x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I'm desperate for help

1 2
LisaHouserman Page Icon Posted 2010-09-05 6:39 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

OK, I too have one of these "no name Chinese" deals and I can't get on facebook, you tube or really do much of anything. I have yet to find any kind of new browser to download and that is my main question. I don't understand a lot of this computer jazz so please, anyone who answers me, talk to me as if I'm in second grade! I'm 46 and feel like I'm 127 when it comes to these things! I've tried to download browsers and had the same problems as some of the other posters here in that after the download, nothing happens and an error comes up. There has to be a compatible browser for this thing, doesn't there? LOL. Mine says that the operating program is the windows embedded ce 6.0. God love anyone who can help me please, I'm beggin' you man, LOL!!
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-09-05 12:02 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Um, are you saying the provided browser doesn't work? If so, how do you know that you are connected to the Internet?
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-09-05 1:42 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

What's wrong with the built-in version of Internet Explorer?

Top of the page
LisaHouserman Page Icon Posted 2010-09-05 4:56 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi, the provided browser doesn't support much, so to speak. For example, when I go to facebook, it says I should download another updated browser. When I try, it says my computer can't handle it or something of that nature. Same with You Tube videos.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-09-05 5:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Lisa, the sad fact is that the websites are constantly changing and upgrading their pages to incorporate new and quicker methods of displaying graphics and animation to coincide with the capabilities of smartphones and newer technology.

While varous "hacks" and 3rd party applications sometimes work...eventually these CE devices are going to be left in the dust when it comes to webpage compatibility.

I think you will probably continue to be unhappy with your device no matter what and probably just need to get yourself a small laptop that runs Windows XP or newer operating system to truly be satisfied.

This is just one opinion....
 Top of the page
LisaHouserman Page Icon Posted 2010-09-05 5:30 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well, I guess the bright side is I only paid something like 85 bucks for it total and I have this laptop which is a normal hp vista. Anyhow, I just thought I might be able to do a few things on that other deal but I didn't expect the moon for 85 bucks! When I first got it a few days ago, it was in the Russian language! That was a real trip getting that in order but we did it. Anyhow, thank you for your opinion. I hope still to get some idea of a browser that might work better than the one it came with.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-09-05 5:33 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You might try downloading Opera Mini beta 5 and see if it works...it has on several of the mini-netbooks.
 Top of the page
LisaHouserman Page Icon Posted 2010-09-05 5:43 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I will do that right now and thank you so much. I'm kind of dumb when it comes to this stuff but, at least I'm learning something on a unit that is not going to be used as my main computer by any stretch. Thanks again and I will let you know what happens.
 Top of the page
LisaHouserman Page Icon Posted 2010-09-05 6:29 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well, I can't do this because it asks what device it's for and I haven't a clue. Thanks anyway
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2010-09-05 6:58 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

http://m.opera.com/?act=opts&rnd=2373225182

You need Opera for Windows Mobile.
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-09-05 9:20 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I wish someone would port Firefox/Swiftfox using a .NET Language (to the Compact Framework v1.1) instead of cpu-specific/device-specific binaries.

Long overdue if you ask me.

Edited by technogeist2k9 2010-09-05 9:22 PM
 Top of the page
Augen E-Go Go Page Icon Posted 2010-09-06 1:46 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Did you set your browser (IE 6 Pocket, I assume?) to view mobile pages? My cheapo netbook can access those pages, but normal ones are practically unusable.
 Top of the page
LisaHouserman Page Icon Posted 2010-09-06 3:43 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Augen E-Go Go - 2010-09-06 1:46 AM

Did you set your browser (IE 6 Pocket, I assume?) to view mobile pages? My cheapo netbook can access those pages, but normal ones are practically unusable.

I have no clue whatsoever what this means! LOL! See, this is how brilliant I am when it comes to this damn computer that I got. My browser is Internet Explorer. I have spent all day trying to download things that are supposedly for windows ce. I then go to open them and they all say that they are incompatible with CE. I give up! I mean I specifically went to a website that provides downloads for this very unit and then it claims it isn't compatible? I don't understand any of this stuff and am glad I spent under a hundred bucks for this thing. Thanks for the help even though most of the posts were like reading German to me since I don't understand any of this terminology!
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-09-06 10:13 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

read this thread for a full explanation of why you get those errors.

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15458&po...
 Top of the page
Augen E-Go Go Page Icon Posted 2010-09-08 12:54 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

As far as viewing websites with the outdated browser goes:

1. Click start, go to settings, go to control panel.
2. Go to Internet options (also accessible from the view button in IE).
3. In "user agent" in the general tab, change whatever is there to "Windows CE."
4. Close the browser if it is open and open it (again).
5. Presto! You can now view (most) mobile websites!

You still can't access many websites, but this makes the thing 1000x more usable.

Edited by Augen E-Go Go 2010-09-08 12:55 AM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12