x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Connect to Internet via WIRED Router

batesmoteljulie Page Icon Posted 2010-08-29 9:24 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

I bought one of these for my daughter for her b-day. I certainly didnt expect some big powerful computer but I wish I could connect to the internet. I am trying to connect via my PC which is the host for a WIRED network. Wired DSL modem and WIRED DLink router. I have my son's pc, my pc, and am trying to connect this all via ethernet cable. My ISP is At&t. I forget what this is called but the "connection" is called Realtek something or other.

The error message that I receive is "cant find server" or "dns error"

The icon for both wireless and ethernet connections light up on the task bar but IE will not open. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks Julie
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-08-29 10:30 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

OK, I think we need to clarify your network setup here first.

You can't have a separate dsl modem and dsl router on the same network and you can't host through a PC and have a router on the same network.

It's either a router or a pc and modem, not both.

Secondly you didn't mention what Windows CE device you are using.

Third, how are your and your sons PC's getting network address information, are they addresses manually entered or are they automatic via DHCP?

Finally go to cambridgevx.com and download vxUtil Personal and get it installed on your CE machine.
 Top of the page
batesmoteljulie Page Icon Posted 2010-08-30 2:39 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for your patience. As you can tell, I have no idea what I am talking about. The more I learn, the less I know. Anywho, lets see if I can explain. Ok, I have two desktops sharing the same internet connection. When I signed up for At&t, they sent me a modem (phone line and ethernet cables). When my son got his desktop, I purchased a wired router so that we could share a connection. Now I am trying to add my daughters little 7" netbook to that "network". My son and I are running XP and my daughter has Windows CE 6.0. I am pretty sure our desktops are set to automatic via DHCP. I have purchased an ethernet cable to connect the netbook to the router. It is quite a wired mess but I am broke so I am cheap.

Ok, with regard to the download you mentioned. I am assuming that since I can not open IE on the netbook, I will download this on to a flash drive from my pc and then transfer to the netbook, yes? Thanks again for your help.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-30 3:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You should be able to simply plug your daughters netbook, using the CAT5 cable, into the router. I assume it has 2 open slots still? Most have 4 to begin with. Anyways, that is all you should have to do. Then you should be able to open IE and surf.

But...open IE, go to VIEW, select INTERNET OPTIONS, and make sure the USE LAN box is checked.
 Top of the page
batesmoteljulie Page Icon Posted 2010-08-30 5:38 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

You would think, huh? That was the plan but it did not work. So, I am thinking that maybe it is defective. Thank you for the info. At least maybe I am not as incompetent as I was feeling before.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-08-30 5:50 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If your PC's are connected to the same router via ethernet cable (cat#) and they are working, yet the netbook doesn't. Then Rich is probably right.

However as a network implementor what you said still makes no sense. Are you sure that what you purchases was a Router? Does the Cable/DSL line connect to the router? If the Cable/DSL line connects to the modem, what you have is an operating switch.

Correct about the vxUtil installation.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-08-30 8:02 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Also, check the simple things out first.

1) Try another network cable between your daughter's netbook and the router.
2) Try another port on the router, one that you know works.

C:Amie...we all aren't as technically adept as you are. I have a DSL modem on the shelf. One that ATT gave my sister when she had DSL. It is a Dlink DSL-2320B modem. DSL line in, one LAN line out.

And plugged into that is a DLINK router, model EBR-2310. and the paperwork with it says it is a Ethernet Broadband Router. It has one line in that says Internet, and 4 lines out that say LAN

So what he is saying makes sense to another layman like me.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-08-30 8:42 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It must be a cultural thing. CPE (Customer premise equipment) over here are always integrated unit devices.

No confusion intended
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9