x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

lnux on Izzi Pro (handheld pc)

unplugged Page Icon Posted 2011-03-23 9:22 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi everybody!

Long time ago I bought a handheld pc running windows ce 2.11 (Izzi Pro from samsung). This device used to meet my needs. However nowadays it is almost useless.

I just wonder if any of you know if it is possible to install any linux distro on this old handheld pc.

I was thinking about Puppy linux; but I don't know if it is possible to have Puupy running on this handheld pc or not.

I just want to read e-mail and manage/write my blog on blogger.com when I am away from home. I've got CF card 16gb and also I hope to be able to use my wireless Lan CF card

Any suggestion? Any "how to install puppy in a handheld pc"?

Thanks a lot
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-03-23 7:53 PM
#
Avatar image of MobilePro Master
H/PC Philosopher

Isn't it possible to do all those things with Windows CE? The blogging might pose some trouble because of encryption, but it sounds doable without changing the OS. Anyway, I think you should try it using CE before you switch to Linux, unless you already have tried. I can send and receive my email using Pocket Outlook though. (It did take some tinkering with the settings, but it works. It does depend on the type of email; I use Comcast.)
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-03-24 12:21 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Is the J-680 a CE 2.11 device? If it is, then JLime Linux may run on yours. Puppy, not. No one's even gotten that to work on a Sharp Zaurus, let alone a CE handheld.

Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-03-24 3:57 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Is there a MIPS version of JLime, Jake?

Is NetBSD a possibility? I know that supports MIPS.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-03-24 10:53 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

You're right, I think JLime is ARM: J's and MobilePro 900. Hadn't thought of that, was only pondering the flavor of CE, not the processor. I don't know about NetBSD; that's an interesting alternative.

Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-03-25 7:02 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, there is an SH3 version of JLime too (for the HP 6x0 series). But I'm not aware of a MIPS version.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-03-25 3:16 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

You can give Linux/MIPS a try... I don't need the frustration!
Here is the wiki http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Main_Page
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-03-25 3:28 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yoldering--nice find. All kinds of machines there. Didn't see the Izzi, but I fear we're lost our initial post-er anyway. We seem to be talking to ourselves

Jake
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-03-25 3:41 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I feel sometimes like we always talk to ourselves...
Since I finally got a 900C I am considering trying out JLime, however, I lost my CF card and you can't do it without one. I just looked up the cost of a new one and I will wait! They are too expensive at the moment.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-03-25 3:55 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I really enjoyed playing w/ jlime on my j-720. The browsing was obviously much more fun than CE. Other things were tougher, especially the email setup. Once you get it working, it's fine, but the program's too large for the j-720 screen so there's a lot of tab-to-offscreen work. But it's a pretty amazing project, and recent releases may well have cleaned up some of these glitches.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 46 - Executed queries : 31