x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Not all unicode characters being displayed

dmccomsey Page Icon Posted 2010-09-15 3:06 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have an application running on PSC Falcon 4220 device running Windows CE.Net 4.2. When I try to display several unicode characters (9650,9658,9660,9668) in the application, they will only display as square boxes. I ran a test with other unicode characters such as the mathematical operators (8706-8805) and they do display properly. I have an Arial.TTF file on the handheld and am using it to display these characters. I tried this application and font file on another CE.Net 4.2 device (Psion WorkaboutPro) and it works correctly.

Does anyone know why some characters that I assume are in the font file would not display under this version of the OS?

Thanks.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-09-15 6:31 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Since you have determined that the font is working okay as it displays correctly on other devices, did you check it using the same application?

I mean have you ruled out that it is not the application limiting the display of the character and that it is in fact the device?

Can you subsitute another font to display what you need, such as Wingdings3? Or can you enable font linking to supplement your base font? I don't know as I am far from a font expert.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-09-15 7:05 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Are you sure that the replacement font actually took hold? Either the glyph is missing from the font as it didn't overload or the device doesn't have the page code enabled for it.
 Top of the page
dmccomsey Page Icon Posted 2010-09-15 7:33 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I tried running the same .EXE on the other handheld with the Arial.TTF file and it worked as expected. All characters in question worked correctly.

It seems to be related to the particular OS image on this device, but I am not sure what could be causing it.

I have not tried any other font files as I am not sure where to get them.

Any help in that area would be appreciated as well.

I placed the font file in the \Windows\Font folder and reset the device. I am assuming that it used it as I don't know how to determine if this is the case.

As for the page code not being enabled for this particular set of characters, that sounds more of what I would expect. Is there any way to override or force the device to utilize the fonts in question?

Thanks
 Top of the page
dmccomsey Page Icon Posted 2010-09-15 7:58 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I assume the font took hold, but don't know how to check. I put it in the \Windows\Font folder and rebooted the device.
I believe the glyphs are there as the same font file on another handheld with the same application appears to work.

I am not sure about the pagecode statement. Is there some way to check this?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-09-16 9:27 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You could try it in \windows as well in case the fonts are really being loaded from there.

As for getting hold of other fonts for testing try one from your Windows PC's fonts folder - it will be a lot bigger of course.
 Top of the page
otoluk Page Icon Posted 2010-09-16 8:19 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Look under registry HKLM\nls for codepage overrides. It is possible to oveerride specific characters from different font so remove any or add yours.
 Top of the page
dmccomsey Page Icon Posted 2010-09-18 3:06 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I looked in the registry and there is an overrides under NLS, but it is empty.

Is there a way for me to enable/override specific characters in Arial that might not be supported by the platform?

I am trying to display the up,down,right, and left black and white triangles that are supported in Arial. They will not display from Arial, Times New Roman or Courier New. I know that other characters from these fonts work correctly. I believe they are not supported by the specific platform build.

Is there a way to add these characters or override them in the registry to get the platform to display them?

Thanks
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10