x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Odd problem I've been having with every CE 5.0 netbook I've purchased.

1 2
Augen E-Go Go Page Icon Posted 2010-08-07 3:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

With both CE 5.0 netbooks I've purchased, I've encounter a strange and severe problem I don't seem to have a way to fix. I first purchased an Augen E-Go. Besides some physical defects it had (odd overheating of the back of the monitor and seemingly defective speakers), it had a really strange problem involving the keyboard. Characters wouldn't repeat, even with enable character repeat checked in the keyboard settings. If I typed at a fast speed though, keystrokes would be recorded twice, making the thing virtually unusable for typing. After speaking with Augen's tech support a few weeks ago, they thought it was a keyboard driver error and would get back to me when they knew what to do. They still have yet to contact me again.

In the meantime, I've returned that netbook and purchased another one, the Visual Land V-Net VL-760-4GB. It has nothing wrong with it physically, but once again has the same keyboard issue. I'm asking the following: Is this a universal problem with all of the 7" netbooks, can it be fixed, or was I struck by lightning twice with the same problem and will I have to return the netbook again?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-08-07 5:40 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I think this a "feature" of these netbooks. None of the ones I have repeat either. (I noticed that some time ago, but it has never been an issue for me because I've never had any use for the character-repeat feature.) Since most of the Control Panel applets were part of the core OS, some of them don't have any effect on the device's functioning because they control functions that don't exist on the device (like the one labeled "Stylus" ). I haven't noticed the double-type problem, though, with any of my netbooks except for my Konaki Netbook Wonder. By coincidence, though, both the 248 MHz (black) version of the Augen eGo and the Konaki (and I believe the VL-760 as well) run on the Anyka AK7802 processor. Dunno if this means anything. (My Augen eGo is the silver version that runs on a 533 MHz MagicEyes processor.)
 Top of the page
Augen E-Go Go Page Icon Posted 2010-08-07 5:46 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for responding. If the problem will exist in any netbook I get of the same design, no point in returning it. I'll leave this open in case anybody else has an answer for this though.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-07 6:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

My 10" netbook key repeats just fine...so it must be how well the OS is integrated with the hardware...lucky me! It is the WM8505 cpu...anyone there with the same cpu in the 7" variety to test this quirk?
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2010-08-07 6:32 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yeah, my 7" mini easily gets double keystrokes unless I type while counting numbers.

Edited by CAuser 2010-08-07 6:53 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-08-08 12:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

CE 5 uses a different driver design to CE of old, perhaps it's that.

What happens if you play with these reg values and reset?
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Keybd\ - RepeatRate (dword)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Keybd\ - InitialDelay (dword)

Use small values as it's the repeat stroke rate per second and reaction delay time (can be 0).
 Top of the page
Augen E-Go Go Page Icon Posted 2010-08-08 3:08 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

My CE netbook doesn't come with a registry editor, nor can it synch up with a normal PC via USB. It does support downloads though. Are there any registry editors which run directly on CE? If so, what are they, which part of the above lines in the registry should I edit, and does this pose any risk of bricking the netbook?
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2010-08-08 4:32 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

PHM is one.
 Top of the page
Augen E-Go Go Page Icon Posted 2010-08-08 4:44 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Downloaded and tried running it, and it said "This application cannot run on this device type. Please install the application specific to this device type." I'm not sure if I'm using the right version but the only one I've found is the one here: http://www.pocketpcfreeware.com/en/index.php?soft=31
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-08 6:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Augen E-Go Go, that version is made for pocketpc, but it will work fine on your Augen too. The only difference is that it has top and bottom windows, while most registry editors for HPCs have side by side.

The reason you can't run it is that when it was written, your cpu didn't exist yet, hence the CAB file doesn't recognize your device. You will have that problem with any CAB file unless it has been set to run on any device regardless of CPU type.

To get around that, find and download the program MSCEInf.exe from the website. It will allow you to view CAB files, and then you can drag the executeable file from within the CAB file to your desktop and from there you can copy it to an SD card to finally insert that SD carding into your CD device, and then copy the file to your handheld. Or, as with most all of these reg editors, you can actually run it from the SD card.
 Top of the page
Augen E-Go Go Page Icon Posted 2010-08-08 7:15 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm not sure what you mean by CD device. I extracted the EXE file, copied it to the SD card, and accessed the SD card from my mini-netbook. I keep getting an error message saying that "'REGEDIT' is not a valid Windows CE application.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-08-08 7:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Rich meant CE device rather than "CD" device.

I use Tascal Registry Editor:

http://www2r.biglobe.ne.jp/~tascal/download/pocketpc/tre_e.htm

Another one is Total Commander, which is a file explorer with extra options, including a plugin that allows you to browse the registry:

http://www.ghisler.com/wince2x.htm
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-08 7:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

My typo...I meant CE device, not CD....

Well try this registry editor found here: http://www.yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx/files/tre082h.zip

or go here: http://web.archive.org/web/20020124101236/http://www.grundlesoftware.com/regeditce.htm and download the cab file for ARM at the bottom of the page.
 Top of the page
Augen E-Go Go Page Icon Posted 2010-08-08 8:13 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the links. CE Geek's Tascal Registry editor didn't work, but all of the other 3 I was linked to by both CE geek and Rich Hawley work. Now, back to the issue at hand. I'm getting the following entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Keybd\:

- InitialDelay 000002EE (750)
- DispDly 0000000C (12)
- RepeatRate 0000000C (12)

Should I edit anything here, and if I do, is there a way to back the keys in question up?

Edited by Augen E-Go Go 2010-08-08 8:17 PM
 Top of the page
Augen E-Go Go Page Icon Posted 2010-08-08 11:02 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I attempted changing the InitialDelay by lowering it to 12, with absolutely no effect on my problems. I also stumbled upon a new problem as well: my netbook's clock is somewhat broken. It takes around 3 seconds for it to register a single second, and it is consistently falling behind as a result. Does anybody have any advice on the old problem, or the new one which just sprung up?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.266 - Cached queries : 55 - Executed queries : 26