x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

'x10-Two' Chinese tablet - .NET CF issue - Please help.

GNIPR Page Icon Posted 2010-10-05 10:13 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello All from a new member,
I have an issue with a newly purchased tablet with built in GPS, in that it will not run the software I bought it for.
The software is called SkyDemon and is a UK produced aviation navigation software. The problem I get is when I try to run the software.
It installs correctly but when I click on the executable I get an error message after some considerable time with the egg timer displayed.
This is what happens:

'Error: This application requires a newer version of the Microsoft .NET compact framework than the version installed on this device.'

I click 'quit' to that and then:

'.NET CF Installation Error : The application failed to load required components. If the .NET compact framework is installed on a storage card, please ensure that this card is in place and launch the application again. If this fails, a reinstallation of the .NET compact framework is recommended. Support info: -2147483643 (80000005)'

Clicking 'OK' to this returns me to desktop.

I have checked and the unit has both 3.5 and 2.0 installed. How can I show the software that .NET CF is there?

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-10-05 11:04 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've had issues with .NET CF on some of my CE 5 and 6 devices. However, I usually only get the latter error message. The only answer I've found to that is to install the program - and its subfolders - into the same folder where the .NET CF runtime files are, which would be \Windows if the runtimes are preinstalled on the device. However, even then many programs still don't work. Anyway, I doubt that's your problem here.

I'm wondering which .NET CF version is enabled in the registry. I'm guessing that the program requires .NET CF 3.5, and maybe 2.0 is enabled on the device since that's what comes natively with CE 6. If you're familiar with registry editors, try this:

http://pocketnow.com/how-to/tutorial-how-to-upgrade-to-microsoft-net-compact-framework-35
 Top of the page
GNIPR Page Icon Posted 2010-10-05 11:47 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Geek, Thanks for the quick reply.
I have checked with the software vendor and it just requires CF 2.0 , which explains why I have it working faultlessly on other lesser units.
My 'faulty' unit has both 2.0 and 3.5 installed, and I have tried it with either one or both 'enabled'.
Now I have got a copy of the 3.5 CAB file I would to try to reinstall, but when I do I get the message telling me that a newer version is already installed and I must uninstall that if I wanted to continue. I can't see how to uninstall .NET CF, it does not appear in 'remove programs'.
Any further clues would be just great...

Thanks.

Paul.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-10-06 12:43 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Registry entries perhaps?
 Top of the page
GNIPR Page Icon Posted 2010-10-06 1:01 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ok, got brave and deleted the references to .net Cf in the registry. This solved one problem, which then allowed me to reinstall .net cf 3.5.
Now I get the following message when trying to run my program:

'.NET CF initialization error. The application failed to load required components....... Support info: -2147483647 (80000001)'

Does this mean anything to anyone?
Thanks again, I feel I am getting nearer!

Paul.

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9