x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

remote access with WinCE4.1

ntware Page Icon Posted 2011-05-04 2:34 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Is there a way to access my Windows or Mac home computer using some kind of Logmein client for Windows CE? With the iPad, I can use Logmein client and it works perfectly over internet connection. I heard about Remote Desktop Client for WinCE but it gives access only to windows machines and only for local LAN connections, right? How can I setup such connection over internet? Is it a logmein client for ppc or wince? If logmein client is not available, is there another software I can install on my pc and mac and use them remotely on my Sig3 WinCE device?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-04 8:04 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Remote Desktop works over the Internet, there is also a fairly primitive VNC client as well. Articles on setting up both in support.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2011-05-04 10:03 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The biggest problem with Remote Desktop and the VNC client approach is that in both you need to type the IP address of the server. So say that, for example, I'm at work and ask my wife to turn on my home computer for remote access. She probably wont know how to look for the IP address to give me (as the IP usually changes from time to time)

The solution I7m looking for is to connect to my computer typing only it's name or some password, like logmein or similars. This way I don't need to keep checking the IP number for connection.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2011-05-05 1:46 AM
#
H/PC Elite

wow....that's amazing! I'm posting this message using Windows 7 on my little Sig3... hehehe, of course that over Remote Desktop. Unfortunately I'm using it over LAN. I'm trying to figure it out how to use Remote Desktop over internet in a simple way. But I must say that I'm really impressed!! Over wifi, the speed is incredible. I feel like if I had installed Windows 7 on my HPC. The remote desktop automatically adjust the resolution to 800x480 instead of streching the screen or putting a lot of rolling bars. But this will make usage kinda hard for HPC with low resolution (like Jornadas poor 640x240). I will try it out on my Jornada 728 latter and tell you guys.

Anyway, if someone figure out how to simplify the connection over internet, please tell me!

Thanks
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2011-05-05 4:23 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Hi again friends!!

I finally figured out how to configure Remote Desktop on my windows 7 and it's really fun! Just for reference to someone else that wants to do the same thing, basically I had to forward a port on my router (port 3389, the default for RDP connections) so that any connection from Remote Desktop Client comming to this port will be forwarded to my PC. You can check the internet for specific instructions about port forwarding of your router. The second problem was with IP. As my ISP keeps changing my IP every once in a while, I created a method for anyone that can turn on my pc be abble to get my IP. I just downloaded Show My IP Software and put a link at the Startup folder on StartMenu. So every time my PC boots up, it shows the main screen of Show My IP Software with my IP written in big letters! So I just need to ask whosoever turned on my pc to tell me those numbers! Is not THAT simple, but works...
Below are some screenshots of my Sig3 with Windows7. The user experience is amazing. I really feel like having a small Win7 tablet.

PS: at normal use, the WinCE taskbar is hidden. I just forced it to show up to click at the CaptCE icon to take the screenshot
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-05 9:42 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

ntware have a look at www.dyndns.org. This gives you a domain name that automatically and instantly is re-addressed whenever you IP address changes. Many routers support these services internally, so you don't even need to install the client on the machine.

To get to your machine from the Internet you need to port redirect TCP 3389 from your router to you PC and open the firewall port for 3389/Remote Desktop. Then just use the IP or the above dynamic dns to access the machine.
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2011-05-05 10:43 PM
#
H/PC Elite

c:amie, I already figuret out how to connect over Internet using the 3389 redirection. But I didn't get the Dinamic DNS stuff... Can you give me more information? Do I need to keep my computer on all the time? If there is a way to do it using my router is better because my router keeps on all the time, 24/7.

Thanks again!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-06 9:57 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I think fairly obviously if you want to remote access your PC, it has to be on

What do you want to know? Look in your router manual for Dynamic DNS
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2011-05-07 2:10 AM
#
H/PC Elite

heheh... I know, sure it must be on, but I mean that I don't leave it on 24/7. What I usually do when I need to remote access my pc is that I give a call home and ask anybody to turn my pc on. But asking them to look my IP address is not an easy task. That's why I was looking for an easier way to get access to my pc...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-07 9:31 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Well the first thing to do - as said - is to look at your router manual / admin interface to see if it has a dynamic DNS screen. Then come back and we can take you down the Router or PC configuration.

If you standby your computer instead of turn it off it is possible to get it to remote wake when you want to log-in.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-11 12:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Have you made any progress here ntware?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9