x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What are the differences between CE 1 & 2?

aab Page Icon Posted 2011-06-08 5:42 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I'd like to know before deciding if I want a CE 1 device.

Thanks
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-06-08 8:52 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Biggest difference: you can't use ActiveSync with a CE 1 device - only its predecessor, Handheld PC Explorer (which, conversely, can't be used with CE 2 or later devices). See these links for more details:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=20

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/i/S0014.asp

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/i/S0017.asp
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-06-08 10:14 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No cascading start menu, PIE 1 vs PIE 2, a lot less application support as the runtimes are different as CE 1 apps could only be written in MS C++ 5 at considerable expense. No Pocket PowerPoint.
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2011-06-08 6:43 PM
#
H/PC Elite

What does the start menu look like if it's not cascading? Is there a screen shot anywhere? I don't understand, wouldn't that limit it to the height of the screen which is like 7 items. What if you want an 8th item in your start menu?

Thanks
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-06-08 7:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

When you tap programs it loads Windows Explorer (file browser) with a 32x32 icon list; think of it like an iPad. Think of it like an iPad 15 years before the invention of the iPad.

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/windowsce/wince10/
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-06-09 6:49 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2011-06-08 11:06 AM
Think of it like an iPad 15 years before the invention of the iPad.

LOL
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2011-06-09 7:08 PM
#
H/PC Elite

...and without being poorly made by a careless company with zero ethics like Apple (with Apple products you pay twice the price for a quarter of the functionality, a boatload of bugs and hardware design flaws, and a company that blames its customers for problems of it's own fault). Not to mention Apple is the most polluting technology company and pushes it's manufacturing plant employees to such inhumane conditions they have very high suicide rates and employees report dropping things all the time on purpose because they are forced to work standing up with just a few minutes to eat per day and leaning down to pick things up is the best feeling they ever have in their "life".

Sorry but Apple enrages me with their extreme lack of ethics, at least they make it easy to find gullible and easily manipulated zombies that just do what their TV ads tell them to do (those with iPhones and iPads), because anyone bothered to do research would see it's illogical to buy an Apple product with what all other companies offer that's superior and costs less.

Anyway back to Windows CE 1.0, other than no cascading start menu, are there other limitations? Does it support the same pocket excel/word files as CE 2.0? On my 700 I have the choice for Pocket Excel 1.0 or Pocket Excel, would I need to save as 1.0 for the files to open on CE 1.0?

And if I do decide to get another grayscale handheld, would you recommend I avoid CE 1.0 and try to find a 2.0 model or would a 1.0 be ok? Does CE 1.0 support 2 GB partitions? If not then it's eliminated as a possible choice.

I also read CE 1.0 required software to be made differently so there isn't much for CE 1.0, is this true?

Thanks

Edited by aab 2011-06-09 7:14 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-06-09 8:08 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I said that 4 posts up lol. It only supports host installs too, no cab's.

Yes the Office formats are different.

CE 2 is the way to go. It supports networking if you install my NSP and is by far the all round more useful choice. CE 1 is only useful if you want to have some nostalgia.

You'll be elated to read this then: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/08/apple_copies_rejected_app/
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-06-09 8:30 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

WOW I would say that is a rip off...

aab, don't hold back next time, tell us how you really feel about apple
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2011-06-10 3:00 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Thanks, looks like I'll look at CE 2 devices then if I want another. The CE 1 devices that can be upgraded, is it all by physically changing the chip or do some (and which) support flash upgrades like new devices do?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-06-10 4:50 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No CE device prior to CE 3 used a flashable ROM, so upgrading always required physical ROM chip replacement.

After reading that article, C:Amie, maybe I'll stop looking at Newtons.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-06-10 9:44 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Newtons, haha
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 50 - Executed queries : 29