x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Rules on posting ROM (OS) image files?

torch Page Icon Posted 2011-08-04 4:02 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Hi, I'm sorry to trouble you all, and I did do a search, but came up emptyhanded. (Perhaps I'm not searching correctly?)

Anyway, I had a question about the forum rules. I am not trying to be/seem sarcastic, etc, just an honest question. I know that the site has a fair policy on warez, I have no issue with that, but where is the line between legal and not so legal..? Is there a grey area? I mean in regards to ROM image posting for devices here at the site, ie those ARM netbooks, Simpads, etc....

In short, my question is, and perhaps give examples... how does one tell if they're okay or not okay? I am of course excluding obvious things, but I just mean the ROM images...

If I need to clarify any/all of my points, please let me know..

Thank you!
 Top of the page Quote Reply
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-08-04 5:07 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, there's one case that's pretty clear: when the OEM releases the ROM itself, as NEC, Siemens (except for the Mullenger CE 4.2 image), ViewSonic, and some others have done. The idea then is to keep them available in case the OEM's download pages are eventually closed.
torch Page Icon Posted 2011-08-04 5:15 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Oh okay I see, now in regards to those ARM netbooks...what about then? I'm referring to if people make their own custom script zip ROMs for those Chinese netbooks..? Your post is pretty clear now on the OEM supplied stuff, just was wondering about those ARM netbooks..
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-08-04 9:03 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

My view is that if the ROM's contain any commercial software we don't want them posted. Kitchen Scripts, build lists and instructions are fine - this allows members to create their own using their own software licenses. If the ROM's contain vanilla CE, open source or freeware I'm more liberal, however we won't host them for you.

This all works on the assumption that your device has a CE license, therefore you're modding your own OS or an upgrade that your OEM has put out for it.
torch Page Icon Posted 2011-08-04 10:16 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Yes, yes of course, I see now. I am currently in the process of installing Visual Studio and CE 6R3 eval stuff so I can hopefully get CE6r3+all updates through June 2011 on my ARM Chinese netbook (so it can have docx viewing, and I perhaps can play with Flash Lite and Silverlight) I just needed some clarification on this. Thank you, CE Geek and C:Amie.
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8