x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CE 4.2 - Compatible games ?

[Frozen]
Frozen
Xsane Page Icon Posted 2010-09-09 5:02 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello all,
Curious if there are any compatible games for this OS?
Im thinking like - StarCraft, Half-Life, Command&Conquer - those types of older games?
The system Im trying to run them on is an NEC MobilePro 900 , so I know the hardware should support it, but Im curious if the OS will?
Thx all . .
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-09-09 5:31 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Nope...very limited game support for the HPC devices. Check out the screenshots at my website and you will see pretty much what is available.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-09-09 6:10 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You can get Warfare Incorporated working, it's a bit C&C like: http://www.warfareincorporated.com/

See: http://www.wincesoft.de/html/gapi_for_hpc_s.html
 Top of the page
Xsane Page Icon Posted 2010-09-10 3:24 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well thats too bad as far as Main Stream games being incompatible. Is it due to the Operating system? Or is it something else? ? Cause as C: AMIE has shown, the NEC 900 device is obviously capable of DirectX options.

But thanks a heck of a lot for your Posts and answers. I really Appreciate that !

My Portable wont arrive until Sept. 15 - but I'll definately save these threads for when I finally do get the thing.

This is such a great site for folks like us. Nice to see that some folks out there "get it" about these types of mobile devices.
Small, cheap - and probably pretty useful ! Cant wait to see the potential for one of these...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-09-10 10:07 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It's only capable of the equivalent of DirectX Software options, it doesn't support hardware acceleration on your device. Between that and the limited CPU/RAM resources it no surprise that they're not meant as gaming platforms.

You can get a few console emulators working in them though as well. It's your 3D options that are restricted.
 Top of the page
theoak Page Icon Posted 2010-09-10 10:35 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

There is ScummVM, which is kind of a Virtual Machine that runs many old games, if you have the DAT files for those games. There is an HPC version of ScummVM that works pretty well. So if you have some old Lucas Arts, or Activision, or Sierra games, you just use the ScummVM with the DATs from your copy of that game, and can play quite a few old games. Their compatibility list is here:

http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/

Also, several original games have been released to the public domain (and can be downloaded for free) from ScummVm's site.
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2010-09-11 1:14 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Xsane - 2010-09-09 11:02 AM

Hello all,
Curious if there are any compatible games for this OS?
Im thinking like - StarCraft, Half-Life, Command&Conquer - those types of older games?
The system Im trying to run them on is an NEC MobilePro 900 , so I know the hardware should support it, but Im curious if the OS will?
Thx all . .

Please don't kill me Rich and Chris

Based on your question my guess is that someone sold you the NEC as a portable computer or a netbook. The NEC Mobile Pro (as well as all Windows CE devices) are not NetBooks like the eeePC or Acer ones. Many people seem to advertise them as such, or as MID, because in theory they are, but practically there is a huge difference. While they are NetBooks (the name Netbook was actually marketed first for a Windows CE device from Psion), they lack the compatibility from a "mainstream" (or overcommercialized) Netbook.

Yes, the NEC has a 400Mhz processor, but it is an ARM-based (not AMD spelled differently), which works completely different than the more recognizable x86 processor such as the Pentium, Celeron, Centrino and Core Duo/Quad

Windows CE is not a light version of Windows XP or Windows ME, it is a different version of Windows, which, while similar in looks to Windows 95/2000, was made from scratch with a different purpose, instant-on and low-power, and while it can be used as a laptop replacement, its main use is more for basic office work, such as typing/reviewing documents and spreadsheets.

Rather than comparing it to a desktop Windows version, it is more along the lines of Android or iOS (iPhone)

Steve Jobs mentioned with the first iPhone release that the iPhone would run OS X, but it turned out to be a Windows CE-yfied version instead.

You will never be able to install a full-blown desktop version of Windows onto your NEC that would be capable of playing the games you mentioned.

It is possible to install Bochs, a PC emulator, onto Windows CE, along with a copy of Windows 95/98 within that, but unless you want to spend a year to finish a level in Star Craft, I would not recommend it. Half-Life, with its 3D effects would take you even longer.

However, there is a Doom port for Windows CE, which will let you play the classic Doom game. There is a Half-Life mod for that somewhere on the web, which makes it look similar to Half-Life.
Warfare Inc, as Chris suggested is a Windows CE clone of Command & Conquer, and while it works, my personal fav game for Windows CE is a game called Slay (recently released for iPhone/iPod Touch )

ScummVM, which runs games like Monkey Island and Sam & Max is also amazingly cool to have on the road.
Also there are emulators for the old C64 home computer, and of course NES/SNES emulators.

Edited by PocketDVD 2010-09-11 1:16 AM
 Top of the page
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10