x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Flash Memory Card Question

Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2011-06-10 2:57 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Does it fragment or otherwise "mess up" a CF or SD card to edit and delete individual files residing on it? Will editing text files on the card mess it up? How about resizing images? On an SD card I'm currently using such activity seems to be ending up in more error messages than normal. Or is it just a defective card? Thanks!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-06-10 5:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Fragment, yes absolutely, however CF has a universal seek time (no moving parts) so it's not much of a problem.

Reads are free, writes incur a usage cost. The more writes you do on a sector, the closer to its MTBF you will get. This is tens of thousands of writes though. If the card is old you'll be closer to the MTBF. If you have got a legitimate problem then you'll find that sector is completely dead and unusuable. If sector is working still you're having other problems.

Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2011-06-12 1:14 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks much, this helps. I need to read up on flash memory. Am fascinated with it. That's a decent amount of write cycles for my needs.

The capacity of today's Flash memory cards is really impressive IMHO.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 8