x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

DOS program on HP 360Lx

[Frozen]
Frozen
Walter W.
Walter W. Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 3:34 AM
#
Hello,

I just got a HP 360Lx in perfect condition with the serial docking station. I would like to use it with a DOS-program to control a CNC-mill (for PCB milling). Is it possible to run a DOS-program on that device? OS is WIN CE 2.0.

The AC-adapter is missing and I would like to know the voltage/current ratings of the original one.

Thanks for any help
Walter
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 5:05 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Walter, I have a 320lx which uses the same power supply. The adaptor for that outputs 5.25v at 1.5A, centre pin positive. HP part number is F1218A.

Regarding DOS... The short answer is no, you can't run dos programs natively. The processor in it is a Hitachi SH3, which uses a different instruction set to the x86 in any PC.

There is a DOS emulation product out there (http://www.pocketdos.com/), but I think you'll have no joy with it because you've got a WinCE 2.0 device. It seems to support wince 2.11 (HPC Pro) but not 2.0. I'd give it a try all the same, it can only say "Nope"!

How much processing power does the CNC miller program need? I assume it controls things over a standard serial port? If you're looking for a small, dos compatible device then the HP200lx might be the one for you if it has enough processing power, or look for something like a Toshiba Libretto 50, 70, 100, or 110. They're all Pentium based laptop PCs - I still use a Libretto 100 on a regular basis for a variety of things. With the 32MB upgrade (taking it to 64MB) it can run Win2k almost happily . The 50 and the 70 have 640x480 screens, Pentium processors, 16MB of memory expandable to 32MB, and the 100/110 are a little bigger but have 800x480 screens, Pentium MMX processors and 32MB of memory expandable to 64MB.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on. If you want more info on the libbys or 200lx, let me know.

Cheers,
Nick.

Top of the page
Walter W.
Walter W. Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 7:59 AM
#
Nick,

I'm impressed - I didn't expect to get such a most valuable answer to my question regarding a 10year old? computer device in such a short time. Thanks a lot!

The milling application demands quite low performance - I ran it on an antique IBM-PC (too big), a Toshiba T1100 (cool blue on white display, the floppy belt got weak), and 3 other Laptops which more or less died silently. A device without mechanical parts should be a solution of longer life. I once tried a 100Lx (or was it a 200Lx?) from a friend for this application and it worked - unfortunatly he did'nt want to give it away . Draw back of this solution is the small display (the application uses the full 640x480 VGA-screen).

Your assumption is correct, the application drives the mill via the serial port. I transfer a HPGL-file from the PC (EAGLE-Layout or AutoCad) to the milling-PC. There I can set several parameters like zoom factor, start point, ... The program then transfers the HPGL to a special language for this mill and outputs that via RS232.

The Librettos would be an advantage on one side with the full VGA-display but again have moving parts. Since I use the mill just once or twice a year things tend to get defective in between (HDD's get blocked bearings, capacitors die, ...).

I think the best solution will be to trade the 360Lx for a 200Lx or do you have any suggetion of a full VGA-device without moving parts?

Greetings from Vienna
Walter
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 9:33 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Pocket DOS / XTCE will operate under CE2.0, I've used it under a 320LX frequently enough. The nice thing about Pocket DOS is that they have backdated versions running through to the CE1 OS.

Pocket DOS provides access through to the serial port, so in that respect you will be able to run your application - though I must say that I have never used serial against it myself.

There is a free trial of Pocket DOS which has a nag screen every few minutes. One thingto note is that Pocket DOS comes in two licensing modes, one with just the emulator and the other with the emulator and a DOS license (the specific release escapes me). If you needed MS-DOS 6.22, PC Dos or Caldera 7, you can image up your own license using free tools.
Where as with the 200 series you're stuck with MS-DOS 5.

Don't be surprised on the reply, there still exists a sizeable community of LX users out there, and a lot of dedicated, thoroughly outstanding users in the H/PC community in general who are willing to help.
 Top of the page
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 9