x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Happy Birthday H/PC Forums and H/PC C:Amie

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-09-18 10:09 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Exactly 6 years ago today (and about 13 hours ago) we brought the HPC:Factor Handheld PC Community Forums (this forum) on line for the first time.

These forums replaced the original one from 2002 that belonged to S|HPC, one of the two sites that came together to create HPC:Factor. Those forums were lost when that particular ship sank a long, long time ago.

I remember pulling an all-nighter for bringing these forums online, I think I'm too old to be doing that sort of thing these days.

When I sat down to write this note, it occurred to me as I started to type that another milestone has just passed, completely un-noticed.

The other constituent site c e 3 2 0 that forged HPC:Factor was started on 11th September 2000, by me; at least I have always credited it as 11th September 2000 because that was the oldest file date I could find when someone first asked me when I started the site and honestly couldn't remember.

So by my own admission I have now been webmastering for the Windows CE community for over 10 years, and running the largest site of its type for most of that.

Although it may seem trite, but it is certainly true. There have been times in the last 10 years when it has been difficult and it would have been easy to throw in the towel. Yet for some reason I've always persevered, seen people come and go, made good friends and had some interesting times (and humour) along the way.

I can't promise that we'll make another 10 years; I really don't know where things will take me, and us over the next few years because I'm currently entering a cross roads in my own life. But know that I have no plans to pull the plug and that I will try and keep things running for you all as long as I possibly can.

It's strange how things work out, that a few small HTML pages can still make an impact 10 years later, or even that a single soul knows that they're there.

If there is anyone out there who remembers c e 3 2 0, or even HPC:Factor v1 I hope the experience wasn't too painful for you, I'd be interested to hear your memories.

Funnily enough one the first people who ever contacted me after I put the c e 3 2 0 site up (I think I still have the email somewhere) became a very close personal friend. Despite the distance I had the opportunity to meet up with him for the first time this year, despite the fact that we've shared the last decade together through the corridors of cyberspace and telecommunications. It'll be our "10 years" in a couple of weeks. I hope that I have the privilege of saying the same in the future of the many others who I've met through this site in the past 10 years.

Happy birthday Forums, happy anniversary of my descent into Wonderland to me (and a very merry unbirthday to you all)
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-09-18 10:54 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Wo wo! How much emptier life would be without HPCFactor....

I'd like to see it exist for another 16 years...which is the estimated time I have left on this world...though I have it on the inside from a good source that it will only last until sometime in Dec 2012.
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2010-09-18 11:51 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Congrats on another year, and i'm still around

Although I've turned a different direction for my need's & discovery (mostly non ce devices) I'm still love the small soc form factor.

Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2010-09-19 12:39 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Happy B-day!!!
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-09-19 2:04 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Over the past five years (9 September 2005 was the day I officially joined), this site has turned me from a well-rounded person into a Windows CE junkie. Thanx for making it possible, C:Amie!
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2010-09-19 4:43 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Congrats buddy

And thanks for all your help over the years. If it wasn't for you, I'm not sure if I would be doing what I am doing now,

A big thank you for being there.

Edited by PocketDVD 2010-09-19 4:43 AM
Jake Page Icon Posted 2010-09-20 7:38 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I'm down to one H/PC and I still come here several times a day.

Happy Birthday,
Jake
takwu Page Icon Posted 2010-11-04 6:48 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Sorry to dig this up, but hey as some may have noticed I just lurch now

And no I have not given up on HPC or HPC Factor yet. There are still *new* CE laptops being made, and for all intents and purposes this site is the closest thing people have for peer support (or ANY support) on these devices. And since I brought it up I would say HPC Factor needs to target that audience more; they need us and we need them. But that's another thread I'll start someday. On that note, let's go back to memories...

Ah yes HPC Factor v1... those were the days when NEC was still making Mobile Pro and Scion was making Netbook Pro (and trust me I saw ads on both in printed PocketPC Magazine). But of course there were still some new or near new Jornadas. I myself bought a demo Jornada 728 from a large local electronics store (basically brand new, only been "touched" by a few curious shoppers). That brought me here.

At the begining everyone was, well, beginners. Ok so there were a few veterans who have used Jornadas for a while, but honestly no one was a know-it-all; everyone was learning from each other, and that IMO was what brought a lot of interests.

For the longest time the most popular topics were all about WiFi. It was a new thing, and a new thing that worked on these old machines. I was lucky to have a Linksys CF wifi card that I used for a PPC, and it worked almost right out of the box. Linksys had a driver plus utility for the PCMCIA version that worked perfectly on HPC2000, and the CF card just worked with it too. While the PCMCIA version was hard to find (I did eventually buy one), the CF version was much easier to get. So a lot of my involvement was to recommend this card and to tell people where to find the driver. It was IMO the most consumer-friendly solution for HPC newbies. Eventually UsedHandhelds bought a bunch of the PCMCIA version and marketed it to their Jornada and Mobile Pro buyers.

My second HPC was the Smartbook G138. And I was the first owner to post about this device on this site. It was the last new CE device that could truly be categorized as a Handheld PC. All the new CE laptops that came after the netbook trend did not have touch screen, as far as I know. Yes, the Smartbook was before the EeePC. Yes I did get more stares from passersby than I did with the Jornada. And yes, it still is the greatest HPC ever, despite its quirks. I was trying to spread the words on HPC Factor, but alas the Smartbook wasn't widely available, so not a lot of HPC enthusiasts (they did exist) had the chance to own one. Eventually C:Amie himself bought a bunch of these and sold them thru HPCBay

Then I tried to find something that was as great as the Smartbook and had a size closer to the Jornada. Tried the Sigmarion III, another great HPC, but like its size, its performance was also closer to the Jornada. The Nexio S160 faired a lot better, but without a true keyboard it became my MID more than an HPC. The same sort of discussion went on among HPC Factor regulars. Even to this day threads about "your dream HPC" come up once every while, and the verdict is usually along the lines of "they haven't made it yet"

And my search stopped there, just as much interests in HPC have seemingly gone to the Atom netbooks. But as the netbooks popularity got unpredictably high, it also created the new class of CE laptops. Larger than an HPC and without a touchscreen, these CE devices are more like updated version of the Jornada 820 than a true HPC. There have been a lot of interests and even more questions about these from the community. Recently this site published a review of an example of these devices, and to give credit to myself for the last time: I requested that review!

So there you have it, my personal experience with HPC and HPC Factor. Hope you enjoyed it
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2010-11-04 6:43 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I first came here in 2003/2004 looking for WinCE info. I registered but unfortunately lost that password/user name as time went on and I drifted away from HPC:Factor. Then in 2005 I created this user name because again, I was looking for Windows CE information. This forum has been a huge help for me and even though I lurk more then I post I really enjoy my time on the forums as well as the friendly community.

Thanks guys, and thanks C:Amie for keeping this place up. When you had the DNS (or whatever) problems the other day and I couldn't find the forums, I nearly shat a brick.
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.152 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 8