x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Still no MS Exchange support?

neomagick Page Icon Posted 2011-05-02 11:20 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hey guys -
I last looked into a native MS Exchange client for my MP900 (with Cmonex V2) in 2008 and was sadly disappointed. I figured someone must have written something by now that wasn't just a glorified desktop sync tool, but I'm astounded to still see nothing out there! With RPC over HTTPS being several years old now, and the number of HPC users connecting to the internet over wifi (even business users still), and Exchange 2010 being quite phenomenal (from the server-side anyway), I think an Exchange client that runs on CE or HPC 2000 would make a killing. I don't know, maybe most business users have switched to iphones/ipads/android now. Maybe its just nostalgia talking right now.

In any case, if anyone wishes to take such an endeavor on, I'm throwing my hat in the ring as a server ops engineer to assist with the Exchange/server side of the equation. I'd definitely like to hear some thoughts on the subject.

Cheers -
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-02 2:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That's a big project, with a lot of security issues to overcome, from SSL up to getting WebRPC to work. XML support in older CE versions is also underdeveloped, which will also cause problems in this regard.

The easier (ha ha) approcach may be to implement an Exchange ActiveSync module as exists for Windows Mobile, but I can't imagine that finding the API details to do that will be possible.
 Top of the page
neomagick Page Icon Posted 2011-05-02 6:41 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hey Chris -

Could we not pull the appropriate libraries out of say a PPC 2002 or later device? That, I believe, was the first generation with native Exchange support (though it may be 2003, I don't remember for sure). Although I don't know of (m)any other mail clients with Exchange support, so it could be MS locked it into Activesync and wouldn't let anyone else touch it.

In which case - what about pulling Activesync and the libraries from another device and incorporating them into a ? We're talking about dll's and sys files, right?

<not a dev>

Cheers.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-02 9:58 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If the dll's can be stub'd then possibly. The problem would be integrating it into Inbox... that is unlikely to work as they changed MAPI fairly substantially after Gryphon.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.230 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 28