x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Password reset for Augen netbook

[Frozen]
Frozen
Renegil1 Page Icon Posted 2010-07-26 4:27 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I just bought a Augen 7"netbook from ebay and It had a password on it. Does anyone know how to remove the password? Because the company tells me to send it to them for them to reset the password. And will charge me $20.00 just to look at it and who knows how much more to work on it. I can work on computers, I took it apart and everything is solid state no moving parts. Someone told me that I have to short out somewhere in the motherboard but I have to be careful because it could fry my motherboard. What I want to know is does someone know where to do it to reset the netbook. Thanks
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-07-26 5:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-07-27 8:42 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Don't count on it, Rich - the CnMBook runs on the inferior Anyka AKCHIP processor, and the ROM image and firmware are likely incompatible with the Augen.

The normal solution is indeed to reflash the device with a fresh ROM image, but Augen has been very protective of theirs. See if they'll send the ROM image to you, but don't get your hopes up that they will.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-07-27 10:27 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Probably so...

I think if I bought something on eBay like that, that I'd return it for a refund unless it was stated in the condition in the auction.

A lot of these things get stolen...hence the reason why they make it near impossible to break the password scheme.

Say this one was a stolen unit sold on eBay by someone, by returning it to the vendor, they can check the serial number and verify who originally registered it with them and see if it was reported stolen. I kind of like that protection idea....
 Top of the page
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.144 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9