x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

downloading issues galore!!!

LisaHouserman Page Icon Posted 2010-09-06 3:49 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

OK, does anyone else have the problem of downloading stuff that is specifically for the windows ce 6.0 and then going to the part of the computer where it was downloaded, clicking on it and getting this warning: "__________(fill in the blank with whatever you downloaded) is not a valid Windows CE application"?? I'm ready to scream. I've already emailed the seller repeatedly and he seems to be kind of clueless. He even claimed that that useless You Tube icon on the desktop should work just dandily. Well, I'm either going to have a nervous breakdown or, I shall wait for your words of wisdom on this one!! Keep in mind again that I do not understand any of this terminology like grabbing a Z and bundling an X or whatever! That was a lame attempt at trying to talk in computer language and yes, I failed miserably. So again, please, talk to me like I'm in first grade if you would. Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Top of the page
LisaHouserman Page Icon Posted 2010-09-06 4:14 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well, I know you all have been worried sick about me and the new computer situation, LOL. Just a quick update. Even though when I get on You Tube it urges me to get a new browser, I've, obviously, been ignoring that since none are compatible. Well, turns out that I can play the videos but the video portion is just a bit choppy. Sometimes I get a warning that says not everything can play but so far, it's better than nothing. I'm just getting used to CE as I've never dealt with it before. Still, any input would be warmly and tenderly welcomed at this point, LOL and thanks...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-09-06 4:31 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

When you download a file with the .exe extension from a software site, it's usually an installer program that has to be run on the PC rather than on the Windows CE device. That's why you're getting the error message saying it's not a valid Windows CE application. First, you need to install ActiveSync on your PC. You can get it here:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/syncsoft/activesync/

ActiveSync version 3.8 is recommended.

After installing ActiveSync, run the installer file on your PC for the application you're trying to install on the Windows CE device, and it will create one or more files with the extension .cab that can usually be run on the Windows CE device to finish the installation. The .cab files are usually placed in \Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync, but occasionally in \Program Files instead. Copy the .cab file onto an SD card and place the card in the Windows CE device's SD slot while the CE device is running. Then run the .cab file on the CE device. It may or may not run, since these CE 5 devices seem picky about which .cab files they'll run. Let us know if it doesn't, and if so we'll let you know what to do next.
 Top of the page
LisaHouserman Page Icon Posted 2010-09-06 5:22 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

CE Geek - 2010-09-06 4:31 AM

When you download a file with the .exe extension from a software site, it's usually an installer program that has to be run on the PC rather than on the Windows CE device. That's why you're getting the error message saying it's not a valid Windows CE application. First, you need to install ActiveSync on your PC. You can get it here:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/syncsoft/activesync/

ActiveSync version 3.8 is recommended.

After installing ActiveSync, run the installer file on your PC for the application you're trying to install on the Windows CE device, and it will create one or more files with the extension .cab that can usually be run on the Windows CE device to finish the installation. The .cab files are usually placed in \Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync, but occasionally in \Program Files instead. Copy the .cab file onto an SD card and place the card in the Windows CE device's SD slot while the CE device is running. Then run the .cab file on the CE device. It may or may not run, since these CE 5 devices seem picky about which .cab files they'll run, let us know if this happened in your case, and if so we'll let you know what tot do next.

You are fabulous and I think I might just be able to do all this stuff you mentioned above. My regular computer is an HP laptop with Vista. I will attempt this either tomorrow or sometime soon. Also, I'm watching a total video series about my embedded ce 6.0 right now. It's on a site called: "Discover the Windows Embedded Experience." Thanks so much. I will force one of my teenager's friends to help me with your instructions!!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-09-06 10:23 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

*beep beep beep* ActiveSync doesn't run on Vista. You need WMDC from: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/downloads/microsoft/de...
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2010-09-07 12:37 AM
#
To save some of your sanity, grab my zip file full of software. Extract the contents to an SD card or USB stick and just run the applications from there. It's all categorized by games, browsers, utilities, etc etc.

http://bento-linux.org/wiki/wm8505/vt8505/windows-ce/mega-pack

Cheers.
 Top of the page
LisaHouserman Page Icon Posted 2010-09-07 3:20 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you so much. I was able to grab those links and I downloaded them all onto a flash drive. Several work but I still lack the ability to do things because I've yet to figure out how to load that program that helps the applications to work or open. I have a guy who is going to help me with that. Thanks so much. I totally appreciate it.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9