x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New modern ebook readers

Francus Page Icon Posted 2010-10-09 2:34 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I was looking for modern ebook readers for my netbook pro and able to deal with EPUB format. Also I was bored with buggy old version of mobipocket and its confused prc files. It is time to move to open and standard EPUB format.

Found two

Freda
ZuluReader

Maybe someone already discussed them on this forum, but was unable to find much information.

Both have a cab for ce.net 4.2 and install correctly, but both signal the a newer version of compact framework version is required.

It seems that originally the NP has NETCF version 1.1, so installed v 2.0 on the memory card with no improvement, then installed version 3.5 and both ereaders worked, provided Redgear is disabled.

For Zulureader I had then to update the exe file with the new version (on the website) with specific improvements for CE.

I did not checked well how they work, but they seem both very good and modern. It seems my netbook pro now has a new identity as ebook reader.

Next step is to get them working with "calibre", but that seems easy enought
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-10-09 2:55 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Thanx for the info. We have discussed both ZuluReader and Freda before (ZuluReader's author actually joined this site and responded to our feedback about H/PC-friendly adaptations), though AFAIK members here have only done limited testing of either app. We'd appreciate your feedback as to how well both of them work for you.
 Top of the page
Francus Page Icon Posted 2010-10-22 11:00 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Bad news, after actually trying to read a few ebook in format epub, I'm only getting errors an crash with Freda and problems with Zulu too.

Freda seems much better than Zulu, but too much crashes with my netbook pro.

It seems that if I want to read epub have to buy some other device
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.144 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9