x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jlime installation error on Nec Mobilepro 900

rohit Page Icon Posted 2011-07-16 7:11 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I WAS TRYING TO INSTALL JLIME ON MY MOBILEPRO 900, EVERYTHING WAS DONE AS PER THE DOCUMENTATION AS PER THE WEBSITE.
AFTER ALL THE STRESS OF PARITIONING THE FLASH CARD..
I GOT THE FOLLOWING ERROR..

"ROOT=/DEV/HDA2" NOT found
kernel Panic
VFS cannot mount

I dont understand a bit of this error.. i ahve tried all the zImage files on the website.. but still I am getting the same error.

I used the Henchman.tar--------( All the versions avaliable on website"
Haret.exe as kernel
Bootloader file which read as below
# boot a kernel with HaRET
#
# have the kernel zImage and the Haret executable in the same dir as this file
# this file if named 'startup.txt' will automatically launch the kernel when you start Haret
#
# 'set MTYPE 659' is for the NEC MobilePro900c
#
# in CMDLINE change 'root=' to point to the location of your root filesystem
# eg 'root=/dev/hda1' is the first partition on your CF card
# and 'root=/dev/hda2' is the second partition
#
set KERNEL zImage-2.6.23mp900c
set MTYPE 659
set CMDLINE "console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 root=/dev/hda2"
bootlinux

i have tried mentioning "hda1" , "sda1","sdb1","sdb2"
I believe its not the problem with the Henchman file or is it???
I have the following partitions
sdb1 as boot flag which is fat-1GB
sdb2 which is of ext2-2GB
sdb3 as SWAP-1GB

i loaded the boot files in the Fat ie the Haret.exe Zimage and startup.txt file in fat system

Please help me out in removing this error and getting Jlime installed in My Nec Mobilepro 900..
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2011-07-17 1:18 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Not knowing anything practical about installing Henchman (just looking on), do you know if it matters whether or not you have upgraded your machine to a 900c versus a 900? The hardware is the same, but the OS (and more importantly, the bootloader) will be different between the 2 machines. It's a small point, but you call your machine a 900 and the comments (granted, it's open-source stuff) refer to a 900c.
 Top of the page
rohit Page Icon Posted 2011-07-17 11:47 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

How do you upgrade MP900 to Mp 900C.. it would be great if you let me know the procedure.. Also how to get rid of the Jlime error "root=/dev/hda2" not found one.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2011-07-17 6:08 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Read through http://hpcmonex.net/ and in particular the 900/900c support part. If you haven't done so yet, see also http://sites.google.com/site/necmobpro/my-mobilepro/nec-mobilepros/... for an overview of the MP900/900C. Personally, I like the cmonex ROM 2.0, but YMMV. Others apparently love the HPC2000 (900) version, maybe with patches. I'm a pretty low-power user of my handhelds.

Like I said, I don't use Jlime (the project was a HP Jornada open-source user project that spread into/onto other platforms... that doesn't make it bad, just maybe explains in part why the project lost steam on NEC hardware...). Your root problem is purely linux-based and I suspect it basically means that your installation package doesn't know how to deal with your un-upgraded machine. So, if my suspicion is true, the problem will go away.

Good luck and you might want to wait abit before acting.
 Top of the page
rohit Page Icon Posted 2011-07-17 8:18 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you man that was very help full... last thing how do you boot from usb pen drive to upgrade.. because i am using my pendrive (Trancend 4GB) to upgrade. I tried that C+F procedure mentioned on the website you gave... But a error popped up stating cannot find OS... Is it bec im using a pendrive..
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 29