x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Linux on the Augen E-Go?

16bithovercar Page Icon Posted 2010-08-21 9:33 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have a new Netbook from Newegg, and I was wondering has anyone here had been able to either back up the Augen Ego or put linux on it?

Its a Augen E-Go (248MHz) 7" Netbook, the specs are here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834320001

Thanks!
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-08-21 10:36 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

You did a site search on "augen," right? But, what are you really asking wrt to "back up"? Did you mean whether or not somebody had downloaded the ROM image, whether you can sync to a desktop or cloud server, or whether or not you can backup your files onto the SD card? The ROM (built-in programs and OS) never goes anywhere upon power loss. If your data is saved directly to SD, it also never goes anywhere upon power loss. Good luck.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-21 10:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You can do nothing with the Augen eGos as far as flashing them from either an image file or running Linux on them.
 Top of the page
16bithovercar Page Icon Posted 2010-08-21 11:20 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well darn. I was talking about backing up the image. If I wanted to run linux or buy a copy of WinCE > 5 in the future. I don't mind opening it up to get to the IC's pins if need be.
 Top of the page
16bithovercar Page Icon Posted 2010-08-21 11:29 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Alternatively, is it possible to boot from WinCE? For example, if I remember correctly, there were distros of Linux that could boot from DOS. Also, there are extended bootloaders for DOS I believe. I think one of those distros was named Dragon or similar.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-22 11:04 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Not on the Augen netbooks...they specifically designed them to keep experimental hands from messing them up. With that said, you can add some dlls and files to the device, but go to far and you will turn it into a brick. I know, I've done it with 4 of the netbooks during experimentation.

My advice for Augen eGo owners...leave it alone.
 Top of the page
madies59
madies59 Page Icon Posted 2010-08-25 3:20 AM
#
I would like some help I can get it to go online help me I need some ipaddresses it does have any help me
 Top of the page
16bithovercar Page Icon Posted 2010-08-27 8:05 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

@Rich Hawley: Wait what? Why would they do that? Isn't there an override at the AK7802 level? Also, if there is a chance of just bricking it, then I DEFINITELY (1) need to figure out how to make a dump of it, and (2)never buy from Augen again.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9