x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Possible part of ranking system

MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-04-06 1:02 AM
#
Avatar image of MobilePro Master
H/PC Philosopher

Right now, you're ranked on how many posts you have posted. I was thinking that maybe you could also be ranked on how long you have been an active member, or maybe the number of days under your avatar when you post. What do the rest of you think? As for me, I am coming up on my one-year anniversary in two weeks.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-04-06 9:00 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That would mean that I'm always number 1 and you're always 15621.

You can see posting averages in forum profiles, which may be a better idea, but what's the advantage in the metric?
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-04-06 10:08 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

When MPM posted this, my first thought was, Well, maybe we could show the date the member joined on each post, perhaps right under the member number. Some other forum sites do that.
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-04-06 12:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

How about a formula...use the date someone registered, compute the number of days, divide it by the numer of posts to compute the member's activity level or ranking, and then round it to the nearest whole positive integer...that way a new users could surpass an older member. Then we could adjust the ranking automatically by subtracting 1 point per day of non-activity. Someone who doesn't post, would eventually revert back to zero.

Hmmm, how complicated could we make this? OR NOT!
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-04-06 12:53 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I guess I was thinking of something in between CE Geek's idea and Rich's. Either way would work, but it would be easier to implement the former.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-04-06 1:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Well, what exactly is 'somewhere between'? CAn't program what I don't understand
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-04-06 1:21 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I like CE Geek's idea. You can put a "Born On Date" under our name...and/or average posts???
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-04-06 2:21 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well C:Amie, you already have the date registered as part of the user's profile...I guess you could list it with the posts as well. But I doubt anything else would change anything...I mean no one will ever catch up to you and CEGeek unless they just start spamming the forum with useless posts for the heck of it...and those we could just ban forever.

I'm thinking that we should base user rating on age...the older you are, the more value you represent.
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-04-06 2:35 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Rich, They will still have to catch up to cmonex first. BTW cmonex! where are you? I miss you, I miss Snappy! too.
NathanielZhu Page Icon Posted 2011-04-06 5:40 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2011-04-06 2:21 PM

Well C:Amie, you already have the date registered as part of the user's profile...I guess you could list it with the posts as well. But I doubt anything else would change anything...I mean no one will ever catch up to you and CEGeek unless they just start spamming the forum with useless posts for the heck of it...and those we could just ban forever.

I'm thinking that we should base user rating on age...the older you are, the more value you represent.

I don't think we should have a static system based on age or date joined. An old person doesn't always have more computing experience and knowledge as someone young.

I think rank should be based on some sort of effort.
-------------------------------------------
I suggest something like a thumbs-up/thumbs-down system. Someone who makes a very helpful post may get thumbs up from other members, while abusive members get thumbs down.
------------------------------------------
arlex Page Icon Posted 2011-04-06 6:55 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi everybody!
What about using as qualification criteria competence and contribution to solving problems raised by other members?
Obviously can't measure competence easily even in real life, we have to forget about it. But for contribution other sites put the "Thank you" radio button under the avatar. A very direct way to reward everything: competence, language and communication skills, contribution, etc.

Anyway, kind of late here to apply that for the HPCs, most of the problems have been solved long ago and it would be deeply unfair to have a new guy overpassing cmonex after 5 answers. But for the new CE OS it is not too late. Except that I did not see so many questions in that field either....:-(((

What about inventing an honorific title, let's say "Member of Honour of the HPC Academy", where all the site founders, administrator, moderators and seniors will get it?
And apply the Thank you principle only from now on for the rest of the members? How does this sound?
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-04-06 7:03 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

You guys have kind of taken this to a whole new level. All I was thinking is that the number of days registered would display under the username with everything else. Anything new that is based on information the site doesn't currently have would not be a good idea because it would allow new members to surpass older ones, being that everyone starts with zero.
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-04-06 7:40 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

NathanielZhu, it was a joke.... "I'm thinking that we should base user rating on age...the older you are, the more value you represent."

My next line would have been something like, "All members over 58 years of age receive a token monthly payment from those less that 58." BTW, I'm turning 58 in a couple months...

It stinks getting old! I think, or maybe I'm not sure...I can't remember...anyway getting old is something....
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-04-06 8:26 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I will provide a token payment to anyone who can prove they're getting older faster than I am
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-04-07 5:37 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

50 sounds like a rounder number to me, Rich. ('Course, I just turned 50 a few months ago.) (You've also been outpacing me in posts lately.)

Yoldering, cmonex came around here a couple of weeks ago. Check the comments on the front page news item about our current front page poll. (Even Hurricane John turned up the other day.)

Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11