x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Powers on by itself...

Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2011-03-01 10:45 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Both of my Windows CE pocket pcs have a bad habit of powering themselves on, and wearing out the batteries. Is there a cure for this?
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-03-01 10:58 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Check your alarm settings. Sometimes that is the culprit.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-03-01 10:59 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Or call in a priest.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-03-01 11:23 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Go to Start -> ActiveSync -> Tools -> Options -> Schedule and UNCHECK the top two checkboxes that deal with synchronization with a MIS server

Also, check to see if it happens at midnight...that is caused sometimes by it trying to update the today info. The Mobilepro 900 used to have a similar problem that required a software fix...
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2011-03-01 11:39 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Midnight Class B - For Windows CE based (ARM and MIPS) handheld PCs running CE 3.0 or higher, this will solve the problem where your unit turns on randomly at midnight.
 Top of the page
NathanielZhu Page Icon Posted 2011-03-02 2:57 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

It's Paranormal Activity in real life!
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2011-03-02 6:02 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Ah I didn't know there was a real fix.

The cause is CE needs to update it's appointment reminders, and it chooses to do it at midnight every frigging day.

The problem is usually ignored or unnoticed because your PPC should be set to go back to standby by itself, unless you had a program running when you enter standby, and such program prevents auto standby. (sorry to say "standby" three times in a sentense.)

The most popular example is Windows Media Player, which has an option to prevent standby so you can listen to music uninterrupted. I don't think there's a fix for that so they just suggest you terminate the player before you go to bed.

The second most popular example is Linksys WiFi software, which prevents standby whenever there's an active WiFi connection. That's what the NEC MP900 patch "fixes", which doesn't prevent the wakeup, but somehow enables auto standby even if Linksys has a connection.

I haven't tried isotherm's fix, but it'd be nice if it prevents the wakeup altogether.
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2011-03-02 1:32 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The file was created a few years ago by forum member Michael_V. From the readme: "After installation, Midnight Class B runs automatically when the HPC wakes up. If the local clock is 00:00 (a 60 second period), it sleeps 5 seconds and then suspends the HPC." It doesn't prevent the wakeup altogether; however, it should resolve the problem.
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2011-03-04 4:01 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks to everyone for the help - have not tried Midnight Class B yet, right now it looks like that is the answer.

This reply sent in Worldtalk browser...PIE on my MP 880 just got an error message when I tried to log on.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 28