x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP360LX SP1 and pdf reader (2 questions)

newn Page Icon Posted 2011-04-12 9:54 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi.
I have HP360LX with Windows CE 2.0 (default configuration). I would like to be able to read PDF files, but I am unable to find a reader for it.
Also, I would like to know how to know if the SP1 is installed or not? I installed it and was asked to reset the device (so it deletes everything, goes back to the default settings, etc.), I did that, but now what? Is it installed or not? It resets everything, doesn't it? Is there a way to find out?

Thanks.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-04-13 7:18 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The details of what SP1 does can be found on this page:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/patching/ce20/sp1/

The only PDF reader ever written for CE 2.0 is Ansyr Primer, which is time-limited shareware and virtually impossible to find online nowadays.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-04-13 9:45 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There are two types of reset a soft reset (nib in the back of the coin cell compartment) and a hard reset (no power for 60 seconds)

Soft resets do not delete data.

If you see sp1readme.txt in the windows folder, SP1 is installed.
 Top of the page
newn Page Icon Posted 2011-04-13 11:49 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

PDF... I will google around for it, thanks.
As for the soft reset - that's what I did. I pushed the red nib near the coin cell compartment, and all the information was gone. Well, there was no information yet, but I created one word file just to see it it'll get deleted or not. It was deleted.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-04-13 12:38 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Did you have a coin cell and betteries in it when you pushed the reset button?
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2011-04-13 12:38 PM
#
H/PC Elite

You can tell if there was a soft reset or hard reset by the Welcome Screen of Windows CE. If after a reset you are presented with a calibration screen (that thing with moving cross that you need to tap) and clock configuration, than it was a hard reset.
But if after the reset you get the normal WindowsCE screen as if you had only shutdown and restarted your computer, than it was a soft reset.
Pressing the reset button will only cause soft-resets. But if you take all the power from your unit (e.g. batteries) and press reset than it will be a hard reset. Try plugging your HPC on the outlet before you reset it.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2011-04-13 12:39 PM
#
H/PC Elite

C:Amie, we posted a reply exactly at the same time!! :|
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-04-13 1:30 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

ntware - 2011-04-13 12:38 PM

Pressing the reset button will only cause soft-resets.
With the caveat that repeatedly pressing it or holding it down for an excess (many seconds) will trip out and hard reset it.
 Top of the page
newn Page Icon Posted 2011-04-13 2:01 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

It seems that the button needs to be pressed and released very quickly, otherwise it hard-resets it. When I do that, it works now.

I've got another 2 questions though:
How to make Mobi Pocket Reader to work on this handheld?
And how to install software from files like "*.00x" while x = number?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-04-13 8:28 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Mobireader for CE 2.0 should be available at their site in "old versions" or something. At least I found it there for my Sharp Molibon 4100, which is MIPS. Dunno what the processor is on the 360LX...ARM? Use the cab, it's easier.

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-04-13 9:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Read the guides on installing software from host, cab and manually in support. Sounds like you're inflating a cab installer.

Please don't multi-post questions or dredge threads.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-04-14 7:47 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Jake, surely you know there were no CE 2.0 devices with ARM processors. (The 360LX uses an SH3 processor.)

Files with extensions that are digits-only (eg, .000, .001, etc) are usually manually extracted from CAB files. CAB files are supposed to be run on the H/PC to install the program. It sounds like you tried to execute the CAB file on your PC. (IIRC, Mobipocket Reader 4.8, the last version to officially support the H/PC platform, does support CE 2.0.).

My first H/PC, an LG Phenom H-120F (another SH3 CE 2.0 device), had a tendency to hard reset when I pressed the reset button, but it may have been my own inexperience, because I suspect it was from pushing the reset button more than once at a time. It took a while to get used to the fact that you still had to power on many of those early CE 2.0 devices after pushing the reset button.
 Top of the page
newn Page Icon Posted 2011-04-14 3:15 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Mobi Reader from the .cab file seems to be working, it still says that the installation has failed.
I have some other questions, but I'll post them in a new thread, because it's even more off-topic.

Thanks for your help.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 9