x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

MP900, Activesync, CFcards and else

tõnna Page Icon Posted 2011-04-22 7:22 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,
I did buy MP900 from ebay. It came in hpc2000 and bootloader 4.5.1-6 configuration. Flashed it straight away to bootloader 4.10 and Cmonex 2.0 ROM. Used for it 512MB CF card (this is important part here). Everything looked fine. Then tried to connect via Activesync and… nothing. Symptoms similar as in this thread: http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10024&st... Activesync searched for MP and nothing and when trying to connect to PC from MP, connection window flashes once and that’s all. Have tried all Activesync versions from 3.8 to 4.5. Have installed NEC usb drivers, added necessary lines to WCEUSBSH.INF. Nothing. Well then I thought that I will try to flash MP back to hpc2000, maybe its some kind of bug in installing Cmonex rom. Well here things gets interesting for me. Tried to use above-mentioned CF card. Formatted it to FAT16, put xip on it and hardbooted my MP. Loader tried to find OS and it didn’t find it. Hmm interesting I thought and did put that card to my PC card reader. It opened fine. I tried to flash again, same. Then I tried to flash Cmonex rom again, with update.exe. Same again. Looks like MP doesn’t read that CF anymore. Tried in booted up MP my other, 4GB CF card, it opens fine. Same with my two 4GB flash sticks. And then tried my 128MB flash stick and MP doesn’t recognize that too. No matter, is it formatted to FAT16 or 32. But on PC it opens fine… So Im lost here. And could anyone give me advise how to check MP slave USB which is used to connect to PC? Maybe it is faulty or something… In some thread I read that maybe is reason in USB 2.0 connection. With USB 1.1 USB hub people got it to work but I just don’t have any.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-04-22 10:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The symptoms you describe are pretty common with the 900 when people initally plug in the 900 via a USB cable to a desktop without first installing the USB drivers. Once you do that...it becomes difficult to correct. Mentioned specifically in the owners manual. Will potentially drive you nuts if you don't.

So the big question: Did you install the Mobilepro 900 USB drivers on your desktop computer before plugging in the 900 via the USB cable first?

Whether it is USB 1.1 or 2.0 has never made any difference in my experience. What I have told people to do in the past is use a system restore on their desktop to a point before they plugged in their 900/900C. Then install the proper USB drivers. Then restart their desktop (just to be sure). Then plug in the 900C, and if necessary, go through the ADD A NEW DEVICE or hardware wizard. Sometimes that alone will fix the problem...and then you have to direct the wizard to the path where you have installed the NEC drivers, normall C:\NEC....etc.

Other things: Read the CESD here about the problems of trying to use Activesync 3.8 after having installed a newer version of Activesync....won't work if you don't delete a certain file.

Some USB sticks just don't work in my experience...but don't know why. Make sure it is as you said, formatted FAT or FAT16...though FAT32 works for me as well. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to be recognized, so don't just open the windows and see that there is no icon....wait for 20 seconds. Also, try a warm reset.

As far as the CF card and OS install, make sure the XIP.bin file is in the root folder of the card. You can hold down the F + C keys and read and install only the OS, but I always just use the update.exe program to do it. I've reflashed the bootloader at least 50 times on one of my 900s and never had a problem....
 Top of the page
tõnna Page Icon Posted 2011-05-02 11:18 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Have uninstalled Activesync and connected cable but still no connection. PC doesn't recognize my MP. That sub 2 gig memorystick/CF card problem bothers me. Have to try find another one. If I don't get it work then I cant flash MP any more. Its still strange. I used that same CF card to flash Cmonex ROM over hpc2000 one...
 Top of the page
t6nna Page Icon Posted 2011-09-05 10:11 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Argh, how stupid can be. After frustration, I left my unit to shell waiting better days. Well yesterday these arrived. I disassembled my unit to take closer look to that mini-USB. Opened housing and at some point noticed, that mini-USB module connector was loose. Hmm, when I did disconnect that? Maybe it just had a loose connector. So I left it there end went on. But when I did start to assemble whole thing I noticed that how much force it did need to to push it together. No hell wasnt it possible to get it open at disassembling. Just I had disassembled my unit shortly after getting it and forgot to connect it back. End of story with this USB connection. But with CF card I did use finally my Jornada CF card and got it work.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 10