x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CE 5.0 Refuses to open CE applications

TheDutchOwner Page Icon Posted 2011-02-15 6:37 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've got a annoying error: Windows CE 5.0 says that all apps for CE (WMP1.2 for example) aren't valid CE files and it just won't open!
All CE programs i've tried failed to open! What is wrong with it?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-02-15 7:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Did you read the articles in support on installing programs from the host, cab and manually?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-02-15 8:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Key in on what C:Amie said about manually. Since the majority of older CE programs were meant to be installed via an Activesync connection, and nearly all CE5 devices do not have that capability, then you cannot go that route.

Since most all cab files from older applications are targeted towards ARM or XScale cpus, most cab files will not install on these CE5 devices (Chinese netbooks) because while the cpus are compatible, they are not of a type recognized by the installer programs.

Hence...learn how to first locate the cab files when using a desktop installer, and then once you can find those on your desktop, learn how to extract the individual components from the cab file using MSCEinf to copy them to an SD card and then from there copy them to your CE5 netbook.
 Top of the page
TheDutchOwner Page Icon Posted 2011-02-15 8:13 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I ain't talking about Netbooks, i'm talking about my (unlocked) Mio Moov 200 GPS. I use the installers that work manually on CE, but that doesn't work

Edited by TheDutchOwner 2011-02-15 8:15 PM
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2011-02-15 8:14 PM
#
Or save yourself the hassle and grab my "mega pack" of software. Just unzip the contents to SD card and run from there or copy what you want to your device.

http://bento-linux.org/wiki/wm8505/vt8505/windows-ce/mega-pack

Cheers.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-02-15 8:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Ahhh, well then did you try and run executability check on the player.exe file to make sure you had all the required drivers available, such as ceshell.dll, commctrl.dll, coredll.dll, and have a compatible aygshell.dll?

Since you are trying to run an application that wasn't written for your device, you may have to try several drivers to find the ones that work. Or an even better idea is to find a newer multimedia player that isn't so fussy.

Regardless, there is quite a following for this particular GPS here: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=110897 where you might get more specific help.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-02-16 7:03 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Does Executability Check work on the Mio Moov 200, Rich? I've yet to see it work on a CE 5 device.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-02-16 10:51 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Hmmm, don't know, but there are two versions of exec check. One for hpcs and another larger version. I'll attach both to this post for anyone who doesn't have both of them...

Attachments
----------------
Attachments check.zip (23KB - 12 downloads)
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2011-02-16 8:31 PM
#
It will work on CE5 but in order to get the file browser to display you have to run it from cmd.exe or create a shortcut specifying which directory to open. E.G: ExecutabilityCheck.exe \ will open the root directory.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
abpp
abpp Page Icon Posted 2011-04-02 3:49 AM
#
Do any apps work with WinCE 5 x86??
 Top of the page
hlwilliams Page Icon Posted 2011-04-08 12:43 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have tried to hex edit several programs to get them to work on CE 5. Executibility Check was one of them. I changed the dll's to dll's from my Dell x50 which has PPC2003. I even hex edited the PPC dll's so that they all used PPC dll's. Still no go. even though I had a "green board" in Dependency Walker. So the problem isn't a missing export from a called dll. They are all arm dll's no thumbs. It has to be a dynamically loaded dll right? How do I find out what dll's are called dynamically? has anyone else tried to investigate into why even PPC2003 programs won't run? Or am I completely out in left field?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 46 - Executed queries : 30