x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HPC:Factor in IE 9 & FireFox 4

1 2 3
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-02-13 7:19 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Is anyone here using either or both of the IE 9 or FireFox 4 pre-releases?

I've had the site going in the IE 9 RC for a few days and haven't seen any problems. If you're using a test browser and have spotted any issues, please let me know.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-02-13 8:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

No...but I use IE8, and this is what I see in the bottom right corner of my monitor...

(snap.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments snap.jpg (55KB - 0 downloads)
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2011-02-13 9:40 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Strange i dont see that Rich in firefox.

Version: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.10) Gecko/20100922 Linux Mint/10 (Julia) Firefox/3.6.10
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-02-13 10:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Rich Hawley - 2011-02-13 8:28 PM

No...but I use IE8, and this is what I see in the bottom right corner of my monitor...
I'm not seeing it in IE8 under XP or in FF 3.6.13. I've taken the auto overflow off, is it still doing it?
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-02-13 10:26 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I'm running firefox 3.6.13 under Linux Mint 9 and this is what I see.

Edited by Yoldering 2011-02-13 10:31 PM

(leftcorner.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments leftcorner.png (7KB - 0 downloads)
takwu Page Icon Posted 2011-02-13 11:00 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I don't have that problem either on IE8 Vista

Rich are you using a large or custom DPI setting? If so you might want to try "XP style scaling", I find it much better.

BTW, I always find this site to be very unfriendly to scaling in general. The font sizes are fixed, the page widths are fixed, even text fields like this quick reply box doesn't fit in a maxed windows at 1024 wide display. It has always been ironic this site doesn't play nice with any mobile (including HPC) browser Title says it all. Why don't we have a thread titled "HPC:Factor in IE 4.0 CE"?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-02-13 11:20 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I'd not support what you are seeing Takwu.

I'm currently looking at the site on 1024x768 on a 15" LCD, typing into the quick reply box and there is no horizontal scrolling here.

When I wrote in the ability to make the "site" pages fixed or dynamic width based on user choice, only 5 people used the feature. So it wasn't worth re-engineering it into v2.5.

The "site" fonts aren't fixed width, it's the Forum's are are fixed. It's one of those bugs that I never wrote out of the forum code from the core developer.

You can start a thread called "HPC:Factor in IE 4.0 CE" but it won't get you anywhere as I stopped making the site IECE compatible in 2004. 2.5% of the sites traffic comes in on CE itself. If I make it CE compatible it can't be CSS compatible or use XHTML or XML for that matter. If you want dynamic typography and delimited elements you have to have full CSS support; what we have is a targeted choice.

Lastly, you've been a member here since October 2004 and this is the first I've heard of it being an issue for you. So you know, see it from my point of view; it probably isn't *really* an issue.
takwu Page Icon Posted 2011-02-13 11:54 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ok so maybe I over-reacted a little But really 1024 is the minimum for the site, if you resize the window (so it's smaller than 1024), all pages on the site get horizontally scrolled If all pages can be viewed at the standard HPC resolution (640x240), and perhaps scalable up to 1280 wide (doubled), then the site would be so much more enjoyable to visit from different devices.

All the CSS and XML are cool, but it also serves as a reminder to HPC users that their browsers can't do them. It would be nice to make it IE CE compatible, even if you lose all that fancy formatting, and push that browser to its limits, just like some HPC users push their devices/software to their limits. I know it's your site, but you could make a test site and ask if your visitors don't mind the simpler design in exchange for compatibility on older browsers.

I really did not know about the option for dynamic page width. And I agree, I have perhaps made a total of one thread about this issue, years ago. It isn't really an issue, as like you said only a small portion of site traffic comes from CE. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't promote it.

Finally, many HPC users (or ex users) have also other mobile devices. Even the mobile browsers on the latest devices have trouble accessing this site on their relatively smaller screen. As you know I have a WP7 device, which can display the pages fine, but once I try posting anything with the huge quick reply box, it becomes painful. If you made this site at least mobile friendly, many mobile device users (who have an interest, current or not, in HPCs) will appreciate it.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-02-14 7:24 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm seeing the same thing as Yoldering using Firefox 3.6.13 in XP. The footer looks fine.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-02-14 10:54 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2011-02-13 11:54 PM

Ok so maybe I over-reacted a little But really 1024 is the minimum for the site, if you resize the window (so it's smaller than 1024), all pages on the site get horizontally scrolled If all pages can be viewed at the standard HPC resolution (640x240), and perhaps scalable up to 1280 wide (doubled), then the site would be so much more enjoyable to visit from different devices.

All the CSS and XML are cool, but it also serves as a reminder to HPC users that their browsers can't do them. It would be nice to make it IE CE compatible, even if you lose all that fancy formatting, and push that browser to its limits, just like some HPC users push their devices/software to their limits. I know it's your site, but you could make a test site and ask if your visitors don't mind the simpler design in exchange for compatibility on older browsers.

I really did not know about the option for dynamic page width. And I agree, I have perhaps made a total of one thread about this issue, years ago. It isn't really an issue, as like you said only a small portion of site traffic comes from CE. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't promote it.

Finally, many HPC users (or ex users) have also other mobile devices. Even the mobile browsers on the latest devices have trouble accessing this site on their relatively smaller screen. As you know I have a WP7 device, which can display the pages fine, but once I try posting anything with the huge quick reply box, it becomes painful. If you made this site at least mobile friendly, many mobile device users (who have an interest, current or not, in HPCs) will appreciate it.
Many years ago when I first wrote the kernel for the site it was always the intention to have a modified default theme for Windows CE connections. The original kernel file was marked up with where that code would have gone. It never happened mainly because it was never requested.

This is where it was left:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/homepage/elements/amalthea/

As to the quick reply box, I looked at the code to see if there is a HTML 3 cols tag in it. There isn't. This is all the text box is drawn by:
<textarea style='width:95%' rows='10' class='bbseditbox' name='messagebody' id='messagebody'></textarea>

So it should be coming up as 95% of the width of its container.
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-02-14 11:08 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Okay, someone is messing with my head. Today I checked down at the bottom right and it looks and works like eveyone elses does...perfect. Something changed...but whatever it was, it fixed the minor glitch I was experiencing.

Even the characters change colors and the little signal changes color too when I pass over it with the mouse....

(snap1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments snap1.jpg (9KB - 0 downloads)
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-02-14 11:20 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

May be a bad cache from while I was installing the change?

Anything else?
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-02-14 2:47 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I've done a quick fix to make forum message body text accessable.
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2011-02-14 3:48 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Damn that day when site developers started optimizing pages for browsers...
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-02-14 3:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Might as well damn the day they quit using simple straightforward html and started using java...

I don't like it either...
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.312 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 14