x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Full windows on arm processors

smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2011-01-16 8:16 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Mid last year Microsoft took out an ARM architecture license. Some speculation pointed to usage in portable devices, others pointed at some server related items, and some correctly guessed it was meant for a future version of the desktop OS. Now that CES has come and gone with the Microsoft announcement of the desktop OS next version supporting ARM processors, do you view this as the end of the line of windows CE?

I seem to think that. Would be great if they make a native windows CE compatibility layer, since many apps have compiled to ARM opcodes and hopefully the API set could support a thin wrapper. Performance would be a heck of a lot better than emulating ARM on top of ARM.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2011-01-16 10:50 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

smb_gaiden - 2011-01-16 11:16 AM

Now that CES has come and gone with the Microsoft announcement of the desktop OS next version supporting ARM processors, do you view this as the end of the line of windows CE?

No, that's surely not going to be the end of CE. Let's not forget that CE is still going to be used in Embedded sphere.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-06-05 4:27 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Resurrecting an old thread, but thought I might share this engadget post.

The Snapdragon 850 is Qualcomm's first chip built for Windows PCs
https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/04/snapdragon-850-windows-pc/

So ARM technologies have evolved this way from Microsoft.
I think this is a cool move by Microsoft & Qualcomm.

It will be MORE interesting if they put bash on ARM version of Windows by default lol.
It will surely draw some attraction from Windows haters but who likes bash. (Linux / Unix users)

"In addition to all the features I've already described, the 850 is also supposed to last up to 25 hours, depending on your use. That's a lot longer than the 20 hours that the existing crop of connected PCs provide, which was already impressive. " -> this is going to be the world Apple is going to head in (my prediction, with codename Star), which will create a good competition between the two giants!

Edited by stingraze 2018-06-05 4:34 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2018-06-05 7:48 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Exagear: https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/

Has anybody ever used this? Supposedly acts as a desktop via WINE and users can install x-86 Windows apps even on ARM processors.

Jake
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-06-05 11:57 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I've never used it before, looks good and the price point not so expensive!

Thanks for sharing it with us!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2018-06-06 12:14 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
You bet.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9