x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

J728 hiccups "qwertyuiop"

drsills Page Icon Posted 2011-05-21 10:09 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,

I was thrilled to finally get my 728 working with a new screen, new battery and a wi-fi card. Load it with Opera and you've got a solid, useful little PDA. Then the keyboard started to ejaculate "qwertyuiop" occasionally -- out of the blue, and for no apparent reason, although a light tap on the side of the unit returned function to normal. While it suffered these spells, however, the keyboard would do nothing. The occasions began to grow in period and number and some other characters until the power button stopped working, too. Now that the unit is spontaneously turning itself on and off, I have replaced the keyboard. That ought to have fixed it, hey? But it didn't.

Did I not seat the ribbon correctly? Is there another likely locus for error in the chain of connection that ends in the keyboard? What can I do?
Snap. I really like this thing.

Thanks!
 Top of the page
drsills Page Icon Posted 2011-05-24 11:30 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've re-seated the ribbon from the keyboard and it has stopped hiccupping "qwertyuiop," but now I have a new problem: the on/off button is unresponsive and the unit pops in and out of standby sporadically -- very bad for battery life.

Any advice, anybody?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-24 1:39 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you have eliminated the keyboard as the cause then the most likely issue is the motherboard. Something would seem to be shorting out, but unless you can see obvious damage or obvious residue on the PCB that is causing it. I would suggest either learning electrical enginerring or replacing the board .
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-05-24 2:44 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Since the rom module can easily be "bumped" when removing the keyboard, I would pull it and reseat it several times to make sure the problem wasn't in that area. Also go back to the original keyboard and see what symptoms occur, if any...

Alas, the only other probability is the motherboard...or at least the connector on the motherboard...
 Top of the page
drsills Page Icon Posted 2011-05-24 3:53 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the helpful advice, Rich. Is it ironic you put the "err" in "engineering," See-Colon?
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-05-24 8:46 PM
#
Avatar image of MobilePro Master
H/PC Philosopher

Something similar happened to me with a Palm m130. It rapidly turned on and off until I hard reset it and lost my data.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10