x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Review: Chinese 7" Netbook

1 2 3 4
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-12 11:42 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

A few have brand names. I bought my 10.2" on on eBay, no brand name mentioned at all. I thought I was going to get another generic clone. When it came it said Wabook Sky, which at least is a brand name as far as these things go.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-08-31 10:09 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Rich Hawley - 2010-08-09 10:25 PM

Papsie wrote: what is the difference between Netbook PC's running Linux....

Only technical differences for sure. For instance, x86 devices (laptops and desktops) have the option to run "live" versions of Linux. That means they load into ram and run from there without ever occupying the hardware permanently. Of course, there are a few similar options for some HPCs. These netbooks differ in that they cannot (currently) do this. For them, Linux must be loaded onto the "hard drive" or permanently stored on the ram chip and run from there. They don't supplement the native operating system, they replace it.

There have been subnotebooks, the Asus EEE for example, that were commercially sold with Linux as its primary OS. Don't you think it strange that the only operating systems we've seen so far in all these Chinese netbooks is either CE or Android? You have to wonder why?

And even those adventurous souls who have installed Linux on their CE netbook, still do not have 100% compatibility, often resulting is no wifi, or no sound, or some other missing hardware drive that is not supported. At least with CE, everything on my netbook works!

Well almost everything...I still can't Activesync...no client USB port.
I really meant the difference between subnotebook Handheld PC's running Linux, and netbooks of today running Linux. Remember that there were quite a few subnotebooks back in CE 2.11 days that resembled small laptops, some even had a trackpad (like the Compaq Aero).
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2010-09-09 10:40 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

nice, I got a black one.. with CE5. it also has a RAM filesystem. I want to fix this permanently.

mine has no brand, but I got a few ROM update files with it, I will see if it works...
Xsane Page Icon Posted 2010-09-10 4:01 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Not a bad looking Netbook . What I feel would make it better would be; not having that Stupid Touchpad. I hate those things. Simply Remove that entire area, and cut the size down a couple of inches - and utilize only a Touchscreen. And since it has USB ports galore, if need be - use a mouse.
For something like that - I'd prefer to see an Actual OS instead of a ROM OS. Thats just me though. CE works - but too limited. Especially for a Portible of that size, u'd want a bit more compatibility.
But still a nice looking piece.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-09-10 7:58 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Nice of you to come around and see us again, cmonex.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-09-10 12:42 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Aye, good to see you
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2010-10-02 6:42 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I flipped when I first saw these CE netbooks. Being passionate about Windows CE, it was a no-brainer to buy one. I'm glad to have it, although some important complaints arise. Most critically, within an hour of first using my CE6 netbook, upon powering it back up, the entire OS install had disintegrated, and all I was left with was the initial screen. Fortunately the eBay seller graciously pointed me to a webpage (now defunct) with instructions and files to create a "boot disk" on SD card. Doing so brought my netbook back to life, and does every time the netbook dumps, which is all too often. A real downer to have to deal with this, it mars the CE netbook experience.

My other complaint is that these netbooks are in ways obsolete even as they hit the market. No Flash 9 content will play, as the netbook's IE contains version 7. A big disappointment to see the frequent notices that Flash 9 is needed. Plus, most Tudou videos no longer play, and the You Tube application has become unusable. As much as I like my CE6 netbook, I'm now left hoping that Windows Embedded Compact 7 comes to the rescue in future netbooks (even though this new OS is tablet-centric). A truly modern Windows CE HPC would be the peak experience for me!
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2010-10-02 6:50 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich, has your 10.2" version been reliable, or does it suffer from the OS dumps that my 7" Smart Book does? I'd really like to get a 10.2" model, but am leary, I'm afraid I'd soon own a paperweight. -Chuck
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-10-02 7:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I've been lucky I guess. Mine has been reliable and worked well. I don't have any better luck than you with the sites that use a lot of flash or java...IE6 just doesn't support it. And I miss not being able to Activesync the thing like I could my Mobilepro. To inport PIM info I had to export it into a comma delimited file and then import it into my PIMS. It worked okay, but I miss the ability to more easily transfer files between my desktop and CE devices like the old days.

But I've yet to have problem one with the OS crapping out on me. And unlike others, I have no problems with wifi or anything.
radams36 Page Icon Posted 2010-12-10 9:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I also got one of these from CVS, Sylvania branded.

Question: Mine does NOT have a built-in e-mail client, which I really need. Could also definitely use PIM capability (Contacts, Tasks, Calendar), and it doesn't have any of those, either. Anybody have any ideas?

I tried copying the executables and obvious DLL's from a CMONEX'ed MobilePro 900, although I thought it a long shot, and most of the executables wouldn't copy because they were in ROM. The ones that did failed to launch (no error, but no response when trying to execute).

CMONEX, nice to see you here, big fan of your MP 900 ROM work. You having any luck with your WinCE netbook?

Thanks!

Richard
justgetndafacts Page Icon Posted 2010-12-21 4:41 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I now own a 100 dollar smartbook paperweight, this stinks can someone who nows what they are doing help me. I asked someone to reset the passwords he gave me a sd card and said to turn off my computer and turn it back on. I did this and now there is nothing on my computer but a blue screen with my computer which is empty and the recycle bin. HELP PLEASE!!!

Edited by justgetndafacts 2010-12-21 4:44 PM
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-12-21 7:10 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

radams36 - 2010-12-10 9:28 PM

I also got one of these from CVS, Sylvania branded.

Question: Mine does NOT have a built-in e-mail client, which I really need. Could also definitely use PIM capability (Contacts, Tasks, Calendar), and it doesn't have any of those, either. Anybody have any ideas?

I tried copying the executables and obvious DLL's from a CMONEX'ed MobilePro 900, although I thought it a long shot, and most of the executables wouldn't copy because they were in ROM. The ones that did failed to launch (no error, but no response when trying to execute).

CMONEX, nice to see you here, big fan of your MP 900 ROM work. You having any luck with your WinCE netbook?

Thanks!

Richard
nPOPuk, link on the home page currently.
lele Page Icon Posted 2010-12-29 3:52 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I purchased a sylvania 7 in netbook on 12-24-10 and i would not connect to the wifi connection in my home. their tech support does not exist, so i went to the digital gadgets website which is the actual retailer and downloaded the upgrade and then uploaded it into the netbook and when I unzipped it the entire thing crashed. No OS, no apps, no programs it is a paper weight, and it's only 5 days old. When i call tech support i just get an answering machine and no one will tell me how to reset to factory settings, i used the reset button on the bottom, it didn't work. it sounds the same as you experienced and i was wondering if you could help me fix mine before i go get a refund.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-12-29 5:45 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You have to unzip the upgrade onto an SD card and put the card into the SD slot before turning on the device. That way you can remove the card after the OS is installed so it won't just cycle the process every time you turn it on. Try this if you haven't already - it can't hurt, and it may solve the problem.

And to everyone with support questions on these CE 6 netbooks: please post questions in the CE 6 section rather than in this thread. The purpose of this thread is to discuss Rich Hawley's review of this device in the Reviews section.
NathanielZhu Page Icon Posted 2010-12-29 11:15 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

lele - 2010-12-29 3:52 AM

I purchased a sylvania 7 in netbook on 12-24-10 and i would not connect to the wifi connection in my home. their tech support does not exist, so i went to the digital gadgets website which is the actual retailer and downloaded the upgrade and then uploaded it into the netbook and when I unzipped it the entire thing crashed. No OS, no apps, no programs it is a paper weight, and it's only 5 days old. When i call tech support i just get an answering machine and no one will tell me how to reset to factory settings, i used the reset button on the bottom, it didn't work. it sounds the same as you experienced and i was wondering if you could help me fix mine before i go get a refund.

Just download the WinCE Script for WM8505 and put that on the SD Card. Who knows what they have done with their "upgrades". As far as I'm concerned, upgrades or not won't make WinCE function any better.

Google around. They're everywhere.
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.238 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 14