x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-03-10 7:26 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've been playing around with some Pocket PC software suspend/shutdown utilities on my ZT-180 tablet for a quicker shutdown since after installing some software on it the shutdown dialog box has somehow become disabled. (It still shuts down by holding the power button for about ten seconds.) I notice that suspend scripts that fully power off my CE 6 netbooks appear to do what looks like a partial suspend on the ZT-180: the display is turned off and the touchscreen disabled, but pushing and releasing the power button quickly brings back the display, and if a mouse is connected, it still works (at least for a while). I'm wondering what this says about the possibility of someone successfully writing a true suspend program for at least this CE 6 device.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-03-10 9:46 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Suspend (S-States) isn't a program as such, it's a combination of hardware support in the power supply equipment, BIOS programming and OS mappings to accomodate both. By the sounds of it the best you can hope for is a driver utility that turns off the ccfl, screen, wifi, ports and bluetooth. CPU's also have an equivalent of the S-State, the perhaps unremarkably named C-State. I'm not sure of C-State support in any version of CE though.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-03-11 9:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I was kinda thinking along those lines - I didn't know if the CPU could be put into a sleep mode like on our older H/PCs, but I figured all the other hardware could be shut down with the right set of instructions in a program. I assume that state is essentially what H/PC Linux builds do in lieu of true suspend. I suppose that means the battery would run down after a couple of days in that state. Still, it might be useful in some situations to have this alternative to a full shutdown and reboot.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.109 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 8