x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

got my chinese gadget today....

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2011-03-14 11:33 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I got 2 actually. they look identical.

I've nothing new to add to the discussion. They're cute, they work and they were cheap.

Now, a couple of oddities.

I can't adjust the system memory slider. I take it that's normal.

It dawned on me these things are all 2gb and the 128mb or 256mb working ram is part of this 2gb? So why can't a guy somehow change the allocation of that ram so, for instance, he could have 512mb for ram and maybe 64mb for storage?

Without checking, do these things hard reset each time the power is off?

Top of the page
Thecatmilton Page Icon Posted 2011-03-14 11:46 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

you have a really good point
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-03-15 7:53 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

If they're the ones you got from me, then no, each reboot is not a hard reset. The Via SoC (system-on-chip) processor (including the WM8505 on the ones you got) is configured to retain settings after shutting down, so everything's still there after reboot. Indeed, I inadvertently ran the battery down on mine once, and everything was still there when I supplied power to it and turned it on - the only thing lost were the date and time settings, which were easy enough to reset.

As for the memory slider, that's a weird quirk in CE 6 devices. It's a non-issue if you install everything in the \Flash Disk folder. (It's a problem in my SmartQ V5, though, since there doesn't seem to be a dedicated flash storage folder on that device. I assume that's because of how it was partitioned to accommodate all three OSs installed.)
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2011-03-15 3:52 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

2GB is FLASH memory, NOT RAM.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2011-03-15 7:25 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Alt Bass - 2011-03-15 10:52 AM

2GB is FLASH memory, NOT RAM.

so...

the user memory is a separate chip on the motherboard? and not part of the 2gb flash memory? but the user memory appears to be persistent like Geek says so you have confused me, and perhaps others here, even more.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2011-03-15 8:07 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

What do you mean when you say "user memory"? The program memory occupies the whole RAM, the storage memory occupies the whole flash memory (excluding ROM-section). The storage memory on Jornada (for example) is located in RAM, so it's not persistent. The storage memory in netbooks is located in flash memory, so it is persistent.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-03-16 5:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

What Alt Bass said.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2011-03-27 3:03 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Alt Bass - 2011-03-15 3:07 PM

What do you mean when you say "user memory"? The program memory occupies the whole RAM, the storage memory occupies the whole flash memory (excluding ROM-section). The storage memory on Jornada (for example) is located in RAM, so it's not persistent. The storage memory in netbooks is located in flash memory, so it is persistent.

are there two distinct chips for memory?

is there one chip for the 2gb nand flash
AND
another chip for the 128/256mb area that user data resides during creation, like documents and spreadsheets?

OR

if there is a single 2gb nand, then, follow me here, it's not difficult, why can't we change the memory allocation?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 48 - Executed queries : 26