x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

So I spent twenty bucks (USD) and all I got was this awesome MobilePro 790...!

torch Page Icon Posted 2011-07-30 4:02 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Well, Operation:Buy MobilePro 790 for 20$usd from Craigslist was a go and was successful.

I love it so much! It has a much better keyboard than my Sylvania Netbook (the 7inch Chinese things) haha and HPC2000 really does rock! I had been messing with CE 6.0 on my Netbook, but the screen and of course touchscreen is so much better on the MobilePro--not to mention battery life is more than two hours (unlike that netbook! lol).

This is probably the best twenty I ever spent! It came with the MobilePro 790 (um...of course?), original NEC AC adapter, original stylus, manuals, CD, CF card, serial cable (which I heard is hard to find), USB to serial, and USB to IrDA. The USB serial/irda alone would've been worth the 20 bucks if the 790 didn't work...but it's soo much more epic when everything works.

(By the way, I apologise if I seem spazzy, I'm just so happy with it!)

I probably should've messed with HPC2000 before naïvely giving up on H/PCs four years ago.

Now I'm debating on what to get for it, mainly a wireless and/or ethernet chip, 2gb CF card, and well...yeah. It really is a great device . Now to go app crazy with only a 64mb CF... And by the way, that flash ROM partition was an unexpected surprise and I am debating on that RAM upgrade to 48mb that CE Geek mentioned...

Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-07-30 12:55 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Very happy for you...and what a great deal. So I guess this means you will be sticking around for a while???
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-07-30 3:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The 790 was my all time favorite of the MIPS HPCs. I never had problem one with mine. What battery came with it? BA14? Congrats...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2011-07-30 5:28 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Yoldering, yes, it does mean I'll be sticking around for a while

Rich Hawley, I looked and it came with the BA14A..

I'm also wondering if that VGA cable (if I can find it) is worth it lol.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-07-30 6:31 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Cool, the BA-14 is the higher capacity battery made for the 790. You can use the 780 (BA-9) battery with it, but it has a little less capacity than the BA-14. I've had a VGA cable for years, and rarely use it...I just keep it for experimental use. They are pretty easy to find and pretty cheap too.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2011-07-31 5:59 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Oh, awesome about the battery, even more reason to love this thing! The epic part is I was playing with it for a few hours I think--with the screen up all the way I think...and after all of that---still over 80% left. If this were my 7" Netbook, goodness knows it'd be dead by now lol. The scroll wheel is very useful by the way--I'm really using that one a lot.

I'm glad the VGA cable can be found for cheap, it would be useful to perhaps present stuff when I don't want to lug my behemoth of 17" notebook around. Blegh.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2011-08-04 1:16 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Slight skewing of thread subject to an ethernet card question; as this is in regards to my 790, it is technically relevant I presume, as I didn't want to seem trolly and create a new thread. Let me know if this presumption was incorrect.

So I was set to meet to get a Xircom CE3B-100BTX ethernet card today, but events being how they are, the person was unable to meet, but suggested tomorrow. In retrospect, this is good, as I was getting kinda iffy on this card, so hopefully I can figure it out by tomorrow.

Anyway, I found the driver in the HCL and wanted to test out the driver (the CE 2.11 mips one), and it installed but after a reset, the icons are all gone in the system and the Control Panel after having the hourglass, it just does not load..period. No icons, no labels. I had to do a hard reset of the 790 to get it back to normal, as soft resetting appears to do nothing. I used the handy search function, but most refer to the Jornada 720, though one thread here: http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9858&pos...

..the person had had the exact same issue..

Now, in looking through all of the Xircom threads, I found references to NE2000, which, if I understand correctly, is like a generic ethernet driver that some cards can be plug and play? I tried looking through the CESD for an explanation, but perhaps I've not searched it too well.

Anyway, after all of that, let me be concise here in my question---does the Xircom CE3B-100BTX work on the MobilePro 790 with MIPS processor and HPC2000 with another driver or out of the box (plug/play?), or do I need to try the even more outdated CE2.0 mips driver??
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.141 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 8