x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Where Orinoco Gold and Mobilon HC-4500

1 2 3 4
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-01-01 6:20 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I just received my Mobilon today, with original box, ac adapter, setup manual and a few disks. I also got myself an extremely rare Advent S8600 laptop with Windows ME and an IR port so that finally I can sync all my hpc's up. It works wonderfully, although the IR is very slow. I had to transfer most of the setup files from my main laptop to the older laptop (thankfully ME has USB Mass Storage support). I installed all my CE2 applications that I use onto the device, most of it fits. I have to have the Mobilon hooked up to the mains 'cause the battery only lasts 10secs.

What I am about to discuss has come up before, but I want someone to clarify the solution a little; it appears networking cards are difficult to setup in CE2. I installed the Sp1, NSP and the WaveLAN 4.06 driver from this site, then inserted the my Orinoco Gold card into the device. All I got was an 'Unidentified PCCard Adapter' dialog box. This never occured on my Jornada 720; the client manager detected the card right away. Not here. So my question here is, is there an easy way to get round this problem, or at all? Apparently it was the SP1 that was causing problems, but no one seems to have rectified it yet.

Thanks.

UPDATE: I got the status light blinking by typing in the driver name, but it still isn't working properly; there seems to be something wrong with the encryption key even though it is WEP.

Edited by Paspie 2011-01-01 6:38 PM
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-01-01 8:02 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

You lucky guy! As for the WEP key, what strength is it on? I've heard that sometimes it helps if you lower the encryption to 64. I'm not too knowledgeable at this myself, so I'm just throwing it out there. Have you tried connecting the card to a non encrypted wireless router?

Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-01-01 8:18 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Here's the error message that is displayed when I click 'OK' after enabling encryption and putting my key into 'Key 1'.

'Key Input

Key 1 error
Use : 5 (or 13 with Gold card) printable characters
10 (or 26 with Gold card) hex digits preceded by '0x'

'
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-01-01 8:26 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I run an Orinoco Gold and Mobilon 4100 at 64WEP. I only typed in the first encryption key for WaveLAN/EEE Settings-Encryption.

Jake
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-01-01 8:50 PM
#
H/PC Elite

It turns out my key is 10 digit; I don't get all this 0x buisness my key doesn't have any of that.

On a different note, my Mobilon crashed on me! The only thing that happens when I turn it on is that the screen goes completely white! Any suggestions? I really need to re-cell the battery and obtain a 'Mobilon Connectivity Kit' off eBay.

Edited by Paspie 2011-01-01 9:04 PM
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-01-02 3:05 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Have you tried both hard and soft reset? I've never had this happen to me.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-01-02 4:53 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I trust DHCP is enabled.

I wonder if it's an issue with the MAC filtering setting on the router. I seem to recall this issue coming up before.

BTW, under what brand name is the ORiNOCO card you're using: Agere, Lucent, or Proxim? (The Proxim one doesn't seem to play nice with most pre-H/PC 2000 devices.)
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-01-02 11:41 AM
#
H/PC Elite

SOLIDUS - 2011-01-02 3:05 AM

Have you tried both hard and soft reset? I've never had this happen to me.
The backup battery on the Mobilon is an absolute pain to access, so I haven't tried hard resetting just yet. Soft resetting doesn't do anything. My father suggests it's a display issue (sometimes the actual display will flicker for a milli-second and then turn off with only the backlight working) but he isn't prepared to open it up to fix it since it is such old technology. I had to insist I'm not sending it back as with the box and most of the original accessories it must be quite valuable/collectable (for only less than £20!). I've tried taking the battery out and back in, to no avail. Shortly before the display went 'dead', it wasn't responding to my taps in a bid to close Res-info after soft-resetting, I had already clogged up the device with software a bit too far. For some reason for, it was displaying backup battery errors even though I had replaced it the same day.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-01-02 11:42 AM
#
H/PC Elite

CE Geek - 2011-01-02 4:53 AM

I trust DHCP is enabled.

I wonder if it's an issue with the MAC filtering setting on the router. I seem to recall this issue coming up before.

BTW, under what brand name is the ORiNOCO card you're using: Agere, Lucent, or Proxim? (The Proxim one doesn't seem to play nice with most pre-H/PC 2000 devices.)
It's a Dell Truemobile 1150 client card which I've heard is an OEM clone of the Agere version.
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2011-01-02 4:05 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi Paspie!

Regarding the wireless access, after restoring the functionality of your unit (good luck), please check first if in principle CE2 works with wep key (I have no experience with CE2 deviced, I only have a Jornada 720 with CE3.0).
Even if positive, I would suggest to temporary remove the wep key from your router and see if you thus get acces to internet with your Mobilon. Until clarifying this point it is useless to deal with more sophisticated settings, therefore the length/strength of the key comes only on second place. Check also what lenght of the key that CE2 allows.
Please note that on some wireless cards and associated software the wep key must be introduced as hex characters and not ascii. Unfortunately I have no experience with Orinoco cards.
Good luck to you!

Edited by arlex 2011-01-02 4:09 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-01-02 7:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It just sounds like the display cable connection is loose. But you'll have to open the device up to fix it, and that's a bit more of a pain than removing the backup battery.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-01-02 8:31 PM
#
H/PC Elite

CE Geek - 2011-01-02 7:59 PM

It just sounds like the display cable connection is loose. But you'll have to open the device up to fix it, and that's a bit more of a pain than removing the backup battery.
Yes, I sensed it was that. I'll find the time at some point to open up the device and get that sorted.

I've also figured that when a rebuild the Mobilon's battery, I can use the blade knife to open up my MC16/360LX and realign the PCMCIA socket, which currently does work although two of the pins aren't facing straight. As for the former, I plan to rerebuild the battery with some 3200Mah AA cells, which are the highest capacity I can find on the market in the UK.

In the meantime, I'll just share my views on the device: quite professional, I like the voice recording function (mic. quality isn't actually that bad), the PC Card eject button remains flush with the stylus socket ... nice touch. No Compact Flash socket though, and although I have a converter I cannot use both interfaces at the same time. Has the potential to become my main HPC, infront of my Jornada 720. Infrared is painfully slow though. Luckily I can avoid it in some respects thanks to Compact Flash with converter, although host files still require syncronisation. Like colour of device: grey, feels more industrial than Jornada 720, still very stylish: especially the stylus.

Edited by Paspie 2011-01-02 8:56 PM
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-01-03 4:54 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I had an old Psion 5mx that suffered something similar. It was the screen cable. At the time, I was uninterested in getting it repaired due to me not using it as often as I once did. I threw it away. Had the same issue with my old Velo 1 as well.

Anyways, thanks for the first impressions. I'm really wanting to find one of these myself. Been wanting one since they first came out!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-01-03 7:56 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

There are a few interesting threads about the Mobilon here. (I started one myself after I got my first Mobilon back in 2006.) I really like the bright display - looks really nice even though limited to 256 colors. And being able to run .NET CF 1.0 apps on it now is a bonus.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-01-03 2:57 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Looks like my Mobilon is approaching the end of the road. I have been trying to get it apart today, and during the process although I have separating the two 'layers' of plastic and the internal motherboard is in sight, it appears that the motherboard is attached to both pieces of plastic, a couple of pieces (Open and record button, a brass thing) have fallen out of the machine and I haven't managed to put them back together. Worse, the Mobilon doesn't even want to go back together. I managed to get the battery attached, but the machine wouldn't power on. Right now, it is sitting abandoned on my desk partially dismantled.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9