x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Bought a Casio Cassiopeia A-11

[Frozen]
1 2
Frozen
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2010-11-02 8:46 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I've been "lusting" after one of these since they first came out in 1997. I remember thinking that they were the ultimate form factor for PDA's. Well, today I won a bid for a used A-11 on eBay. 19 bucks shipped.

Problem is, it only comes with a stylus and no sync cable. I have some cables laying around here from an old Philips Velo 1, does anyone know if that'll work? Also, if that should fail, can I use a PCMCIA flash memory adapter to move files over to the device?

Top of the page
NathanielZhu Page Icon Posted 2010-11-02 11:07 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

how does the internet work?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-11-02 11:24 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I used to use my memory cards with my A10...so I'm sure the A20 will be the same. Did you get the CE2 upgrade or did you get the CE1 OS?

The synch cable was only a serial cable anyways, so unless you have an open serial port, or USB to serial adapter...
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2010-11-03 12:17 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

@Nathaniel: No internet as I don't have a modem for it. However back in the day when they were new they worked fine. I know some users used their A-11's up to 2004 regularly just fine online. (A couple still do however it's noted there's some issues with certain websites.)

@Rich: I bid on an A-11 with the upgrade but was outbid. Not going to pay 30+ bucks on an old palmtop like that. So I've only got WinCE 1.0 but I'll be interested in upgrading it if I can ever find one of those rom chips. I have a couple of old PC's (laptops) with serial ports running Win 98SE. I use them as sync hubs for my old(er) hand helds.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-11-03 2:58 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The sync cable for the NEC MobilePro series will also work with the A-11.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2010-11-04 5:39 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Cool, good to know CE Geek. Thanks

But I found a PCMCIA adapter on Dealextreme: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23791 Wonder if it'll work on the A-11? It's cheap, 5 bucks so I'm willing to take the chance.
 Top of the page
vintagehandhelds
vintagehandhelds Page Icon Posted 2010-11-04 9:37 PM
#
I used a CF-PCMCIA adapter with my Cassiopeia A11. Worked fine off the bat.
The device makes a great ebook reader as long as you split your files into small chunks.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2010-11-20 12:51 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Hey, does anyone have any software recommendations?
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2010-11-20 3:06 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Before HPC WinCE Archives went down, I downloaded all their files. Some will work on both OS1 and 2, other only on a particular system (according to the blurb). I'm including a Word file of the files and descriptions. If you need any of them, let me know...

Rick

Attachments
----------------
Attachments HPC WinCE Archives.doc (65KB - 44 downloads)
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-11-20 4:19 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Didn't Msdex just make his collection from the hpc software repository available a few weeks ago as a single download? I didn't download it myself, having gotten most of my "needed" software and having that much time for experimenting these days.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-11-20 6:00 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2010-12-03 11:05 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yeah, I downloaded MSDex's dump. A lot of great software in there. I'm still going through it all.

Just curious if anyone here had any apps they'd think would be *must haves* for WinCE 1.0. Powertoys would be an example.
 Top of the page
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2010-12-04 9:21 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
SOLIDUS - 2010-11-03 6:39 AM

Cool, good to know CE Geek. Thanks

But I found a PCMCIA adapter on Dealextreme: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23791 Wonder if it'll work on the A-11? It's cheap, 5 bucks so I'm willing to take the chance.

PCMCIA to CF adapters are passive: just a rewiring of lines. So any PCMCIA to CF adapter will work. The only difference may be in the soldering quality of wires.

Michel
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2010-12-05 12:22 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Hey Michael, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately my wiring (and soldering) skills leave a lot to be desired. Would the rewiring be difficult?
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-12-05 12:56 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

@solidus, I think you've misunderstood. You don't need to do anything other than plug the CF card into the PCMCIA card and then plug the combo into the machine. Michel is saying that the signals that go in and out of the CF card pins are just re-routed by the adapter to use the PCMCIA slot pins. There's no translation or transformation of the signals by the adapter (i.e., by some sort of firmware). A "cheap" adapter potentially has lower quality connections and wiring (PC board or whatever). But, it's hard to say... it's been awhile since I've seen a new laptop with a PCMCIA slot and used units are probably lost oir discarded before they fail, so I'd guess that the value of "new" (old stock) units is pretty low.

Edited by hmascience 2010-12-05 12:58 AM
 Top of the page
1 2
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 50 - Executed queries : 32