x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Programs just won't start

hlwilliams Page Icon Posted 2011-03-27 7:58 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I recemtly purchased a Sylvania 7' netbook from ebay. I also have a Visual Land V-net. The Sylvania is a CE6 machine and has persistance. I had to do a lot of hacking to the v-net to get it to boot with my installed progarms. The v-net would always complain about missing dll's or "this is not a valid" program stuff. The Sylvania doesn't complain about programs. They just don't start. NOTHING!! I can double click and can right click and open and nothing. One program in particular is SK HexED. It is a PPC 2002 program and should run with no problems. I edited Aygshell, Coredll and Commctrl so that I had no errors in Dependency Checker but it still won't even attempt to startup. Any ideas??

BTW, I like the Sylvania much better. Python 2.5 loaded and ran. Java loaded and ran. A lot of other programs that the V-net refused to run, just work on the Sylvania. I also love the way it reloads. No more pulling batteries and trying to get it jumpered. Though I did make my own little jumer tool out of a bent paperclip that made that process much easier. I just put in a SD and power back up and it takes care of the rest. Looks like I can even customize what gets loaded. It has a System directory that is already in the SystemPath that has what looks like modded dll's.

So has anyone else gotten around the no run thing? Am I missing a dll that Dependency Walker isn't showing me?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-03-27 8:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

CE 6 seems to have done away with the "Cannot find . . . " error message (at least when the program is there but dependencies are missing). When you supply all the DLLs it calls for and it still does nothing, I'm guessing that one or more of the DLLs doesn't export all the necessary functions. I use PEInfo on the device to identify when DLLs are missing, and it does describe the ordinal functions in its reports, but I'm still too much of a techno-idiot to be able to tell from the reports whether it's identifying any functions that are not exporting properly.

I agree about the way the Sylvania is configured - even though I don't have one. It's a Via/WonderMedia WM8505 device, and it's really easy to customize with settings that stay in place even after a power loss.
 Top of the page
hlwilliams Page Icon Posted 2011-03-27 9:04 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

PEInfo says that all the dll's are loadable and since executiblitycheck always says dll'd can't be loaded in CE5 and CE6 it's hard to tell if a dll isn't exporting a function. Dependency Walker says that all dll's are present and gives no export functions missing.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-03-27 9:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

How'd you even get Executability Check to work in CE 6? Neither the older nor the newer version executes for me, even from the command line. (I get the "serious error" message.)
 Top of the page
hlwilliams Page Icon Posted 2011-03-27 10:17 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Your right, sorry. I was thinking CE5. I get the same error. It would be really nice if some good programmer could fix it to run right on CE5 & CE6.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.219 - Cached queries : 44 - Executed queries : 28