x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

J720 Transflective LCD mod

[Frozen]
1 2 3 4 5
Frozen
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-02-15 10:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

One for Sir Snappy! there I think PS. Beyond my remit.

Anyone here IEEE certified?
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 1:01 AM
#
Well, at the very least, we need to get the spec sheets for both the DSTN and TFT screens. I don't think there'll be more signal wires but we would have to look at things like grounding, power for the TFT screen (potentially the biggest problem) etc. I've heard of Newtonites who hooked up a color screen to their B&W devices before, so I don't see how this is impossible, but it will be quite a challenge.

Alternatively... why not get guys like Used Handhelds to hook up with David and see whether they could come up with an upgrade pack. My 2 cents...
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 9:29 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I've sent an email to the guy with the LCD. No replies yet.
 Top of the page
Guest Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 1:27 PM
#
Here is the link on the specs on the Hitachi Screen: http://www.hitachi-displays.com/en/catalog/amusement_devices/201214...
hope this helps. I do have quite a few of them.

Regards

David
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 2:55 PM
#
H/PC Elite

alfabob - 2006-02-16 12:01 AM

Well, at the very least, we need to get the spec sheets for both the DSTN and TFT screens. I don't think there'll be more signal wires but we would have to look at things like grounding, power for the TFT screen (potentially the biggest problem) etc. I've heard of Newtonites who hooked up a color screen to their B&W devices before, so I don't see how this is impossible, but it will be quite a challenge.

Alternatively... why not get guys like Used Handhelds to hook up with David and see whether they could come up with an upgrade pack. My 2 cents...

As Programsynth said already, we've inspected the datasheets and found out that the TFT has twice the number of RBG connectors than the DSTN
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 3:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

so is it possible then?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 4:01 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Guest - 2006-02-16 11:27 AM

Here is the link on the specs on the Hitachi Screen: http://www.hitachi-displays.com/en/catalog/amusement_devices/201214...
hope this helps. I do have quite a few of them.

Regards

David

David, I wrote you an email a few days back. Wonder if you received it. So you are certain this LCD can be used as a drop-in replacement for the Jornada 720?

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 6:57 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

alfabob - 2006-02-16 7:01 AM

if i understand you correctly then grounding & power should not be a problem:

they (the original dstn panel and this tft) both require 3.3V and the pinout is 1:gnd, 2:high for both

usedhandhelds is a great idea!! just think of the 200lx backlight project
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 9:01 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I highly doubt that power and grounding would be a problem. Pretty much, all the wires are in the same position, we just have a lot of rgb cables. Please, don't make me repeat that again.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 9:13 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

PS, but does that (too many rgb connectors) make the idea impossible? really no chance?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-16 9:28 PM
#
H/PC Elder

That is what we need to find out. I do not know enough about the technology to tell you that we can simply merge all the red, blue, and green wires into one of each. If we could, that would be excellent. Personally, I do not understand why tft needs more color information.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 7:13 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Maybe the TFT It seems the TFT has 200k+ colours vs 64k colours in our DSTN LCDs. Something tells me the video buffer nor the OS is going to support this properly ... ie if we actually manage to fit in the LCD physically with the extra cables and stuffs.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 7:47 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

the tft in the ephone-II is 256k colours and the OS uses only 256. so... it's possible
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 8:26 PM
#
Ah sorry PS. Thught you meant twice the wiring, not twice the Signal wires. I'll need to have a look at that spec sheets first before I can come up with anything fruitful. But I think its quite possible to carry out this mod.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2006-02-17 9:21 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I think it is possible too, but this is a big risk for something so expensive.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 48 - Executed queries : 30