CEEEE
CEEEE Page Icon Posted 2010-07-24 12:45 PM
#
go to this thread: http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15062&start=1

and download the file from RTFM, unrar and copy all the files on a sd card or to internal memory of the netbook.
then just browse the folders/files and run a .exe file of your choise, i believe RTFM has labeled alot of stuff and others you dont know wont harm anything if you try them.
 Top of the page
munga Page Icon Posted 2010-07-25 4:13 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

RTFM

Thank you so very much for your information. I have followed your instructions and am now downloading your first package. As I am not a member of File Factory, I can only download one at a time so I have saved your second package into favourites and will download as soon as I am able.

Sorry to have taken so long in responding to you but I lost my own message and could not find it anywhere. Finally found it this morning and now have it in favourites, so I don't lose it again. As stated not very computer literate but keep on battling away trying to keep up with technology.

Once again thank you so much. Since posting my first message I went exploring this forum and found an instruction book which I have printed out, I have also noticed that you have helped a lot of people too (from reading forum messages) and all must be as grateful as me.

Appreciated always

Munga

Just found that I was replying to CEEEE so thanks to you, and ll members who take the time to bother with us Newbies

Edited by munga 2010-07-25 4:16 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2010-07-25 2:07 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
You seem pretty computer literate to me, if you can search forums for answers, find manuals to download, and already know about the endless help RTFM, and all the others, provide here

There's Linux sister to these Chinese machines (Windows CE machine has an ARM processor; Linux machine has a MIPS processor), and RTFM has developed an alternative Linux operating system that is far, far superior to the factory-issue:

http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/board,27.0.html

Good luck with your new programs,

Jake
 Top of the page
munga Page Icon Posted 2010-07-27 1:56 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Jake,

Thank you so very much for your words of confidence in me, I suppose the word 'illiterate' was the wrong one to use. I have been on computers for many years and when I had XP I taught myself to partition and reformat the hard drive. I had to do this as I was constantly deleting files which crashed my hardrive and I had no-one to fix it for me. I used to do it at least once a month, so I had one of the cleanest hard drives. Don't do it now as computers come with recovery disks and its just a matter of putting it into the drive.

I had a look at that link that you sent me but am not clever enough to understand it, nor do I know anything about Linux, I have only ever dealt with Windows. I have very little understanding of file names such as *.exe and *.jpg although I do know now that jpg is a graphics file. I have never learnt the shorthand for files, but this morning I did work out PIM Personal Information Manager. The are what I have been looking for but turned away from because I don't know what the letters stand for.

Anyway, thanks so very much for taking the time to respond to me, I am very grateful.

Munga

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 41 - Executed queries : 30