x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

hmmm, mistake did I make?

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2011-03-03 1:41 AM
#
H/PC Elder

bought did I a netbook pro accompany netbook chinese times 2.

long story short. I bought a pair of netbooks , one for me and the other for my girl.

BUT along came a netbook pro for which things good have been heard my ears so saY.

thusly, has anyone here owned both a chinese netbook and the psion netbook pro? I'm interested in a seat of the pants comparison. Which one do you prefer and what the major pros and cons that you noticed while using them.

For example, I'm concerned the psion, with a built-in 'b' wifi won't let a guy use a 'g' card. Or maybe that's moot as there are no pcmcia g cards...

Yet the chinese netbooks have the permanent battery issue, when it dies you have a hard time to source a battery...
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-03-03 2:48 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hello Yoda!
 Top of the page
Thecatmilton Page Icon Posted 2011-03-03 2:54 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

my mom accidentally broke my netbook's screen and I have been parting it out how much would you buy the battery for ?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-03-03 5:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The Netbook Pro has built-in (802.11b) WiFi? That's news to me, wally - and I have two NBPs.

The NBP has three card slots: one PCMCIA, one CF, and one SD. And, as I'm sure you know, there are plenty of CF 802.11g cards.

The NBP is a nice device. I still use mine with my Sierra 860 card for 3G Web browsing where there's no open WiFi network. (Browsed all the way to Vegas on a charter bus once in 2008. )
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-03-03 6:01 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I've got the Epoc version (might look at the pro sometime) and I can tell you in regards to build quality, it's great. Never have I held such a solid device. So combine that with .net and I think you've got a great handheld with an awesome keyboard.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2011-03-03 3:01 PM
#
H/PC Elder

CE Geek - 2011-03-03 12:22 AM

The Netbook Pro has built-in (802.11b) WiFi? That's news to me, wally - and I have two NBPs.

The NBP has three card slots: one PCMCIA, one CF, and one SD. And, as I'm sure you know, there are plenty of CF 802.11g cards.

The NBP is a nice device. I still use mine with my Sierra 860 card for 3G Web browsing where there's no open WiFi network. (Browsed all the way to Vegas on a charter bus once in 2008. )

Hmmm. IIRC my ebay vendor said it has a 'b' radio and a couple of reviews I read said the same. Also, there's a blurb in the NBP QS guide that mentions radios, wifi and BT.

I must have 10 'b' wifi cards. Tho' they are awsome and all with no wpa they are not useful to me. Unless there's wpa drivers for some of my cards...I keep reading threads alluding to said beasts. Going to finally start that thread.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-03-03 4:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I know that my Cisco 350 used to support WPA with my 900C, and that was before trying a hacked version of Aegis Client with it. But I've never gotten WPA to work with any othr wifi card I own.

I finally got tired of the limitations and changed my home wifi router to WEP only...what the heck, I really only do that to keep the neighborhood kids from riding free on my signal.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2011-03-03 4:36 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I think, if I look deep enough I can create a fairly safe setup with a 'b' access point.

windows has some tools to limit many aspects of tcp. dd-wrt has incredible granularity.

between these two I hope to lock down what gets into my system.

that, or spend $25 and buy an ambicom 'g' card I spotted on ebay. pretty nuts eh? spend 1/2 the cost of a chinese netbook on a wifi card. well, having now seen that in writing there's no way I'm dropping $25 on a wifi card. before I go that route...
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2011-03-13 9:14 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Look at the 900c wPA thread it has some recommended cards
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2011-03-13 1:19 PM
#
H/PC Elder

mr-mac - 2011-03-13 4:14 AM

Look at the 900c wPA thread it has some recommended cards

uh, you mean the thread with the dlink 660, belkin f5d5060 and wpc11 using the wcf12 prismnds.dll driver?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 10