x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

MobilePro 900 and TCPMP

quinbus_flestrin Page Icon Posted 2010-08-07 7:13 PM
#
Avatar image of quinbus_flestrin
Factor Fanatic

Hello and thanks for all your work in the handheld community.

I've just acquired a couple of MobilePro 900s... originally I got three but had to take the screen from one etc. etc.
Having got them up and running, and re-built one of the battery packs too, I naturally installed Cmonex ROM 2.

Now I've hit a very odd glitch, which perhaps the erstwhile sages here encountered before and know the solution to.

I have TCPMP 72 running on our J728 etc. and it runs in GAPI 4.02

I have a really ancient copy of The Beatles A Hard Days Night in MOV files... it is that old.

It plays fine on the Jornadas but crashes and locks out the screen on the MobilePros... both of them... using exactly the same the same settings. I thought at first it was just a glitch, as you do, and re-did the same setup with the additional TCPMP codecs etc... you have to cold boot to get the MobilePro to display the screen afterwards... but it is fairly consistant between both of them.

Just tried using GAPI 4.04, same peculiar result.

I've also tried out some other avi (divx) movies which I converted especially for mobile.
Again, they do play on the J728 and J720 in TCPMP, but again the same strange screen lockout effect occurs on the MobilePro.
Seems like a rather profound video glitch to lock out the screen in that way. The sound is playing in the background, it is only the screen which is affected.
And the only way to recover the screen is to cold boot.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Regards

QF
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-08-07 8:23 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Try HPC MediaPlayer from this site. It's basically TCPMP (what isn't these days :-) ) that's been tweaked to run on the Jupiter class HPC's. It may have different settings that your J728. Although I thought cmonex's ROM already included HPC Mediaplayer...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-08-08 12:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Come on, QF, you've been here a while, and we've had other threads on this, eg:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13366&po...

Yes, Geared2003's HPC Media Player has different settings by default, and these avoid the problem.
 Top of the page
quinbus_flestrin Page Icon Posted 2010-08-08 9:25 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thanks for your response and your contribution. The J728 needed no settings for TCPMP as far as I can recall.
I did take a look in there at the options, but there are some areas mentioned in those lists that really are beyond my ken.
I installed Cmonex 2 to both units and can categorically state that the only Media Player on this install is Windoze Media 9 Series.
GAPI is 3.03.

I did dload the player from here, as well as the latest of the various incarnations of TCPMP that I could find.
Same result.
Incidentally, the same player from here also works well on our Ameos here... again without adjustment.

So then naturally I thought that it had to be something fairly profound when I saw that effect.
You could be forgiven for believing that it had somehow killed your LCD panel.

The cold boot process necessary to restore things naturally removes any installs that you may have made.

In the HTC Ameo communities they ferquently talk about "bricking" a device, in connection with the use of cooked Roms.
But I refuse to believe that a Rom cooked by this lady would do anything like that.

Also, as you point out, I would have expected a version of TCPMP to be included in this ROM image too.
The fact that it isn't seemed indicative perhaps.
Cmonex is a very accomplished person, and if she did not include TCPMP instead of Windoze Media 9 in her Rom cook, then I wondered if there was a more specific reason.
In lieu of any other solution presenting itself, I was going to try nyditot and see what I could make from that.

BTW, the unit I robbed for the screen was a 900c. I took the screen, which was displaying a lot of vertical lines originally, and fitted it to another 900c which came with a smashed panel. This cured the lines in the display.
I think now, that having seen what an awkward right-angled fit that the ribbon cable is, that this was contributing to the line display problem on the original unit.

QF
 Top of the page
quinbus_flestrin Page Icon Posted 2010-08-08 10:08 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thanks for your input. I'll go and check that out right away.
However I did try a search both in Google and in HPCF and found no other threads.

I suppose I didn't use the right pattern.
We're increasingly coming across this.
I needed parts (screws) for our double-glazing windows fittings, and went to eBay and Google without much success using variants of "double-glazing".
Eventually I tried a search term which was mentioned in one of the manufacturers sites... ESPAG... and got buried in the rush of suppliers on eBay.
ESPAG is their term for the catches used universally on DG units... short for espagnollette.
Who knew?

Looking at that thread you mention, I did install GAPI 4.04, and I did run the GAPI tests without a hitch.

Your steer proved to be absolutely correct.
The HPC player mentioned in that post DOES have that particular setting made.
I can't understand it. I was sure I'd tried that player before.
I have since run a few converted AVIs that I made, and I'm now running an ancient version of A Hard Days Night distributed years ago in MOV files.
I tried to run this old AHDN at the outset, and thats how I found this problem.

Having as you say, been here a while, I have had my share of problems with the J72X and running software.
Haven't we all. But I've never had a problem (as far as I can recall) with TCPMP.

I now have video running on the MobilePro, and without crashing the entire system.
And thats what counts!
My thanks to you, to CMONEX, and to the HPC FACTOR community for being here for us.

QF

Top of the page
Xsane Page Icon Posted 2010-09-09 2:22 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I also just purchased a MobilePro 900 - and am wanting to Flash it with CMONX ROM2 as well , What do I need to type in to Downloads to find the right one ?

Thanks !
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 11