x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Firefox 3.6 Beta 4 on Windows CE

[Frozen]
1 2
Frozen
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2011-05-05 7:21 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Which version is that? I've run across a good 9 or 10 different firefox builds for ce6 over the last few months but none get further than the splash screen on mine.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-05 9:58 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

From what I've been able to find out subsequently, this won't work on CE5 and the device needs to support DirectDraw in full.

Did anyone try fennec (FF Mobile)? http://cid-30f50c1bf7f56351.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Firefox-win...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-05-05 10:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Fennec works on my CE 6 devices as well, but it's painfully slow.

RTFM, the version I'm using is the ARMv4i version. The other two will open on the WM8505 and ZT-180, but not on the TinyBook.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2011-05-05 10:50 PM
#
H/PC Elite

If they make the source code available is it possible to compile that to another (I mean, older) platform?

Edited by ntware 2011-05-05 10:50 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-06 9:58 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Anything is possible, it's just 0 and 1's.

It isn't practical however without a team of coders all with the same test devices and quite a bit of free time.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2011-05-07 7:07 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Well sounds like another + for those CE6 smartbooks. A modern browser is what everyone wants
 Top of the page
Dana Page Icon Posted 2011-05-11 12:59 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

On my CE6 minibook none of them will run. I get part way through the splash screen, and it either hangs, or gives the "serious error" message. Pity.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2011-05-11 2:55 AM
#
H/PC Elite

ntware - 2011-05-05 4:50 PM

If they make the source code available is it possible to compile that to another (I mean, older) platform?

It's Firefox. The source has always been available since day 1. Running about:buildconfig in the url bar gives the link to the source used and the build configuration.

about:buildconfig 

Source

Built from https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-1.9.2/rev/9fe099137d5e
Build platform
target
arm-unknown-wince

Build tools
Compiler Version Compiler flags
r:/Nomoroka-Pure/dist/sdk/bin/arm-wince-gcc 15.00.20720 -TC -nologo -W3 -Gy -Fdgenerated.pdb -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -Ox
r:/Nomoroka-Pure/dist/sdk/bin/arm-wince-gcc 15.00.20720 -GR- -TP -nologo -Zc:wchar_t- -W3 -Gy -Fdgenerated.pdb -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -Ox

Configure arguments
--enable-optimize --enable-jemalloc --disable-updater --enable-splashscreen --enable-faststripe --disable-tests --enable-libxul --disable-windows-mobile-components --target=arm-wince --enable-win32-target=WINCE --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-windows --disable-ogg '--with-wince-sdk=C:\Program Files\Windows CE Tools\wce500\STANDARDSDK_500' --enable-application=browser --disable-javaxpcom --disable-accessibility --disable-printing --disable-oji --disable-vista-sdk-requirements --disable-installer --disable-dbm --enable-plugins --enable-xpinstall --enable-single-profile

Dana: I wouldn't be too disappointed. It's horribly slow on my tinybook, and its also stripped down to the point that you cant even install any add-ons (which would have made the slowness worth it). I'd still recommend ZetaKey, Iris or Opera mini browsers if you want modern with usable speed on CE.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-05-11 7:50 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I didn't find it horribly slow on my TinyBook, though it is definitely slower than Opera Mini. It seems tolerable if you're multitasking. I'm also getting similar results on the Wabook Sky I just picked up. It actually seems a bit faster on the Wabook than on my 7" WM8505 netbook, even though the Wabook has the same processor. As I said, it seems to have potential, if the Mozilla folks or some other programming-savvy people are willing to keep working on it.
 Top of the page
1 2
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.168 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9