x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Personal Information Manager programs?

lisace Page Icon Posted 2011-04-29 11:06 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Let me begin by saying that I love my Jornada.....more than words can say. That said, I bought myself a little one of these Sylvania netbooks. I got a great deal at Sears ($69.00 regular price). I read all of the reviews and became very curious to see what I can do with it. I'm not very savvy with this stuff....just dangerously curious.
I just don't know where to start when it comes to trying to add programs to this netbook. I managed to get DB tools to run, but although it recognizes Listpro...thats about all it does.
With respect to PIM's....I have always used and loved CEAgenda and was hoping that I could get it to run. The developer mentioned something in his forum about not having a POOM, but that's about as far as I got.

Does anyone know what calendar agenda programs might run on this netbook, and what I might have to do to get them to run?? If I could find one that works, it would really make this system very useable for me I know that a personal information program with calendar, contacts, and tasks might be too much to ask, but hey....a girl can dream!!

Thanks so much,
Lisa

Edited by lisace 2011-04-29 11:23 PM
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2011-04-30 1:10 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I don't have experience with CE PIM's, but have you considered turning to the really dark side and using Yahoo! or Google? I don't like the privacy issues (and you can certainly pay too high a price for "free" ), but I've found Google Calendar/Tasks has worked well with me (and my professional agenda isn't all that top-secret and the personal stuff is pseudo-encrypted in my own shorthand code -- I combine 3 calendars which have separate viewing and editting rights). Naturally, it also means that you have to have Internet access. For Contacts, the kludgy hack is that info can be stored as a CVS or similar file that SpreadCE (or any other spreadsheet) can read/sort/find.

I hope that others will give you CE-specific suggestions. It looks like SoftMaker's project DataMaker holds out some hope.

Top of the page
lisace Page Icon Posted 2011-04-30 3:27 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for your advice. I have thought of Google; however I don't always have internet access. Plus, I just really like CE Agenda and was hoping to get it to work. I like the idea of using the spreadsheet for contacts. DataMaker will be perfect.

Thanks again! Lisa
 Top of the page
lisace Page Icon Posted 2011-05-01 1:04 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I found that cePIMS works on this netbook; however the trial version is limited. The calendar seems to be full functioning. Tasks and contacts won't save. There doesn't seem to be a full functioning version anywhere that I have looked. The maker of the software has a website with no info about download and purchase. Contact info leads to a dead end too.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-05-01 2:06 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You have to make sure that the tasks and contacts database is saved in an area that is non-volitile...that is a folder or drive that doesn't loose its memory when the device is shut down.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-01 3:28 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If the message from the seller is correct and it doesn't have the POOM on it then Agenda will not work. I'm not 100% sure if Odyssey's app will work without POOM, but it's worth a shot. Google for the demo of Pocket On-Schedule 6.2 for CE 4. Hopefully it is CPU compatible.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-05-02 12:06 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I want this as much as you do, Lisa.

Rich is right about cePIMS - it's not the software, it's the device. Though cePIMS is officially a demo, it is fully functional and not time-limited. However, these WM8505 netbooks don't retain user-added databases after reboot (even though they retain registry settings and files installed outside of as well as within the NAND storage area). I've tried to get around this by backing up the databases using EzBackup and then restoring them after reboot, but it only seems to work with the ceCONTACTS database. I've been working on trying to get Pocket On-Schedule to work, but I haven't succeeded on the WM8505 thus far, and anyway, you'd probably again lose the added databases after reboot.
 Top of the page
lisace Page Icon Posted 2011-05-02 1:30 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well, I'm now certifiably obsessed with finding a PIM that will work on this netbook! It's not that tasks disappear in cePIMS after reboot, it goes like this:
I create the task in the pop-up window and hit OK, and nothing happens in the main task window. It's almost as if the program doesn't recognize the pop-up window. Same goes for contacts. Is this because i need to store somewhere else? But the program does recognize the calendar portion and the calendar entries remain on reboot. Weird, right?

I'm not having luck with pocket on schedule either. Nonethelss, I appreciate all of these suggestions ...so please keep the ideas coming! I really do appreciate them.
Lisa
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-05-02 5:19 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've been also working on Pocket Informant, with no success thus far though:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15762

Don't be frightened by my last post there - the MintPad is a totally different device (running CE 5) and, anyway, the WM8505 is really easy to reflash if it crashes. (It won't, though; I've already tried more than one version of PI without causing any problems - though so far I haven't gotten it to open on the device.) There are a few other programs mentioned in this thread that might be worth trying:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8526&start=1

A few mentioned there (GEmini PIMs, Rose, and PIM Today) won't work without a registered POOM database set, which is absent from the WM8505 ROM. The others might be worth a try, though.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10