x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

No Wonder Samsung Izzi Pro's were discontinued! HELP!!

1 2
Mystikfoxx Page Icon Posted 2011-02-11 9:50 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I just went out and spent the money I saved being stuck at my PC on a new network card. I am about to check the compatibility - but I just realised - it doesn't matter if it is compatible or not. I have no idea what to do with the installation CD because the Samsung Izzi Pro doesn't have a CD drive - a Floppy Drive nor a "self-driver installing" USB drive. I was told by the guy in the shop that he would have trouble installing the Network card and told me to go back tomorrow if I have troube??? which I am having trouble?? The CD says the setup can be done on a Windows 2000 PC/ a Windows XP PC or Windows Vista PC - and being plugged into a laptop and following the same instructions. No mention of CE Devices however the guy in the shop was adamant it would work. so how do I install it?? Do I need to find a USB floppy drive or USB CD drive that is compatible with this device [probly should be one on sale somewhere for about £8] or is anyone able to help me install just One [of Three] wifi cards on this blasted thing?? How do I use an installation CD on a device that has no CD drive? The worst thing is I believe that Netbook is the word for this thing rather than a laptop.... Can I use the Installation CD via Activesync?? there are no instructions with the Wireless G PC Card whatsoever [bearing in ming that this particular CE 2.11 3.01 devce is discontinued anyways.]
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-02-11 10:00 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Wireless-G (802.11g) isn't supported before Windows CE 4.x. You have to use an 802.11b card, and it can't be CardBus (with the gold strip along the inserted end). Check the HCL for compatible cards for H/PC Pro devices. If there's a CE driver for the card on the CD, it'll automatically run ActiveSync to install it. If the CE device is not connected, you can find the CAB file you need inside a subfolder in \Program Files or \Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync on your PC. In that subfolder, look for a CAB file with "HPCPro" or "211," and "MIPS" or "4000" in the name. Copy the CAB file over to the iZZi Pro, and run it from there.
 Top of the page
Mystikfoxx Page Icon Posted 2011-02-11 10:00 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

In all fairness - I only want to be able to go out and check my email as I am looking for work - all I need for that is a functional Wifi card - maybe even swivel back the screen with mates around if youtube works. I'm not trying to do much more than that with the thing - but I've heard that if you can connect this thing correctly it is still capable of doing alot more than accessing your email... installing CE compatible programs/framework is no problem - wireless driver cards only. Maybe I may need help on RAS accounts as I have just created a separate log in on my PC with a password so I can attempt to set up a RAS account - I have Never used remote access/terminal server client and now I think this might be a big part of the problem. I've set up dial up and braodband on my home PC no probs and can troubleshoot everything on my PC - laptop - palm pc's - just this Izzi Pro was the in thing while I was Revising for my GCSE's....completely missed when it took the PC World by storm armed only with Infra-red, 1 USB port and Activesync... = O)
 Top of the page
Mystikfoxx Page Icon Posted 2011-02-11 10:02 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

It says - fully compatible with 80211b/g products - but TP-Link 54M Wireless G Cardbus adapter is the name of the card. I was just told by the guy in the shop it would work and to go back tomorrow if any problems...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-02-11 10:04 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The iZZi Pro can't handle YouTube. You'd need a far newer CE device for that. Pocket Internet Explorer 3.01 is very limited in functionality, and can't handle graphics-intensive Web pages.

The card you're describing definitely won't work. See if you can return it for a refund - and then check the HCL before going out and buying another card.
 Top of the page
Mystikfoxx Page Icon Posted 2011-02-11 10:12 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

that's cool - Thanks CE - you just told me everything I need to know - I am hoping to get back into work soon anyways - won't happen if I try to get the net working on this thing anylonger. I wanted to be able to email my CV while I am out mainly - that Is the most important thing I wanted to use the internet for - anything else was a bonus anyways. That Palmchess game is so hard that I don't need internet and might just sell my Xbox 360 too - drove me Mad yesterday! I've learnt how to install.cab files - however I know there is a slight problem with the card slot anyways. I noticed that as the Izzi pro converts the files sometimes is says the device is not functioning. either that means part of the file being converted is corrupt - or this PC card slot as a serious malfunction. As for regular files - it copies them with no problem - once or twice I have had a problem opening a normal file from the card but suddenly it is working fine again. there isn't anyway to re-install the original drivers for the card slot is there?? I think that is my last question... I will search the HCL tonight for compatible cards and get the shop I got this [Gold plated] card from to order one for me.... thanks
 Top of the page
Mystikfoxx Page Icon Posted 2011-02-11 10:44 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

One more quick thing - the USB slot. The Manual for the Izzi Pro just says that I need to enable the USB port before I can use it but there are no instructions whatsoever on how to enable it. I have looked everywhere in the manual and on the device that I and think. Any suggestions? Meanwhile I am going to read the manual and see if I can learn offline about RAS servers. The problem with Patience is that it takes much time....
 Top of the page
Mystikfoxx Page Icon Posted 2011-02-12 9:54 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

[On topic] Ok, I'm no Percy Jackson, but I've been a bit of a lightning theif after dosing off reading about RAS Networks last night. This Izzi Pro Does appear to have a PC Card fault, it has 2 starge cards. I have only been using the larger Flash storage card [224MB], but I tried to copy a file to the other one [64 MB] and got the same device error message. I copied All the files that I could not previously copy to the "My Documents" section and they all installed [and deleted themselves] perfectly fine, or gave the same error messages as via activesync - BUT THERE IS NO PROBS WITH THE FILES DOWNLOADED FORM HPC FACTOR [As you already know...] This probably explains why the 3com pc card does not work after Successfully installing the Airconnect CE Program.

It seems a hard reset only half sorted this program as everytime a reset is performed I get a "Storage Card Error" message [could be because I inserted that gold plated wireless G card, don't know] "Storage Card Error - The directory for ' . ' is not valid. Do you want the problem automatically repaired now?" [yes, no, cancel] YES & NO DO NOT WORK, FORCES THE SAME BOX TO CONSTANTLY RE-APPEAR. CANCEL GETS RID OF THE BOX..... To remedy this I tried to re-install the 3V patch, but on installing the 3V patch I get an error message regarding the file PCMCIA.DLL saying "the file is in use and to close the file if it is not in ROM" - this may be because the file 3V patch was already installed and is in use in the card slot [even with no card present] as when I clicked cancel it still said the 3v patch was installed successfully. [hence the Flash storage card still mostly working correct when transferring/converting word docs ect.] At one point I converted as many word docs as I could and they all converted fine - then suddenly it wouldn't convert a single file saying to check the original file for formatting.....PC Card Slot Error - tried resetting the device and the "Storage Card Error" message came up again!!

Based on all of the above I don't actually see the point in me getting any Wifi PC card as this Card Slot malfunction is likely to not light up any lights on any network card. I think I can safely jump back into my Driving licence free IZZI Pro Delorean and set the date to 2011, as I am never going to find support for a faulty card slot for a discontinued Device. thanks for all your help people. Last but not least I once again attempted to install the AGERE 2wire drivers and the izzi pro appears to have crashed again. At least the 3com Airconnect installs the drivers and the program. The AGERE driver installation program [via activesync] maybe another reason why the card slot is faulty. I copied the "wireless R3000" file to the "my documents" section and a message came up saying the file could not be installed, suggesting it was the incorrect installation file. I think that activesync may try to install the file automatically...

I'm going back to the shop today then I'm calling it quits. If someone can direct me to a "novely" website of free windows CE Homebrew applications or pocket PC games or something I would be most obliged - I still have the net on my phone but it is such a .... to send an email on my phone. my phone has bluetooth and I have a bluetooth USB dongle to use my phone to go online with my pc [which I did before I got wifi at home] - but it doesn't hav an infra red port... I don't think the bluetooth dongle would work in the Izzi pro anyways - can't be bothered to try. Case is officially closed. Report done. I'm going to Chidori this Pro then continue take my anger out Rasenganning some poor people on Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2...This was NOT how I wanted to spend ma birthday WEEK = (
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-02-12 11:09 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

That's a bummer Foxx, wish you luck.

As for games, check out Cmonex's program dump on the forums. I've already done the search for you so just click here.

I'm also gathering downloads to my site, but it's a slow process. Check it out from time to time, the URL is in the signature.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2011-02-13 5:31 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I only skimmed your big post as I'm using my phone and no dis meant but if you talk more than you read while working with your ce device I'm not surprised you're having problems.

If you can copy files fine from multiple cards I doubt the slot is knackered. The only true test is a known good pcmcia wifi card and matching driver. I suspect all would work fine.

Even the older ce machines can still do a lot. I'm dusting off my ancient Intermecs for use. No youtube or flash or modern webpages but still enough use to be worthwhile. they make fine remote terminals and media players and writing tools.

Anyhow. good luck and find another computer shop because they're idiots.
 Top of the page
Mystikfoxx Page Icon Posted 2011-02-25 3:54 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Lol thanks everyone for your help - funny enough I just cracked it now because I am going away for a funeral this weekend = ( I happened to come across some other forum.....

Just a guess ... does it use a PC or CF card ? Try erasing the contents , if its used for logging it may be full of garbage .If its a removeable card try removing it and restart .If there is a removable comms card , you may try switching the MP on without the card and inserting the card once its running( comms and storage doesn't seem related but still).And then it may just have decide to go to 'storage card heaven'

As I said just a guess

...well anyways - you were right Wallythacker - nothing was wrong with the cards or the device - it came with a a small 32 flash card and a 224Mb flash card but after installing the pcmcia patch update I didn't remove the smaller card, so I removed both of them and reset it and now it is working fine = D)

In concluion to that - the 3Com Wifi card [and program] are working fine now - only problem is I have now found out almost a month after purchasing this thing that the Wifi card is Kanckered - I have to push the top down for the 2 lights to flash and if I take my finger off the card it won't flash at all, even though the Airconnect program is still reading all the cards details. when I hold it in and test for a signal it just says the wifi card is out of range.

The 2wire card is in perfect condition [and has the official wifi logo on it] - however I just tried to install the drivers again and whaddya know - activesync tells me to check my device for further instrucitons and once again the screen just says installing Agere Wireless Network Driver and nothing is happening. No Change there then. At least now I know if I get a new compatible card the wifi should work just fine. It may be faulty but at least the 3Com Card Lights up at my command [press...] = D)

Thanks Solidus:-
I will check out the sites you lot have put up for games and things - I spent the other day downloading games like Lode runner and things but they were all trial games so I will see what these sites have to offer. I also just put Betaplayer on there and it works fine [Mp3's] so I'm gonna have to reset [crashed from the Agere installation] and try and add some video files [i.e. the past couple episode of Naruto Shippuden... >= D)] Glad I'm not the one driving.....

Thanks everyone CE Geek - C. Amie - Solidus - Wallythacker - I think my tantrum is over now...... I think the 2wire card might have to be taken off the compatibility list for the Izzi Pro though - I'm gonna dip the card in my tea and eat it like a Nice biscuit when I wake up, this is the last time the installation is gonna crash my perfectly functioning device.... = P)
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2011-02-25 5:57 AM
#
H/PC Elder

hey, I'm glad you made some headway. seriously, ce machines are so simple that after the initial install curve is done life is a breeze.

I dusted off my 720 6651 790 units and each one took 1 minute to restore from backup and go into service. 1 minute each.

There's nothing that can equal that. Not even close for now. If these things had internet they'd be fine. It's silly they can do everything else so well but the web.

maybe someone will write an amazing browser one day. That's the only software I'd pay money for...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-02-25 8:57 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

For reasons that remain a mystery, the Agere driver doesn't seem to want to install on some of these Toshiba TX39xx devices.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-02-25 12:06 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

The 2wire card is in perfect condition [and has the official wifi logo on it] - however I just tried to install the drivers again and whaddya know - activesync tells me to check my device for further instrucitons and once again the screen just says installing Agere Wireless Network Driver and nothing is happening. No Change there then. At least now I know if I get a new compatible card the wifi should work just fine. It may be faulty but at least the 3Com Card Lights up at my command [press...] = D)

Just a small thought...Did you try a soft reset after install?
 Top of the page
Mystikfoxx Page Icon Posted 2011-02-25 1:13 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Soft Reset Doesnt work Yoldering - after Activesync uploads the files "Installing Agere Drivers" pops up on the screen - soon as that comes up it's Czechmate... Czech as in my Izzi Pro becomes Izzlamovich and only understands either a hard reset or the words "I vill crrash you...." = ( - thanks CE Geek - feels nice knowing I'm not the only one with a nice looking wifi card and no way to get it flashing.... I personally think there is something wrong with the driver installation file but I wouldn't know the first thing to do about it..... = (

Saying that - I'm quite happy with the current set up for my izzi pro now - only thing I need to do is sort out the USB drive - I have a 64MB Compact Flash card, a 224mb Compact flash, and 2GB and 8GB USB Memory sticks that the IP refuses to acknowledge - as I am going away tomorrow - I think getting the USB drive working is more priority than the Agere Driver, I'm scared. Going away with 288MB of fun instead of 10GB is like Buying a mansion and living, washing, and cooking under the staircase.... = (

Edited by Mystikfoxx 2011-02-25 1:25 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9